PDA

View Full Version : I killed my grinder today

Maghog
06-11-2008, 01:10 PM
It was a pretty hairy and risky ordeal, but as always, I gave it all I had and my Foredom payed for it. I had a few warnings when the bur got caught and the motor stuttered, and the shaft kinked over. I thought that it was just a bit more, and it would be good, however, the bur snagged, dug a millimeter deeper than I wanted to and bent the bur shaft. If that was all, I'd be happy. But the inner cord ripped, the motor overheated, and the chuck got shot out of center.

If I could post pics, all you would see would be a flex shaft shredded to scrap and smoke coming out of the motor housing. It's spent, but I have to say that after almost 8 years and 10000 hours of labor, it was worth it, and it was fighting a valliant battle all the way to the end.

:cry:

R.I.P.

Foredom TX

Serial # E020004

I'll bury it in my cellar floor somewhere.

Time to get a new one.
Dan@Triggernomics

guseppe16
06-11-2008, 01:16 PM
A moment of silence for her.......

She helped create some fantastic items and will be missed.

Hilltop Customs
06-11-2008, 01:22 PM
i burnt up a bench grinder once.....I was making a sword, never finished grinding down the edge of it either. Also burnt up an angle grinder when working on installing airbags in my truck.

R.I.P. grinders everywhere

Warwitch
06-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Damn, I was almost killed by a bench grinder when it grabbed my long-sleeve cuff. Luckily the whole sleeve tore off instead of mangling my digits. :argh:

SummaryJudgement
06-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Pray tell, what exactly were you doing when you're grinder died?

:ninja:

PICS!
:cheers:

skife
06-11-2008, 04:52 PM
i burnt up a bench grinder once.....I was making a sword, never finished grinding down the edge of it either. Also burnt up an angle grinder when working on installing airbags in my truck.

R.I.P. grinders everywhere

angle grinders are easy to kill, well cheap ones anyways.

My buddie's dad is an iron worker and they used to go through them like toilet paper.
they use metabo grinders now http://www.toolmarts.com/metabo_we9-125.html

well worth the money.

MANN
06-11-2008, 05:12 PM
please tell me the ion didnt get the best of you. :eek:

FiXeL
06-11-2008, 05:32 PM
angle grinders are easy to kill, well cheap ones anyways.

My buddie's dad is an iron worker and they used to go through them like toilet paper.
they use metabo grinders now http://www.toolmarts.com/metabo_we9-125.html

well worth the money.

Metabo makes good quality power tools. I have a 750 watt hand drill from them and it still hasnt died on me yet after 10+ years of service. Also Makita was/is still good stuff, but i've never had one because those are expensive over here. We use Hitachi accu powered drills and wrenches at work, also good aslong the battery is ok.

warbeak2099
06-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Pray tell, what exactly were you doing when you're grinder died?

:ninja:

PICS!
:cheers:

Exactly.

Hilltop Customs
06-11-2008, 09:11 PM
I think the angle grinder was a dewalt......then again ive had terrible luck with dewalt tools, gone through 2 drills, an angle grinder, and something else I cant think of now.

Papa_Smurf
06-11-2008, 09:15 PM
I think the angle grinder was a dewalt......then again ive had terrible luck with dewalt tools, gone through 2 drills, an angle grinder, and something else I cant think of now.

That's strange, they say DeWalt is the best motor around.
Robot builders and such buy DeWalt.

Maghog
06-11-2008, 10:45 PM
If it would have been the Ion that killed it, then I'd have kept it to myself. I don't think I could handle the shame in that case. It was on my new mag grip frame, which is going to be a real nice piece when it's done.
I was trying to carve out a slot in the bottom of the grip, where the grinder was fixed and the I was moving the aluminum around. This is basically the opposite of the way it should be done, and it's not without its dangers. When the bur catches, or some how I shift the aluminum wrong, the shaft kinks and the motor suffers. It probably would have been smart to try and do it differently in this case because it's such a massive, ungainly chunk of metal. However, being the stubborn person that I am, I tried to force it to work.
It didn't.
I didn't take any pictures, sorry.
I just needed to share my grief.
Thanks,
Dan