PDA

View Full Version : Question about thread grease

putricio007
07-04-2008, 05:26 PM
So I bought my minimag here on AO, and it works like a champ. Got some pretty good upgrades for it too: an intelliframe, bike grip, drop forward, a couple of parts kits, etc. Watched the old Tom Kaye vids on you tube. He says to use a "non binding" grease on the threads on the velocity adjusting nut. I bought some sleek lube today (dow 33). Will this work? I'm not sure what "non binding" grease means. Thanks.

frans42000
07-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Dow 33 should work ok. It is silicon based so it wont eat your o-rings.

Since both the valve and velocity nut are stainless steel, the threads of both are under a great deal of stress when you adjust your velocity. Thats why you need a grease of some sort on it. "Non binding" is a little wierd to say, since its my experience that all grease is by design non-binding. There exsists a type of grease thats called "anti-sieze". It is a metal infused grease that is intented to keep two metal parts from rusting together. It would make a poor high pressure lubricant imho.

putricio007
07-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Any other recommendations for grease for this particular application?

egb groupie
07-05-2008, 07:16 PM
lithium grease works well

putricio007
07-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Any particular brand that I should look for? Don't mean to be a pain about this, I just dont want to mess up a good thing. (i.e. a good shooting mag).

questionful
07-05-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't think it matters. I use white lithium grease. Just don't put it anywhere but the velocity nut threads and the spring pack. If the grease you're using can be used as a lubricant and will not harm urethane, you can use it on your reg piston. I don't know much about different lubes, but I hear dow33 a lot so I'm pretty sure that's fine to use as a lube. I don't know how well it prevents rust. I just use white lithium grease because centerflag recommended it.

putricio007
07-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Being my typical OCD self, I just went to the auto parts store and bought some grease that was labeled as "white lithium grease". So now I have both. I'm gonna sleep well tonight. Thanks for everyone's help.