PDA

View Full Version : Spud gun thread

bornl33t
06-30-2008, 12:21 AM
I know probably about everyone here's made or shot one. I was told not to come to 4th of July without one. I didn't feel challenged enough making the first one. So I'm looking for some thing a little difficult and eye popping. Anyone got any ideas that they've seen? Maybe with some pics?

Here's the deal. I'm some what of a purist. It has to be cheap, shoot potatoes and run on a can of something. Any ideas?

I will say I have an idea, but it may not work so I'll wait until I either miserably fail or succeed to disclose it, in the mean time...this thread....

snoopay700
06-30-2008, 01:40 AM
This guy i knew had a cap on one end that screwed in, maybe had a gasket, and you unscrewed it, sprayed in something, i forget what he had, maybe bug spray, the closed it and pressed a button which was a grill lighter and thus it shot a potato.

Oh yeah, it was all pvc pipe too, seemed pretty simple and cheap.

MoeMag
06-30-2008, 01:59 AM
Clear PVC barrels are :wow: especially at night!

DO NOT USE DWV pipe!

Remington Gun oil spray is ridiculously explosive. but so is propane.

A length of chain attached to the inside the chamber that you can shake around helps make a better air/fuel mixture. (Kind of the same as the little marble in paint rattle cans)

Grill igniters are great! But so are stun gun circuits! Check out simple camera stun gun mods and such. Then you can attach that to two bolts giving you an adjustable gap right in the middle of the chamber.

If you have a sealed (no touch hole) design, mix the fuel/air with the potato barely down the barrel... then push it all the way down and get some compression going. Light it quick tho!

Wrap the chamber with duct tape... IDK some reason it just makes me feel better. redneck thing

:cheers:

egyeager
06-30-2008, 02:53 AM
The coolest design I have seen is using a long piece of copper plate (seperated into 2 pieces in a zig zag design) with a stun gun hooked up to it. Inset on side of combustion chamber and then you have a spud gun that usually fires cleaner and meaner. Besides that interchangeable barrels is always fun as well. Oh and if you include a fan (like a computer fan) inside the combustion chamber you can stir the mixture so as to get a more complete burn and shot. Heh A few years ago I got REALLY into these things before my city banned them so I have a plethera of knowledge about them. Awhile back I did some expiraments with using flour and it had some interesting results. However I was not able to get the mixture right before the ban took effect so there is still some exploration to be done (about a 5% mixture did give some interesting results). Oh and Smoke bombs look really awesome when fired out of a cannon! Have fun! :)