PDA

View Full Version : Where did all the pretty guns go?

paint magnet
07-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Sorry for the gay title, I couldn't really think of a better one at the moment.

But seriously, what happened? A few years ago, guns were coming out that looked like works of art. Think of the CNC Angels, Dye Reflex Autocockers, Free Flow cockers, Sonic Cyborg, Fishbone 'cockers, and countless others. These guns had flowing lines, high-gloss single color and splash anodizing, and nickel plated parts.

Now, it seems like everything that comes out is, well, just plain ugly. Technology has rendered them lighter, faster, and more efficient but still...ugly. Guns like the Ion, WGP's SR "cocker," the DP Fusion, the DM8 all look boxy and anorexic, like an anime version of their earlier counterparts. Slap a boxy frame with an oversized trigger guard and a half-assed matte fade ano on there and you have the latest marker.

Is it the latest trend that killed guns like these, the milling expense, or what?

senghing27
07-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Time = money....

If someone can just churn out copies left and right and all the end user has to do to make it different is switch plastic bodies... Well... It means more money in their pockets.

mr doo doo
07-08-2008, 10:42 PM
the players...

wetwrks
07-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Why spend the money to make a work of art when you are designing a disposable product?

sandfreestyle
07-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Why spend the money to make a work of art when you are designing a disposable product?
Cause you have pride in the sport and what you do for a living.

teufelhunden
07-08-2008, 11:02 PM

What you do for a living is... earn a living... not assuage people on the internet who are upset that the guns aren't "works of art"

Whatever brings in the $$.

wetwrks
07-09-2008, 12:10 AM

Yah, most of the companies don't currently have pride in the sport. They are all just looking for the $. If they had pride they wouldn't be putting out the disposable junk that mainly dominates the market.

BenoitOWN
07-09-2008, 01:04 AM
I will have some pretty marker soon :clap:
I am just putting way too much $$ in those too.

sandfreestyle
07-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Yah, most of the companies don't currently have pride in the sport. They are all just looking for the $. If they had pride they wouldn't be putting out the disposable junk that mainly dominates the market.
I don't see how any marker can cost more than $400 to make (not including the Rand D). It's beyond me how prices can get so high.

Oh, and in response to your location response:

sickness pacem parabellum

trevorjk
07-09-2008, 01:52 AM
I don't see how any marker can cost more than $400 to make (not including the Rand D). It's beyond me how prices can get so high.

actually the main cost in paintball now adays is actually the mill time. the more extensive the milling on a gun, the higher the price of the gun is going to be.

same goes with any and all AGD bodies that are being made and milled

Oregon_pb_
07-09-2008, 03:13 AM
money as mentioned.

You can buy 2 nice guns for the price of getting 1 milled and ano'd. Actually the two would probably be cheaper and have more goodies with them.

My excal i'm getting milled/ano'd now will likely cost me a little over the cost 3 just as good but maybe not as good looking AKA guns.

going_home
07-09-2008, 05:13 AM
Just picked this FSP up yesterday for a song.
Its got SCM , volumizer, Tadao board, and Robtown valve upgrades.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/going_home/DSC_0228-4.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/going_home/DSC_0229-1.jpg

:D

questionful
07-10-2008, 02:26 PM
^^ That one's purdy! :rolleyes:

Warwitch
07-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Well, since were showing off pretty vikes:

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/9366/dsc03119nl1.jpg

TnDeathInc
07-10-2008, 07:49 PM
hi gloss
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/hookkick13/DSC00011-2.jpg

As much splash as money can buy

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/hookkick13/DSC03412.jpg

chafnerjr
07-10-2008, 09:18 PM

Are you trying to say "sickness cultivates war"?!?!?!? That's the most generous translation I can think of since pacem parabellum historically means "prepare for war" but it depends on it's context...

As for pretty... wern't most of those "pretty" guns that were mentioned aftermarket cockers anyways... isn't that essentially what we're all doing here?!?!?!? whether it be a mag or a vik or whatever... all I'm sayin' is that back in the day you still had to go somewhat custom one way or the other.

TnDeathInc
07-10-2008, 09:29 PM

thats a grandslam there

I dont mind putting a custom anno or mill job on an aka or agd, they will be around as long as i add a few drops of oil in the asa, as for the new generation of guns...not so much

It would be like putting 24 inch dubs and a 2000 dollar paint job on a pinto.

Warwitch
07-11-2008, 06:12 AM
It would be like putting 24 inch dubs and a 2000 dollar paint job on a pinto.

That would actually be way better than a custom EGO. :argh:

BREAD_DA_PAINTER
07-11-2008, 06:51 AM
As much splash as money can buy

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/hookkick13/DSC03412.jpg

I want more pics of thisone...plzzzzzzzzzzz :ninja:

BigEvil
07-11-2008, 06:55 AM
That would actually be way better than a custom EGO. :argh:

That's really the one thing that sticks in my craw about the 'new' guns - you really do not have many options for customization. Sure, you can slap a $35 pair of grips with the silhouette of a naked chick on them, but so can every one else.

Enemy
07-13-2008, 01:44 AM
with the exception of custom milling which now most guns sold do not carry an excess metal to mill off what cant you do to a newer gun that you could do to anyother gun...

and on the other side of the newer gear being disspossible, with the exception of the shocker name one newer gun that has major quality issues!?

This thread is just starting to sound like a group of mustang guys in a car club,,, utterly ignorant!

jgilk1
07-13-2008, 04:45 AM
being new to this forum but not new to the world of customizing i understand where all of you are coming from.

I bought a 10/22 about 2 years ago i spent $189 on the gun and another $500 on stock, barrel, scope and another $100 or so on polishing the trigger/reducing trigger pull and having nylon washers cut to adjust the play out of the trigger.

as for paint ball guns go i bought an auto cocker trilogy pro for $90 it has a flame trigger, dye sticky's, tri-flo derlin bolt, sp progressive barrel/ 2 piece kaner barrel kit i personaly would hav enot spent that much on a trilogy but for less than $100 i couldnt pass it up and when i get a pro stock ill swap all the upgrade parts off and get stock ones.