PDA

View Full Version : Awright computer gurus....

punkncat
05-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Along the lines of my last thread...still working on this machine. I have an issue and am stumped as to which way to go. I am trying not to reformat the machine again, but it's really starting to look that way.

In the aftermath of the spyware, adware, and virus' that attacked this computer it has lost some key functionality. Big suprize right?
The only issue that I have left that I cannot figure out how to correct had so do with access to certain sites. I can surf most anywhere with no issue, but cannot go to any email client like hotmail or gmail, am unable to navigate to myspace, facebook, or the like, and seach engines will not "go" as it were. I can get to Google, but once I enter a query it just churns. Same with the others listed. I get the taskbar and a "waiting for:url" and then it just acts as if I never tried to navigate there.
I am running a fresh upgrade to IE7 and have also downloaded firefox. Both are acting exactly the same. I have tried resetting the defaults, lowering the security settings and even running without the av/spy program and get the same results.

trevorjk
05-27-2008, 09:11 AM
try this

start
run
run - type in "cmd" then click "ok"

once command window pops open type this in

" ipconfig /flushdns " (without the quotes)

i had a similar problem about a month or so ago and i had to flush my DNS. i also had to repair my connection. which is easy to do also. right click on your active internet icon on the lower right hand taskbar. then click repair.

punkncat
05-27-2008, 09:25 AM
try this

start
run
run - type in "cmd" then click "ok"

once command window pops open type this in

" ipconfig /flushdns " (without the quotes)

i had a similar problem about a month or so ago and i had to flush my DNS. i also had to repair my connection. which is easy to do also. right click on your active internet icon on the lower right hand taskbar. then click repair.

That was a negative capt.....

trevorjk
05-27-2008, 10:29 AM
then this is beyond me :p gl with the fix

Snooch
05-27-2008, 10:29 AM
You might still have some malware on your machine.

But try the following: (no particular order)

-Turn off Windows firewall if you have it enabled.

-Download all available critical Windows updates if not already updated.

- If you are using a router, try bypassing the router and plug the computer directly into your broadband modem.

MournBlade
05-27-2008, 10:35 AM
In IE7 - Tools Menu -> Internet Options -> Security Tab -> {Internet Medium High, Restricted Sites Empty} -> Privacy Tab {Medium , click Sites Button - empty Sites} -> Advanced Tab {Click Reset Button}

Hexis
05-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Just a hunch, check the hosts file. It's in:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\

I wonder if a piece of malware replaced it with a compromised version and now their proxy is not working. Can't hurt to look at in any case.

In a default file you will some comments at top (lines starting with #) and one real entry:

127.0.0.1 localhost

There should not really be a need for much else in the vast majority of cases.

bunny5
05-28-2008, 08:12 AM
I am trying not to reformat the machine again, but it's really starting to look that way.

So you have a clean install of everything on the machine now? Or are you trying to avoid wiping the machine completely?

Ruler_Mark
05-28-2008, 01:44 PM
download this:
http://www.opera.com/download/

and use that.

Since viriuses have to target a browzer they are all hooked to infest for IE and firefox the top 2 used browzers. I have 0 malware on my computer and built it nearly a year ago.