PDA

View Full Version : Info on AGD Z-body?

Redbeard the Pirate
05-29-2008, 10:57 AM
I read somewhere that AGD started devoloping a body that put backspin on the ball and called it the Z-body... did that ever go into production? I've tried googling all kinds of varieties of "Zbody" but I'm not finding anything... pics would be great as well! I'm looking for any info on this thing!

punkncat
05-29-2008, 11:00 AM
It was not made my AGD, it was called the Galactic Systems Z body.

http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/287/

There you go.

trevorjk
05-29-2008, 11:05 AM

There you go.

i think that was the fastest response with actual information to a new guys post ever. nice job :cheers:

punkncat
05-29-2008, 11:07 AM
i think that was the fastest response with actual information to a new guys post ever. nice job :cheers:

;)

I can be nice, sometimes.

Smoothice
05-29-2008, 11:38 AM
If your looking to buy one

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229654

DevilMan
05-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Well Punk beat me too it...

Was designed/built by a guy in Japan. :D

Back in the day. I was shooting one in 96 or so.

Any other info you need, just ask.

DM

Redbeard the Pirate
05-29-2008, 11:51 AM

There you go.

Wow, thank you so much!

Redbeard the Pirate
05-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Well Punk beat me too it...

Was designed/built by a guy in Japan. :D

Back in the day. I was shooting one in 96 or so.

Any other info you need, just ask.

DM

Sure, what did you think of it? Did it affect the ball flight noticably or was it pretty much a gimmick?

trevorjk
05-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Sure, what did you think of it? Did it affect the ball flight noticably or was it pretty much a gimmick?

you had to have a super huge bore barrel like a .697 for it to actually work. if i remember correctly with a huge bore barrel it did work relatively well. but ill let others answers this question

DevilMan
05-29-2008, 12:50 PM
It works... Though it has been found that if you use fragile paint it can come apart when you put too much force on it. Also it's not that you have to have a .697 barrel. But you need a LOOSE fit. That means not a barrel that you have to push a ball through. Depends on the paint of course and I tend to have small bore paint alot of the time so when I do use it, it does well.

It also depends on the shell of the paint. If it's a super slick smooth glossy shell it works less. If it's like Evil paint which is more dull in color and a bit rougher to the touch it seems to work better as it has more grip.

All in all??? Gimmick??? Nahhhh not really as it does work. Though it matters most when you have higher quality/more consistent paint to get the most out of it. You also lose a bit of breakability sometimes as the spin on the ball helps to pull the ball off of target instead of smacking flat on it.

Is it worth it?? Worth what??? I know when the bodies hit the market they were $300+ or so IIRC... but now as Smoothice can contend they don't move too fast these days. As for me I've got 2 of them. I played with the team of the inventor and was shooting it back in the day over in Japan when he was making them in his shop. So to me it's more of sentimental type thing, though I do take mine out and run it just because it's a mag. I don't tweak with the spin too often but do once in awhile when I feel like being funny. I have a tendency to be up front and close enough that I don't need the flatter trajectory most of the time.

Also the steel ring on the inside is super tight tolerance that only likes LVL 7 bolts. I'm in the process of adjusting mine and putting the LVL X in it, but as they are the slight swell on the tip of a LX bolt is enough to keep it from working well in the body.

I can't tell ya what they are worth because to me they are different. I figure they are a tad bit heavier than the ULE body, and powerfeed instead of vert so it all depends on how well you like it as to what it's worth.

Perhaps in the next few weeks I'll work on getting some video footage of what it's capable of taken and uploaded.

Hope it helps,

DM

Chronobreak
05-29-2008, 01:18 PM
if your not set on having one for nostalgic purposes then just get an apex, they are much more consistent and easy to work with, the only downside is theyr a bit bulky at the end.

maddboy32
05-29-2008, 01:41 PM
i've shot one before and i think they're great. they are just as good as flatline barrels. its really amazing, you can get about TWICE the distance on the same FPS. if you pic one up i would sujest hunting down a "Z-Barrel". they were made for the "Z-Body", the bore size is .697 i think.

Redbeard the Pirate
05-29-2008, 01:56 PM
It works... Though it has been found that if you use fragile paint it can come apart when you put too much force on it. Also it's not that you have to have a .697 barrel. But you need a LOOSE fit. That means not a barrel that you have to push a ball through. Depends on the paint of course and I tend to have small bore paint alot of the time so when I do use it, it does well.

It also depends on the shell of the paint. If it's a super slick smooth glossy shell it works less. If it's like Evil paint which is more dull in color and a bit rougher to the touch it seems to work better as it has more grip.

All in all??? Gimmick??? Nahhhh not really as it does work. Though it matters most when you have higher quality/more consistent paint to get the most out of it. You also lose a bit of breakability sometimes as the spin on the ball helps to pull the ball off of target instead of smacking flat on it.

Is it worth it?? Worth what??? I know when the bodies hit the market they were $300+ or so IIRC... but now as Smoothice can contend they don't move too fast these days. As for me I've got 2 of them. I played with the team of the inventor and was shooting it back in the day over in Japan when he was making them in his shop. So to me it's more of sentimental type thing, though I do take mine out and run it just because it's a mag. I don't tweak with the spin too often but do once in awhile when I feel like being funny. I have a tendency to be up front and close enough that I don't need the flatter trajectory most of the time.

Also the steel ring on the inside is super tight tolerance that only likes LVL 7 bolts. I'm in the process of adjusting mine and putting the LVL X in it, but as they are the slight swell on the tip of a LX bolt is enough to keep it from working well in the body.

I can't tell ya what they are worth because to me they are different. I figure they are a tad bit heavier than the ULE body, and powerfeed instead of vert so it all depends on how well you like it as to what it's worth.

Perhaps in the next few weeks I'll work on getting some video footage of what it's capable of taken and uploaded.

Hope it helps,

DM

Very helpfull, thank you!

Redbeard the Pirate
05-29-2008, 01:58 PM
if your not set on having one for nostalgic purposes then just get an apex, they are much more consistent and easy to work with, the only downside is theyr a bit bulky at the end.

Yup, have an apex, but having apex performance without the big bulky barrel cap sounded appealing enough to investigate :D

paint magnet
05-30-2008, 11:30 AM
They were originally sold with a .697 bore LAPCO BigShot.

TeamJackal37
05-30-2008, 12:09 PM
I use CP barrel size .696 it works great on my Z body, and it shoot further than Flatline

hmudd13
05-31-2008, 10:53 PM
I have one, and just used it at Fledgings Red Mars in Colorado. I went up to the chrono, took a few shots and amazed the kid there.
Turns out I was only shooting at 220 fps. When I brought it up to 280, the kid's jaw dropped.
I love it.
The only problem I have is with the really small paint being sold these days, it tends to double feed a lot.
Mine has the Lapco .697 barrel.
It needs paint a little bigger than .685 IMO.

custar
06-01-2008, 12:10 AM
For those who have one, can you describe or photo the pad that imparts the spin on the balls? I have a Zbody but the pad is missing. I also don't suppose there is a source for those pads, so it looks like I will have to make one for myself, perhaps out of silicone caulk.

custar

OneUp
06-01-2008, 04:22 AM
i have it right now.

you have to hold the gun vertical, if it is slanted a little bit it begins to shoot curving to that side.

but yes it does have an effect, ball seems to float in comparison to regular shots.

look, it has detents and cocker threaded for barrels, so even if the backspin is not sought after, it is a unique look with contemporary features for your mag.

edit:

For those who have one, can you describe or photo the pad that imparts the spin on the balls? I have a Zbody but the pad is missing. I also don't suppose there is a source for those pads, so it looks like I will have to make one for myself, perhaps out of silicone caulk.

custar
I do not have it with me (studying away from home) but will have it in a few weeks.

From what I remember, the screw that pushes the pad seems to "squish" it into the chamber instead of lowering it. Also, there is a small spring between the plate and the screw to resist the screw. This drawing is all I can come up with at the moment.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/11/p6010124ir7.jpg

Smoothice
06-01-2008, 05:00 AM

custar

pm'ed you wiih instructions :cheers:

TeamJackal37
06-01-2008, 10:28 AM

custar

I just pm'd about the Pictures