PDA

View Full Version : What spare parts do you take to the field for your mags?

MANN
06-21-2008, 06:49 PM
I have always had the problem of taking "too much" to the field in my parts box. I am going to try to have two separate parts boxes. One with just the stuff I need to take to the field, and one for "stock"

For example. There is no need for me to take 12 field strip screws or 12 am/mm on/offs when I only use my xmag. What is necessary for the field?

mostpeople
06-21-2008, 07:01 PM
I usually find a replacement for every minor part is what I take when using my X-mag, and then I usually bring along a spare gun altogether. Lets face it, im not going to be swapping boards and noids at the field.

So a x-valve rebuild kit obviously, as well as 1 of every lvl 10 carrier. at least 1 if not a couple of every other O-ring that might be on your particular setup. miscellaneous screws that could fall out, spare AGD re-tents are also important I find. I dont bother with foamies at the field, if it pops out it pops out and its no biggie.

As far as spare parts go, thats about it..

pmstc
06-21-2008, 07:05 PM
I took a few lx shims, and a bottle of oil... and 100 tank orings.
Edit: and a set of allen keys, and some teflon tape. That's it.

tech-chan
06-21-2008, 09:02 PM
I take a full toolbag, a 2 bags full of gear, a smaller bag that has all of my spare parts in it, and spare guns to spare.

I also have 2 full toolboxes, several car jacks and one unbeilievable booster.

All of this in one small coupe.

I always end up fixing peoples guns and loaning one of mine to them while I'm working on thiers. Gees, I fix more than I play at the field.

MANN
06-21-2008, 09:25 PM
I always end up fixing peoples guns and loaning one of mine to them while I'm working on thiers. Gees, I fix more than I play at the field.

I find myself doing the same thing. That is why I am downsizing. I dont want to take gear for everyone who breaks theirs.

My goal is my xmag, my wifes mini, and one spare marker (right now a micro E). I am just tring to decide on the small stuff.

tech-chan
06-21-2008, 09:36 PM
I keep an emergency bag in the car for when my friends call and they are already at the field and raring to play. I just pick up my tank, hopper and gun.

Its got this in it: small toolbag of parts, tools and oil, a mask, a groin cup, a baseball cap and a sandana, a tshirt and a pair of camo jeans, and some cheap soccer cleats.

Thats what you need.

Jaan
06-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Spare gun.

After years of lugging around a virtual machine shop it's just easier to carry a spare gun, and if your main gun goes down just deal with it later at home.

TnDeathInc
06-21-2008, 09:47 PM
2 back up vavles, one with an emag length pin and one with an rt length, both black, both tuned and ready to drop in.

mostpeople
06-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Damn I wish I could find a woman that enjoyed paintball...

:(

NU_METAL
06-21-2008, 10:57 PM
this is actually a very good question;
being a mechanic i feel that im always forgetting something so,....
i made up a small fishing tackle box w/ basic stuff in it
on/off pins- "oh yes they have snapped in half before "
o-rings,1 of each spring for level 10
bumpers,black ,blue ,rt clear
gold cup oil
1 or 2 field strip screws
hardware for bottles -quick disconnect couplers , fill nipples
these love to leak as soon as you fill them @ the field :cuss:
burst disks
1 rt sear ect,..
i would just keep it light & have a back up or 2

oh and Murphy's law is hard to predict for :rolleyes:

Sajjad
06-22-2008, 05:18 AM
I find it’s better to have and not need than to need and not have.
The minute you take something out of your kit bag thinking I’ll never need this.
Murphy's law kicks in.

FiXeL
06-22-2008, 05:59 AM
I find it’s better to have and not need than to need and not have.
The minute you take something out of your kit bag thinking I’ll never need this.
Murphy's law kicks in.

True, but i can't remember the last time i had to replace something on my mags at the field. I do bring a full kit, just in case but the only things i am using is autolube, allen keys and sometimes a bottle o-ring.

punkncat
06-22-2008, 09:11 AM
The only mag specific thing that I take to the field anymore are bumpers. Since the X valve bumper tends to tear up easily. I found found that unless you are dealing with a newly installed LX, I just don't need anything else.

MANN
06-22-2008, 01:18 PM
2 back up vavles, one with an emag length pin and one with an rt length, both black, both tuned and ready to drop in.

thats not a bad idea. It would be easier than fumbling with orings/spacers.

Rudz
06-22-2008, 02:03 PM
I bring atleast 2 guns, spare tanks, and a tackle box full of tool, misc o rings, springs, bumpers, screws, spacers and a lot of other small parts, oil, teflon tape, electrical tape, epoxy, one thing I need more of is tank o rings, I'm always running out, pretty much all my pods, tanks, guns, paint and tools fit in a mega body bag gearbag, think has to wiegh a ton

MANN
06-22-2008, 02:19 PM
think has to wiegh a ton

thats what I am tring to prevent. I would like all of my gear to fit in the trunk of my wifes camery. we have our own speedball and woodsball fields so I am already bringing 4-5 scubas 1-2 20lb co2 tanks, chrono, etc. I would like my gear to be minimum.

Zone Drifter
06-22-2008, 03:10 PM
I just take an extra gun and tank, along with a gravity hopper. I'm no rope shooter, so a grav hopper is fine for me as a backup. Actually... I've been wanting to have a pistol as a backup in case something is wrong with my main marker.

seekandestroy78
06-22-2008, 03:12 PM
usually its like this

locktite
teflon tape
allen keys
electrical tape
some batteried for my hopper

paint magnet
06-22-2008, 04:34 PM
I carry a Plano tackle box full of miscellaneous parts. Mostly macroline, fittings, gauges, loctite, allen wrenches, etc. The botttom of it is full of parts from guns I no longer own (I think there's a 'cocker spring kit, an Angel LED bolt, and a stock lpr from a 99' cocker).

I have learned the hard way though that it is much better to have a backup gun than to try and hastily fix something at the field. I have had way too many expensive gun parts that got dropped in the dirt, lost, or had tool marks as a result of me trying to hurry up and get ready for the next game. If I make changes to my primary marker (like new internal parts) I always make sure to leave my backup alone, just to make sure one works so I don't waste any playing time.

I do carry a full parts kit for my .68 AutoMag, but that's only because it takes up so little space. I've never actually had to replace anything on it other than the bolt and sear, which were damaged when I received it in a trade.

As for spares, I take:

Backup/Loaner gun
Spare hopper and batteries
Oil

I quit trying to fix other people's guns a long time ago. I don't mind helping a friend out but lately there are too many people who just mooch off others for free parts. I didn't pay a field fee to sit out in the heat and fix someone else's gun.

GoatBoy
06-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Once you've decided on a gun (which might pose a problem for some of you), your backup should be roughly the same type of marker as your primary gun.

For instance, it would make no sense to have an automag as a primary gun, and an autococker as a backup, seeing as the two practically share no common parts.

My primary is a ULE mag with X-valve and HPA; my secondary is a classic valve mag with CO2.

Most likely, what will happen is the place I go to won't have HPA. So I pull the x-valve out of my primary and swap in the classic valve.

Storminnorman
06-22-2008, 08:57 PM
I just bring my camera, because if my mag breaks down there is something wrong in the universe and its telling me not to play paintball. Maybe thats why I don't have that many pictures. :clap: :headbang: :shooting: :shooting: :rofl: .

warpfeedmod
06-23-2008, 02:00 PM
I've got 3 of these

http://s3.supload.com/free/Tacklebox-21011035.jpg/view/

I keep allen keys, a small screwdriver with interchangeable tips, lube, o-rings and some misc tape and whatnot.

For the mag it's mainly o-rings, I'm not replacing springs or bolts or what have you on the field.

For the cocker it's springs, orings, some hose for the pneumatics, etc.

If anything else goes wrong with both markers in the same day, I'm done for the day.

I put those boxes and my markers in a duffel bag and keep my tanks outside the bag and thats all I have.

Most fields I play at, the staging area is the parking lot, meaning you setup out of the back of your car/van/whatever.

On the occasion I do have to walk to a staging area I don't have more than a bag, maybe a case or two of paint and my tanks to carry.