PDA

View Full Version : Who is actually making all the paint nowdays

punkncat
06-26-2008, 10:59 AM
I used to know a good deal about what brands were actually produced by what companies. Now with all the buy outs, buy ins, and takeovers, I am really not sure anymore.

Our team got in kind of a heated discussion with our "sponsor" over the brand of paint he has been trying to push on us. We went another way this last event, which left him pretty butt hurt, and then he comes off and tells us that even though no one is supposed to know this, the brand of paint you used is made by the same people as the paint I was going to supply you with.
I can say that IF that is the case its really off the wall that what we had used from him and what we got elsewhere sure did perform MUCH different. Given that weather and storage conditions can effect any paint.

Anywho, back on track. Who is making what brands of paint nowdays? Not just the brand name on the box...who is actually making it?

sandfreestyle
06-26-2008, 11:10 AM
I think the biggest makers of paint are:

Draxxus
PMI
Evil
and Zap

But i could be wrong. I know that most of those companies own more than one brand.

flyingpootang
06-26-2008, 11:16 AM
SMARTPARTS :ninja: .....Just kidding of course. I just thought it would be funny. :D

sandfreestyle
06-26-2008, 11:19 AM
SMARTPARTS :ninja: .....Just kidding of course. I just thought it would be funny. :D
They may not make paintballs but I wouldn't be surprised that they somehow own a patent on it.

rkjunior303
06-26-2008, 12:11 PM
I think the biggest makers of paint are:

Draxxus
PMI
Evil
and Zap

But i could be wrong. I know that most of those companies own more than one brand.

PMI and Evil are the same, all under the RP name. Draxxus, Zap, and Chronic are all Procaps I believe.

sandfreestyle
06-26-2008, 12:18 PM
PMI and Evil are the same, all under the RP name. Draxxus, Zap, and Chronic are all Procaps I believe.
chronic is made by Zap but I didnt think Zap was made by Procaps. I know Draxxus and Dioblo are.

rkjunior303
06-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Procaps bought Zap, IIRC.

Jeffy-CanCon
06-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Procaps bought Zap, IIRC.

You are correct. Zap products will now be made at the Procaps facility in Montreal.

athomas
06-26-2008, 01:26 PM
We call it pro-zaps around here now. LOL.

Ninjeff
06-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Procap and Rp

questionful
06-26-2008, 02:47 PM
What about nelson?

bryceeden
06-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Big ones are Procaps, RP, K2, and a company in Asia(I want to say Tiwan). XO, Nelson, and afew others I think still make thier own.

Procaps is all of the DXS, ZAP, and Origin(although Origin is being fased out).

RP is all of the Evil, Marbaliser, PMI, ETC

K2 is all of the Brass Eagle, VL, Stryker, and such

The Tiwan company is Spyder, Bo****o, Black Lotis, and so forth.

90% of the time if youre using field paint or getting it from a proshop its going to be Procaps or RPS.

AT&T
06-26-2008, 03:45 PM
I would like to know about Nelson also. I heard a rumor at the local field last week that nelson paint was banned in most of the country because it would eat the coating off of lenses.

txrabbit
06-26-2008, 03:54 PM
nelson had changed their fill base a couple of years ago, and had nothing but problems. they're going back to their original fill base, which should be good.

Don't forget that Severe is still around

Great American Paintball

and my favorite Canadians at XO

WickedKlown2
06-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Diablo is distributed by Kee (copyright 2005 diablo paintball | distributed exclusively by kee action sports)...

Hope this helps out...

Chronobreak
06-26-2008, 10:24 PM
problem these days is nearly everyone is using a staining fill, or some sort of starch or binding agent.

these are great for tourneys but horrible for field owners and terrible on rental gear.

theyve all been raising prices steadily leaving little room for field profit.

alot of manufacturers be claiming to be switching to Peg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_glycolv )
however that is yet to be seen.

a little OT but i felt it needed to be said.

WickedKlown2
06-26-2008, 10:43 PM
problem these days is nearly everyone is using a staining fill, or some sort of starch or binding agent.

these are great for tourneys but horrible for field owners and terrible on rental gear.

theyve all been raising prices steadily leaving little room for field profit.

alot of manufacturers be claiming to be switching to Peg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_glycolv )
however that is yet to be seen.

a little OT but i felt it needed to be said.

I tried your link and it led to a wrong spelling ... I found this link works : Polyethylene Glycol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_glycol)

MoeMag
06-27-2008, 02:27 AM
What about hellfire? only what I assume was Xball gold/silver/bronze is on DXS's website.

bryceeden
06-27-2008, 07:20 AM
Most paint manufacturers are using PEG, have been for some time.

Chronobreak
06-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Most paint manufacturers are using PEG, have been for some time.

bryce, you know i respect ya, but we have been doing on spot field test and the results have been pretty scary.

while most is a peg fill , nearly everything from the wal mart type stores is oil, stains or contains a heavy binding agent that is just as troublesome.

its gotten to the point we almost have to go FPO, while alot of fields may not mind a little stain here and there we pride ourselves on having the best ran cleanest facility in the area.

Spider-TW
06-27-2008, 08:02 AM
The Tiwan company is Spyder, Bo****o, Black Lotis, and so forth.
Was that a comment or just the filter? :confused:

Chronobreak
06-27-2008, 08:08 AM
i think the filter caught bosheeto (i hope that isnt considered a bypass)

BenoitOWN
06-27-2008, 11:43 AM
I went to procaps in montreal once, let just say that seeing a guy there is rare and the person was never there look like. I wanted to do a stage there but didnt tryed after what happened after I tryed to get back in car *blush*.

bryceeden
06-27-2008, 12:43 PM
bryce, you know i respect ya, but we have been doing on spot field test and the results have been pretty scary.

while most is a peg fill , nearly everything from the wal mart type stores is oil, stains or contains a heavy binding agent that is just as troublesome.

its gotten to the point we almost have to go FPO, while alot of fields may not mind a little stain here and there we pride ourselves on having the best ran cleanest facility in the area.

K2 isn't nearly everyone or alot of manufacturers they are just K2. I've had a chemical analysis company(Western Analysis) run tests on paints to show people what they are made of when I try to get new venues for tourneys, and most everyone uses PEG. K2 are the only oil based paints I've ever seen and about the only staining fills left(thier shells also break down Supair bunkers and cause holes). Procaps and RPS(who together account for atleast 75% of paint used) have both been using PEG for a very long time and have done a very good job getting away from staining fills years ago.

Also just curious if you're running a field why aren't you already FPO? It does more for you than just increase profites.

i think the filter caught bosheeto (i hope that isnt considered a bypass)

That is what happened, I don't imagine that would be considered a bypass.

punkncat
06-27-2008, 01:45 PM
I went to procaps in montreal once, let just say that seeing a guy there is rare and the person was never there look like. I wanted to do a stage there but didnt tryed after what happened after I tryed to get back in car *blush*.

Sorry, but what?

BenoitOWN
06-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Sorry, but what?

Procaps is not far from me and I needed to find a stage when I was still in school this years in sale-counsil / commercial representative class. So I find the person name and I could not get him by phone. So I drive there and tryed to talk to the person but the receptionist said to me that he was never at the office more than like once a month and I needed to get to his blackberry but that she cannot give me his number and that I needed to e-mail him instead.

Anyway I never got a reply back from that guy.

The other part of the story is that when I got out of the building and get to my car my friggin KEYS was inside -.- took about 10min to find a guy that was able to do the thing, another 20min for the said guy to make a tools to unlock the door and was made by the Concierge(.

questionful
06-27-2008, 02:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QfKTOwqGEs

BTW does anyone know if there's Xanthan Gum in paintballs?

And what is PEG, is it just like a thick clear liquid, or is it a powder you put in water, or what?

thahouse
06-27-2008, 03:02 PM
PEG is a chemical substance thats used to thin out agents, as well as hold mixtures in suspension rather than it falling out of suspension. Its also an active ingredient in antifreeze.

Looper
06-27-2008, 06:36 PM
BTW does anyone know if there's Xanthan Gum in paintballs?Not sure about paintballs but Xanthan Gum works good for home made paint grenades, and available at most health food stores.

devildog
06-27-2008, 07:07 PM
how come they dont make slam ball and el tigre anymore? best paint ever back in the day

thegrayghost
06-27-2008, 10:28 PM
PEG is a chemical substance thats used to thin out agents, as well as hold mixtures in suspension rather than it falling out of suspension. Its also an active ingredient in antifreeze.

just curious, i practice in the backyard and hit off the tree.......i have a boxer dog, can she get really sick if she decided to eat the paintballs & junk lying on the ground........antifreeze ingrediant not good, and can kill a dog....

thegrayghost

drg
06-27-2008, 10:33 PM
K2 isn't nearly everyone or alot of manufacturers they are just K2. I've had a chemical analysis company(Western Analysis) run tests on paints to show people what they are made of when I try to get new venues for tourneys, and most everyone uses PEG. K2 are the only oil based paints I've ever seen and about the only staining fills left(thier shells also break down Supair bunkers and cause holes). Procaps and RPS(who together account for atleast 75% of paint used) have both been using PEG for a very long time and have done a very good job getting away from staining fills years ago.

you should stop by this thread and relate your findings ...

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/paintball-news/41301-paintball-test-youtube-me.html

drg
06-27-2008, 10:41 PM
just curious, i practice in the backyard and hit off the tree.......i have a boxer dog, can she get really sick if she decided to eat the paintballs & junk lying on the ground........antifreeze ingrediant not good, and can kill a dog....

thegrayghost

Polyethylene glycol != ethylene glycol ... PEG is actually quite low toxicity and has medical uses in dogs.

Chronobreak
06-28-2008, 09:34 PM
bryce we have considered doing FPO for some time now but after much deliberation adn talking to csutoemrs we have those understandable that like their own paint for whatever reason logical or not. so as long as its a peg fill well allow it. We also are not allowing thich or starchy fills as they are just as tough and bad for rental eqquipment and our facilities

Nelson is NOT using PEG fills, so thats not just kee..so please do a chem analaysis or point me in the direction.

also nearly all the wal mart brand we have had to dissalow due to also being oil based or starchy fills.(presumably all BE paints ecept the new field paints such as abyss)

-thanks for the MCB link.

bryceeden
06-29-2008, 07:50 AM
bryce we have considered doing FPO for some time now but after much deliberation adn talking to csutoemrs we have those understandable that like their own paint for whatever reason logical or not. so as long as its a peg fill well allow it. We also are not allowing thich or starchy fills as they are just as tough and bad for rental eqquipment and our facilities

Nelson is NOT using PEG fills, so thats not just kee..so please do a chem analaysis or point me in the direction.

also nearly all the wal mart brand we have had to dissalow due to also being oil based or starchy fills.(presumably all BE paints ecept the new field paints such as abyss)

-thanks for the MCB link.

Kee is PEG based. K2 is not(K2 makes all the walmart paint). Nelson I've never tested or messed with. The Chemical Analaysis' isn't cheap so its only been done with paints we use as everything we do is FPO. KEE and Procaps are PEG based for sure. K2 is mostly not. XO I have no idea, and apparently Nelson is not. Most of the little companys I've messed with seem to be, but I've not run analyisis on them. The thing is that 75% of paint is made by Procaps and KEE.

bryceeden
06-29-2008, 09:54 PM
you should stop by this thread and relate your findings ...

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/paintball-news/41301-paintball-test-youtube-me.html

I stopped by the video, not bad but I wish he would have said which paints he tested there. The first on that his come out with alot of oil in it looks like Origin Signature series which I know for 100% sure is not oil based and had some of so I tested it myself and it desolved with no oil on the surface after the 5 min passed, alot of stuff on the bottom in some of the colors but no oil on top. I went a head and tested DXS gold as well and got the same result, but alittle less stuff in the bottom. I'll use his method to check some other paints I know are PEG based but for right now it looks like his test works well. I really doubt his 45 name brand paints he's found to be oil based claim though, I'd need a list befor I bought that line.