PDA

View Full Version : A rifle question

shorty24
06-28-2008, 05:50 PM
I have a quick question here for you gun guys:

I recently acquired a M91/30 variant Mosin-Nagant. Upon closer inspection of the rifle, I noticed that the rifling in the barrel stops ~2 inches from the tip of the barrel, and that last 2 inches is just a little wider, and smooth. Almost like the rifling was milled out or something. ...wtf?

Target Practice
06-28-2008, 08:15 PM
I have a quick question here for you gun guys:

I recently acquired a M91/30 variant Mosin-Nagant. Upon closer inspection of the rifle, I noticed that the rifling in the barrel stops ~2 inches from the tip of the barrel, and that last 2 inches is just a little wider, and smooth. Almost like the rifling was milled out or something. ...wtf?

Don't buy crap rifles.

questionful
06-28-2008, 09:07 PM
pwnt?

jk. Why is that bad? 2" isn't going to make much of a difference is it?

LegumeOfTerror
06-28-2008, 10:50 PM
alot of them have worn barrels. you should have inspected it before buying. you coul get a shorter stock, then have the barrel cut and re-crowned, but that would cost more than a new one.

LoonWulf
06-29-2008, 12:06 AM
you can always hacksaw the barrel and file it as flat as you can get it if you dont care too much about accuracy. Honestly tho id probobly have a gun smith inspect it, as i would any used firearm just to be safe. While your there ask about having it shortened and re-crowned, the guy here will do it for about 30 bucks. If the barrels shot out, then well your kinda screwed lol. It could still be a fun plinker at 50yrds or so depending. Ive had some trash bored guns shoot decently including 2 mosins that i didnt think would do minute of earth at 100yrds.

shorty24
06-29-2008, 06:57 PM
ok, some clarification:

I have better rifles, I bought this one purely for fun. The rifling is not worn, nor is the barrel shot out...in fact, the receiver and bore of the rifle seem to be in excellent condition. The fact that the rifling seems to end a couple of inches before the end of the barrel does not seem to be affecting accuracy, and in fact looks like the barrel was supposed to be made that way. However, I was wondering if anyone had seen something like this before and knew what it was/what purpose it served.

If nothing else, I'm just going to cut it down and recrown it on my own, no big deal...

Army
06-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Known as backbore. Target shooters have done this since day one. In your case, it more likely was a way to clear out rust. I've no doubt the rifle at some point, was stored muzzle down in a barrel or box, with moisture and oils collecting at the muzzle and destroying it.

If it shoots fine, leave it alone.