PDA

View Full Version : A glimpse into the effect of AGD's marketing strategy

questionful
06-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Well, I was curious about what the average paintballer thought about AGD. So I thought I would go ask some. Due to lack of some average paintballers, I headed over to the SpecOps forums, where the members are certainly more average than AO'ers, and I think could be classified as more or less average woodsballers, though more informed since they do go on a paintball forum(s). Here are their opinions of AGD when asked what they thought about it.

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=152217

Hello I just wanted to know what the average SO'er thinks of AGD. So, without googling anything, going on any websites; just right of the top of your head, what do you think about AGD? How would you describe it in a sentence? If you don't know who/what AGD is please state so. I'm just trying to get an idea of how (un)successful their marketing is.
Thanks!

Please answer, even a one-word, misspelled answer made while drunk is acceptable!

AGD, is still chugging, but not as prominent as before.
Meh.
think they make quality products, just think the one i got just doesn't like me. Do think they are a tad over rated on this site, not as bad as tippy fan boys, but it's definitely up there.
ADG makes terrific high-quality products, especially markers. Unfortuately, the company is dying, and when they're gone they're gone. Although, I agree with Legato; some members here think 'Mags are the answer to all the world's problems.
Great quality products, and good performance. Either heavy or expensive, depending on your setup. And tiny.. I'd love to own another mag if it fit in my playstyle and budget.

Quality products. Hard to get a hold of some parts. Lots of different models my favorite being the pneumag. But that's more of a diy mod...
I don't even know who they are.
A great reliable product from a virtually invisible company.
They are a small company with some of the best mech guns.
Hard to find a place to buy and never see advertising but i've HEARD their good guns.

Remind kinda of PPS, except smaller. They make great products, but alot of players don't even know what a mag is.
Never used any of there products. Great reputation, and seemingly great products.
An honest company that developed its own valve system and invented the first successful mass produced semi-automatic marker.
I liked them enough, only bad things heard were from people who miss treated them.
Good stuff, seems to appeal to the "tech-geek" crowd, as many AGD designs seem easy to adapt/customize.

I cant wait to come into some money so i can customize my own ULE mag. I love agd, a great small company with a great fan base.
I think they're awesome and amazing guns
Awesome. The end.
A Good Design
"A Great Design" Sorry, fixed

Its all good, I thought about using Great, but its still A Good Design
I just look at the level of engineering in that marker compared to others.. that's what makes it A Great Design for me.. but, I'm an engineer, what can I say?
Choo choo, jugga jugga jugga...lol jk. On a Serious Note: AGD doesnt have to advertize their products and thats because their Customers are already doing that for Free.
Ha. You're right, but it couldn't hurt to place an add for a Tac-1 in the last few pages of APG.
over ratted, although i may have had a bad apple, when it worked it was great and i loved it, but that was WHEN it worked, it was just not worth all the work for me in the long run so i sold it
i know a few people who LOVE them to no end and will shoot nothing but and know just as many people who will never pick one up if it is the only gun available to shoot

AGD is the stuff. Seriously. But their marketing just blows.
How old is the Tac One, since thats AGD's latest Incarnation and if everyone thinks about it, what is the Time Span between all the Markers theyve released.
And not mention, creating a New Marker & Products and Advertizing them is never an easy task and not cheap as well.
Well, that's the beauty of the blow-foward design, it doesn't need to be updated every year. Except for their E-Mags and E-Tacs, of course.
We're not asking them to create a new marker, just let pb players know they exist! Although I vaguely remember a review of a Warped Tac-1 in Facefull or Jungle a year or so ago.
Mags are defiantly a marker that I can't afford but would like to have. I think part of the reason for the decline in AGD and WGP is that paintball has changed and newer players no longer want to take the time or money to properly maintain a marker. They just want a extremely fast and extremely small marker that they can dump some money into to make it look "AGG" without adding any real performance upgrades.
A Warped Left or Right Tac One is being advertized, its on their Homepage and I dont know how anyone could ever miss that pic when someone asks for the link to the AGD Site.

For the number of pb players who don't frequent our forum, the likelihood of anyone getting linked to AGD's sight or even stumbleing across it are pretty slim. Newbie tournament players don't know about 'Mags or 'Cockers and they probably won't unless they see an add in Pb2X or Facefull or they watch Web Dog Radio...
As for Rec players, there's a better chance if an older casual player brings his old Classic to the field. Regaurdless, it might be expensive but if AGD put themselves out there it might help introduce younger players the wonders of high-end mechs and remind the old dogs they're still around.
Well I don't like mags as much as I do PPS products, but they are really high quality ;)
Old school quality.
From looking at the mag I own, I would conclude that AGD's products are very well built. They are expensive due to precision machining and because they are made by a small company that has to pay salaries to American employees as opposed to the dirt cheap wages that some overseas workers receive. A one time expense of $500.00 is not unmanagable for most people with a steady income. Especially if the subscription to cable tv is ditched (I wish more people would get off the couch and play some paintball).
The lack of a yearly edition marker is a good thing. If a marker is designed well, it's design need not be altered until an improvement of significance is developed.
The older ones are no doubt heavy as my RT-Pro is heftier than my 98. I do not mind this as lightness is nowhere on my radar for desirable attributes in a paint marker. Playing pump all day long (something that I have done) is much more tiring than carrying a 6 pound gun anyway. Keep in mind that exercise is a good thing too.
Who besides AGD makes a high-performance, stainless steel, precision-built, mechanical paintball gun?
cool logo and the warp feed is pretty smart

From my point, they have the most amazing customer service every created on earth..
And thats from a first hand experiance. I'm not even mad that my marker is on back order. after that young guy mike explained everything to me, heck I think it would be better for me to wait two weeks I can focus on exams and school for my last 12 days of school ( oh yea! ) and make some money!
AGD is an amazing company that isn't getting what they deserve right now. Their design has been outstanding, but it they really want to exceed they need to come out with a new, different valve design that somehow improves on their x-valve, or somehow make the products cheaper, or market pneumags.
I went with an invert mini, which is almost the same thing as an emag, except it's a little bit smaller, faster, lighter, and overall better (don't flame me for my opinion) for much less than an emag.
That said I may pick a classic mag soon just a solid backup marker.
Great company but not very mainstream.
Seems like a great company. I think it would be pretty awesome to own an AGD gun because I have heard they are great. Maybe someday I'll buy one.
AGD, meh. It's seen better days.

Three "awesome"'s, a lot of people commenting on how unknown AGD was, some people claiming that they were relatively expensive. With all the discussion about what AGD should do in the future, I thought it might be good to clarify some of the points that need to be addressed. Discuss if you wish, I was going to write more but I've got to go.

DanMan
06-06-2008, 09:04 AM
as for expense just look at the cost of a e trigger mil sim x7.

snoopay700
06-06-2008, 09:32 AM
From looking at the mag I own, I would conclude that AGD's products are very well built. They are expensive due to precision machining and because they are made by a small company that has to pay salaries to American employees as opposed to the dirt cheap wages that some overseas workers receive. A one time expense of $500.00 is not unmanagable for most people with a steady income. Especially if the subscription to cable tv is ditched (I wish more people would get off the couch and play some paintball).
The lack of a yearly edition marker is a good thing. If a marker is designed well, it's design need not be altered until an improvement of significance is developed.
The older ones are no doubt heavy as my RT-Pro is heftier than my 98. I do not mind this as lightness is nowhere on my radar for desirable attributes in a paint marker. Playing pump all day long (something that I have done) is much more tiring than carrying a 6 pound gun anyway. Keep in mind that exercise is a good thing too.
Who besides AGD makes a high-performance, stainless steel, precision-built, mechanical paintball gun?
:clap: This is probably my favorite one, only the old RTs tend to weigh more around 4 pounds unless you have a lead drop forward or something. Or at least mine does, and mine seems pretty standard.

I'm also sur[rised only one person said they didn't know what it was, i mean the field i go to is THE field Tom went to back in the day, and he even tested his guns out there, yet a lot of people, even the older people, have never heard of a mag. However that also means that there are quite a few people that own them, like all of the refs there, i'm pretty sure they've all owned or shot a mag at one point.

kurtisqpublic
06-06-2008, 09:56 AM
:clap: This is probably my favorite one, only the old RTs tend to weigh more around 4 pounds unless you have a lead drop forward or something. Or at least mine does, and mine seems pretty standard.

I'm also sur[rised only one person said they didn't know what it was, i mean the field i go to is THE field Tom went to back in the day, and he even tested his guns out there, yet a lot of people, even the older people, have never heard of a mag. However that also means that there are quite a few people that own them, like all of the refs there, i'm pretty sure they've all owned or shot a mag at one point.

Hate to hijack but snoopay you play at sam's right? Do they have any walk on games this weekend and if so, when do things kick off?

Emert426
06-06-2008, 10:05 AM
I reffed at a field in Georgia, and was always in the shop at GAPB and when I would bring my old emag in people would have no idea what it was.

The smiths would set it up on a stand while we chilled and see how many kids asked if it was some kind of shocker :rolleyes:

Heh its the little things that get you through the day :cheers:

BlueDragonX
06-06-2008, 10:50 AM
The smiths would set it up on a stand while we chilled and see how many kids asked if it was some kind of shocker :rolleyes:

To which the proper response is "Get out."

snoopay700
06-06-2008, 02:17 PM
To which the proper response is "Get out."
No, you educate them and tell them to try to buy one instead of a shocker, so that AGD gets more people behind them.

sffudapparel
06-06-2008, 02:57 PM
thanks for posting this up!

I go to a field here in cincinnati, and I let my buddy buy my rt classic off me.

Random baller - Why type of gun is that
Steve - RT automag
Random Baller - Never heard of it
Steve - It's made by Airgun Designs, or AGD
Random Baller - Nope, never heard of it.

Was a shame as the guy was about 22 or so.

However, later in the day a guy came up to me and him and said it was great to see some real classics (talking about his rt more than my rt pro) still being used. He seemed pretty pumped to see one out there amist the ~100 people we had out there

I usually will get one kid a week as me "hey what kind of gun is that?" or "woah, I've never seen one of these before, can I shoot a couple"

They're usually hooked after they shoot it :D

Sumthinwicked
06-06-2008, 03:30 PM
in referance to my scoped longbow hey nice shotgun buddy

B-Pow
06-06-2008, 03:46 PM
What's a mag?

SCpoloRicker
06-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Comments from random folks on the field /= AGD's marketing strategy.

/just sayin

Emert426
06-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Comments from random folks on the field /= AGD's marketing strategy.

/just sayin

One could also argue that said comments are a direct result of AGD's lack of a more mainstream marketing couldn't they?

:ninja: ninja logic

devildog
06-06-2008, 10:37 PM
we should have a glimpse into not making any more of these threads. the horse has been beaten so many times its vaporized :wow:

Emert426
06-06-2008, 10:47 PM
we should have a glimpse into not making any more of these threads. the horse has been beaten so many times its vaporized :wow:

My parents spent my college, and general savings accounts on horses... I hate horses... :mad:

:shooting: :shooting: :shooting:

paintball72
06-07-2008, 12:19 AM
well if you do it right you can get a huge return on horses. ^^^^^^ my uncle did that ^^^^ and now he's a millionare. though he also owns a construction company, (might have something to do with it :ninja: ) but you should look into breeding it really makes a return.

questionful
06-07-2008, 01:33 AM
well, I'm just kinda angry. I think AGD has way more potential than it's living up to, and something could easily be done about it. Even just revamping their website. I remember back when I first got obsessed with paintball, I went on tippmann's site and downloaded the spec. pages for all three of the guns they were selling at the time, and I'd read and re-read the many exaggerated, engineered blurbs on 'em. And I can't help but think, what if I had received the same dose of propaganda, but for a gun that REALLY performed as great as the company said?!?! *Sigh* Sorry, I'm done.
http://www.steveaddison.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/flogging%20dead%20horse.jpg