PDA

View Full Version : Classic valve problem: restoring after 2 years

tiroth
06-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Hi, I'm hoping the experts here can help me out. I just pulled my Minimag (classic valve) out after not playing for 2 years and I have some problems.

The symptoms are I'll get a few good shots then the power to the bolt becomes very inconsistent, causing me to chop paint, double feed, or just have a weak shot. Waiting a few seconds seems to solve the problem.

When I start to pull the trigger, I hear a hiss prior to the shot most of the time. If I hold in the trigger completely after the shot, I get a rapid chuff-chuff-chuff sound as though it is trying to fire without recharging.

I cleaned/lubed it, replaced any o-rings. The only part I did not dissassemble is the regulator.

Any thoughts on what to do next? Thanks!

Spider-TW
06-05-2008, 08:00 AM
If I hold in the trigger completely after the shot, I get a rapid chuff-chuff-chuff sound as though it is trying to fire without recharging.

I cleaned/lubed it, replaced any o-rings. The only part I did not dissassemble is the regulator.

Any thoughts on what to do next? Thanks!
If you hear anything while holding the trigger down, it has a leak through the on/off.

You should also take the regulator apart and clean and lube it. It is worse at getting old because the lube and dirt cannot blow through it like it can through the power tube. The reg seat probably is set up (with a groove to match the reg pin), so when you take the reg apart you may want a new one. If lube doesn't break down on its own in storage, any dust in the air will find it and settle into paste eventually.

Do you have a level 10 bolt?

tiroth
06-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the reply! This is a level 7 bolt.

If you hear anything while holding the trigger down, it has a leak through the on/off.

Ok, that is helpful. I replaced the o-rings in the on-off; anything else to check other than replacing the assembly? I have a goofy aftermarket on-off top but it used to work fine.

You should also take the regulator apart and clean and lube it.

I'll do that. I did replace the reg seat. Here is a potential issue: the spring on the reg pin seems to be stuck (doesn't come out with the pin). I was afraid to yank it out and stretch it...any thoughts?

questionful
06-05-2008, 12:36 PM
the reg pin spring doesn't matter much, feel free to yank it out if you want to clean it or something. Anyway, your problem sounds like the teflon O-rings in the on/off were bad. Use (white lithium) grease on the regulator piston and the regulator springs.

Spider-TW
06-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah, athomas doesn't like grease because it holds dirt. So if you figure more frequent light lube or more frequent cleaning degreasing and re-lubing, I'm not sure if there is a win there except oil is easier to clean off.

What ever you chose;

1) keep the reg walls clean
2) keep the reg piston oring lubed
3) keep the steel spring pack from rusting, especially after playing in the rain.

Like questionful says, there's not much need to pull the pin spring, so don't be hard on it. Try gently twisting it like you are tightening a screw (clockwise) as you pull it out or push it in. When you twist it in the same direction as it is wound, it helps reduce the tension at the walls and gets it loose. But never twist it the opposite direction; it can bind up and give you the opportunity to bend it. I usually just spray it out with alcohol.

When your on/off is out, check and clean the cavity for the on/off. Putting nice clean orings in the bottom with dirt, teflon tape or pieces of seals ruins the effort. :)

If your bolt leaks with the trigger released, search this forum for 'power tube spacer'. I was a power tube spring guy before level 10 bolts, but there's plenty of spacer guys lurking around here if you have that leak still.

vaultman
06-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Make sure you clean your regulator seat. if dirty is can really mess with your consistancy. Also Are you using HPA? Sometimes CO2 can be "Dirty" and gunk up your regulator seat.