PDA

View Full Version : So I built an EPMag

Dukie
07-09-2008, 06:38 PM
I just finished my little tinker project today. This is version 1, it works just fine but could look prettier.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k372/duke737/IMG_0398.jpg

I started thinking about this because I have always disliked the trigger pull on my classic mag, it's too heavy, to sharp, and I find it very easy to short stroke it.

So having been sitting on the side lines for a few years, I was surprised to see cheap fasor markers available. Perfect for an EP mag! Single acting 3 way solenoid, standard mounting hole pattern for mags and cockers, 9 volt powered, and rountings for arilines already in place.

I picked up an RPM, and started playing with the design using that. Then someone was selling a wrath frame with all the internals ! Whoohoo! Even easier than the RPM frame as it has a flat top, and the solenoid does not extend past the top of the frame.

The MPA-3 is housed and held in place by the bare aluminum block between the frame and the rail. A couple of nice features this gives me: I can pneumag it with basically any frame, as I am not restricted by frame width to hold the actuator. Also the actuator can be removed and put back in and require no adjustments, its in a fixed position with no fasteners.

The frame I used came off an AR-1, but it is identical to a wrath frame minus the LCD. I have tried to get it into full auto to test the actual rate of fire that the valve can do. No lunk, all the info I can find about these frames are for the wrath. I need the LCD to change the firing modes it seems. Regardless it can outperform my fingers, and NO short stroking!

All together a very cheap and fun project to work on ( $40, for MPA-3 and the trigger frame).

I thought you folks might appreciate this since there seem to be a few people posting about pneumags and Epneumags

Hilltop Customs
07-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Nice job! Innovation at its best.

Dukie
07-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks!

I think I giggled a little when I test fired it. :dance:

Hilltop Customs
07-09-2008, 08:37 PM
haha when I fired mine for the first time.....I ended up emptying 2 scuba tanks in a few LOONNNGG strings of walking the trigger :D

temps
07-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Nice..

So it uses a wrath noid?

Dukie
07-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Yes the wrath grip frame is completely stock. Board, solenoid etc. It worked out really well.

I have only used half a scuba tank so far, I have to leave some fun for tommorrow, maybe even with some paint :)

Toll
07-10-2008, 10:27 AM
That's a really neat, modular idea. If it werent for the fact I don't like wrath frames I'd say that'd be the perfect thing for anyone who wants to do an EP mod but doesn't have the bench/time to devote