PDA

View Full Version : weight difference between Ule and SS

michbich
07-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Lately, I find myself window shopping online every night for a ule body with clamper and barrel kit. I really can't justify buying that since i only play every two weeks during the summer. For the rest of the year, it stays on display due to school.

I'm trying to discourage myself from spending more money i don't have. So i'm curious to know what is the weight difference between a ule and a standard body.

jade_monkey07
07-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Ule's are so light that it can even make "larger" players move like a :ninja:

not helping am i?

warpedmephisto
07-08-2008, 10:10 PM
I sport a RF converted centerfeed (I milled it to accept a Spyder feedneck) SS body and its really not that heavy. I also use a stock SS valve assembly, a CF grip frame and a milled, really light rail. I do prefer heavier markers vs. super light ones though.

Just my $0.02.

:dance:

paint magnet
07-08-2008, 10:18 PM
If you're on a limited budget and looking for weight savings, the weight savings between the SS and ULE body is not as dramatic as the valve.

I believe it's a 50% reduction in weight, but the SS body only weighs 7 ounces to start with. That's with the stock feedneck though, I don't know how much a clamper would add. That's from AGD, I don't know if they're comparing it to an AM or MM body though (MM I would assume is significantly heavier).

mr doo doo
07-08-2008, 10:35 PM
i dont think they weigh 7 oz. if i remember correctly, i had to ship a powerfed SS body priority since it was over 13 oz. hopefully someone can come and give us the exact weights.

but paint magnet is right about the budget part: investing in a lighter valve is better for weight than the body. for the price difference, i think the ability to have autococker threaded barrels and an angel threaded feedneck are better selling points than the weight. after all, mags tend to be more back heavy than front heavy.

chairman_mao
07-09-2008, 06:35 AM
The weight difference is negligable between the bodies IMO. A few years ago I switched to a ULE/cocker threaded system and I hated it. Between blown detents and barrel breaks from misalignment I got fed up and went back to SS/twist lock and haven't looked back.

sffudapparel
07-09-2008, 09:43 AM
It is part of our ULE product line which stands for Ultra Light Engineering. The classic stainless body weighs 7.5 oz. and this one with a mid rise weighs less than 4 oz. This is intended to give you minimum weight ONLY not a bunch of cut and carve options. "No looks just cooks!" It will fit on all guns except RT.

Here's the link
http://www.automags.org/resource/tech/prototype/ule_bod_proto3.shtml

Spider-TW
07-09-2008, 10:08 AM
You have to add the weight of a barrel adapter if want threaded barrels on a SS body too.

SS body + doc's SS adapter = chunk o' steel. Aluminum adapters and kits (Noxx and Python) are a little lighter, but add some more length.

I have very little trouble between force feeders, the power feed, and the twistlock detent. However, my ULE body with a short feed neck still double feeds on occasion with either the original or a Kila detent.

On the power feed, I like being able to see the breach is clean and I can turn the paint flow off. The ULE makes a tighter, lighter package, so I end up playing with both. :confused: