PDA

View Full Version : Any Toro guys here?

AGDlover
06-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Hey guys just picked up an old 60's erra Wheel Horse 856 yesterday rode it around for a while. However for whatever reason after I put my new exaust on it I won't crank. Now note, this is a NO CRANK condition. Battery voltage checks out however I dont really have any scematics to follow or to go off of. Any help is apreaciated. Thanks :cheers:

lidocaine
06-24-2008, 10:47 AM
You cant turn the engine over at all? Or is it just hard to pull over?

skife
06-24-2008, 07:48 PM
check the wires on the back of the starter.

also check the wires on the starter button.

AGDlover
06-24-2008, 10:37 PM
The engine turns freely so its not locked up, I replaced my old ground terminal since it was about ready to twist off. I ran my V-meter from the battery all the way to the starter w/ and without the key on. Most all came up 6-12volts. I just dont get it... I ran it aorund the yard... came up to the shop... killed it and let it cool down while I found some exaust tubeing to make a stack, after 20min of messin around I went to go back and fire it up and nothing. I want to hopefuly turn up some info on what all the voltages should be. The only thing I'm hearing when I turn the key is a veary veary faint click. I'm haveing my Small engine teacher from school come over tomarrow when I get back so If you got an idea lmk i'm dumbfounded. :confused:

Oh and I confirmed the year to a 1966

billybob_81067
06-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Well since you're hearing a faint click when you turn the key to start that's telling me that the solenoid is trying to work, so your ignition wiring is probably O.K.

The contact plates in the solenoid might be all pitted up from arcing across them for many years...

Try jumping across the big posts of the solenoid (be sure it's in neutral so you don't run over yourself) with some pliers or something... if it cranks then it's the solenoid that needs replaced but if it doesn't then it's starter related.

If you rule out the solenoid as being fine then try tapping the starter with a hammer... sometimes the brushes will get stuck and cause a starter to not crank.

You could get all fancy with a volt meter and test light... but a redneck only needs a pair of pliers and a hammer to fix things don't cha know! :D