PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Gun/Flakey Trigger

xl2000rider
05-27-2008, 03:51 PM
I have a minimag with the ULE mainbody with the X-Valve and LVL 10 bolt. The gun hadn't been fired for a while, and when it was aired up it was leaking down the barrel, I removed the valve, replaced all o-rings and re-installed the valve and still have the same problem. What else could be causing leaks?

In addition, when I fire the gun it shoots ok for a variable amount of times and then it appears to stick and the on/off pin doesn't push out the trigger rod. It seems to build up pressure and then push out the trigger rod.

questionful
05-27-2008, 04:53 PM
I would re-install your old O-rings if I were you. Try to find out exactly what the problem is first so you don't have to waste your spares.

Air it up. Does it leak?
Push on the front of your bolt with your finger. Does the leak change?
Pull the trigger and hold it down. Does it leak now?

Try a tighter carrier for your lvl10. Keep going tighter until it stops leaking. If it doesn't stop leaking, try taking away shims. I'm pretty sure what you have is just a lvl10 problem

secretweaponevan
05-27-2008, 04:58 PM
I have a minimag with the ULE mainbody with the X-Valve and LVL 10 bolt. The gun hadn't been fired for a while, and when it was aired up it was leaking down the barrel, I removed the valve, replaced all o-rings and re-installed the valve and still have the same problem. What else could be causing leaks? Not enough oil

In addition, when I fire the gun it shoots ok for a variable amount of times and then it appears to stick and the on/off pin doesn't push out the trigger rod. It seems to build up pressure and then push out the trigger rod.Not enough oil

Put in your original o-rings.
Add 3 drops of oil to your ASA.
Remove barrel and fire 20 or so shots to disperse oil.
Don't over-tighten your frame screws.

lidocaine
05-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Isnt a leak down the barrel with a level 10 usually caused by too large a carrier?

,Lidocaine

xl2000rider
05-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Aired it up-Leaks
Pushed on bolt-Leak doesn't change
Held trigger-Still Leaks

When it was opened up there were no shims. Could this be an issue?

Also, where can different size carriers be purchased?

First attempt was the oil in the ASA and firing helped a bit, leak was pretty big at first, this made the leak smaller.

secretweaponevan
05-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Aired it up-Leaks
Pushed on bolt-Leak doesn't change
Held trigger-Still Leaks (leaky on/off o-ring, add oil, if that doesn't work, change on/off top teflon o-ring)

When it was opened up there were no shims. Could this be an issue? (Nope. don't use shims unless you have bolt stick after a jam. Excess shims CAUSE leaks.)

Also, where can different size carriers be purchased? http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=296&categoryID=38 or http://www.tunamart.com/index.php?c=18&p=296 (same price at either, be sure to specify size)

First attempt was the oil in the ASA and firing helped a bit, leak was pretty big at first, this made the leak smaller.(Add 2 drops of oil down the powertube and into the on/off once you pull out the on/off bottom)

answers in bold and red.

LVL 10 quick tuning:
Follow these steps in order.
1. Break in carrier o-ring with 1000 shots in carrier #2 (2 lines, no dots on side of carrier).
2. Move broken-in white carrier o-ring to largest carrier that does not leak.
3. If bolt sticks on squeegy test, add shims until it resets reliably.
4. Chrono marker to field speed. (this is important, don't just do it by sound)
5. If gun breaks paint (test with no loader and make an electrical tape string for paintball to hang only halfway in breach) use a longer mainspring (on the contrary, if bolt continuously "LVL 10's" or "chuffs" use a shorter mainspring).
6. Profit.

athomas
05-28-2008, 05:11 AM
I have a minimag with the ULE mainbody with the X-Valve and LVL 10 bolt. The gun hadn't been fired for a while, and when it was aired up it was leaking down the barrel, I removed the valve, replaced all o-rings and re-installed the valve and still have the same problem. What else could be causing leaks?

In addition, when I fire the gun it shoots ok for a variable amount of times and then it appears to stick and the on/off pin doesn't push out the trigger rod. It seems to build up pressure and then push out the trigger rod.The leaking is most likely a result of too many shims in the powertube. The sticking you are experiencing after a few shots is most likely a carrier size that is too tight. Go to the next larger carrier. Always use the same white carrier oring when changing carrier sizes.

xl2000rider
05-28-2008, 11:55 AM
The gun also appears to have the ULT trigger modification as the ON/OFF pin is cut down in the middle and then it expands to a bigger head on both ends. Should the Top and Bottom of the ON/OFF valve have some play in it when it is all put together?

On the carrier, how do you know what size it is? In the valve that I have I only have the carrier and there are no spacers for the power tube. Is the carrier used in place of the spacer?

Also, thanks a lot for all of the responses.

athomas
05-28-2008, 05:25 PM
The ULT pin is two pieces. The top is large with the middle being really small. The bottom section is larger than the top section and slides over the small middle section. There may be some play until the marker is aired up. At that time the pin will rotate the sear forward. There may be a tiny amount of play in the trigger assembly when the trigger is fully forward (approximately 1/16").

The carrier sizes are indicated by rings cut around the outside of the carrier and dots drilled into the outside of the carrier. Each line represents a 1 and a dot represents a 0.5. A carrier with just a line around it would be a size 1. A carrier with a line and dot would be a size 1.5.

The combination of the carrier and the shims replace the spacer and powertube oring. You don't use spacers with the carriers in the powertube. However, there may be thin shims in front of the carrier. The shims do nothing except allow the bolt to vent air sooner in the cycle. This allows any breach blockage to cause the bolt to get rid of excess air from the chamber to allow it to reset. If you have a blockage or bolt stick and the gun vents, then adding shims won't help you.

xl2000rider
06-13-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't have the leak down the barrel anymore, but, now I have a leak when the trigger pin is out and ready to fire and it goes away if I pull the trigger. When firing I still have the intermittent firing with the trigger sticking.

athomas
06-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Sticking is caused by a carrier that is too tight. Use the next size larger. If you have a leak when the trigger rod is out and ready to fire, then remove a couple of shims from the powertube. When sizing the carrier, the shims should be removed anyway.