PDA

View Full Version : .223 & 6.8mm

bornl33t
07-10-2008, 05:11 AM
so I was butterflying around the Internet as I so often do and noticed a lot of talk about the 6.8 mm Remington cartridge for the AR's. I did some quick poking around but got distracted. I haven't really heard of this round and so I wanted to pick the brain of some one who is more informed then me. Anyone want to give me their opinion on pro's and con's? What's the difference in price to the .223??

stonersr26
07-10-2008, 06:42 AM
6.8~many times more expensive than the 5.56 or .223 but also much better range and knock down. Harder to get a hold of. Pretty much sums it up.

Pneumagger
07-10-2008, 08:42 AM
so I was butterflying around the Internet as I so often do and noticed a lot of talk about the 6.8 mm Remington cartridge for the AR's. I did some quick poking around but got distracted. I haven't really heard of this round and so I wanted to pick the brain of some one who is more informed then me. Anyone want to give me their opinion on pro's and con's? What's the difference in price to the .223??
You will hear alot about the 6.8mm SPC and the 6.5mm Grendel if you read into it more.
The cartridges as applied to the AR15/M16 family are born out of the never ending debate between the "Weak but ergonomic" 5.56mm and the "Heavy hitting" 7.62x39mm.

The 5.56 relies on fragmentation due to extreme velocities as a primary wounding machanism... it was a cartridge birthed for large carry capacity, accurate, low recoil, and full length rifles in the Vietnam era. Well, with the army using the more compact M4 weapon systems and the heavier ss109 projectiles (steel core penetrator) terminal performance is beginning to wan in some persons' opinions. What about the uber common 7.62soviet... it can be chambered by the AR systems and only requires a new bolt and barrel? While true, you can't simply feed a 7.62x39mm reliably into an AR because the taper of the case is more severe, require magazines with much more curvature. That's why AK mags look like "bananas" and AR mags are much straighter. Unfortunately, the Magwell of the AR reciever is straght... so a reliable switch to a common military caliber like thatwould require nearly a complete new firearm. The military doesn't want that because nothing's necessarily wrong with the rifles - just the bullet.

Enter the 6.5mm and 6.8mm
These are cartidges that not only shoot bullets which strike a good compromise between the 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 but also have the same OAL and similar tapers as the 5.56mm cartriges. What does this mean? It means with a new barrel and new bolt, you can fire these new heavier hitting rounds. If I'm not mistaken, I think you can even use standard AR15 magazines, however with reduced capacity (obviously). Another important feature of these cartridges is that because they are so new to the AR game they can be taylored to be used in a shrort barreled rifles more effectively.

For an AR enthusist or someone looking for more punch out of thier AR rifle, they are great. While are great rounds, they lack of infrastructure support versus something like the .223 or 7.62x39 - so they'll be much more expensive. Basically - look into reloading if you plan on shooting it. While there are valid arguments for the military to switch over one (more likely the 6.8SPC), there exists an equal chance thet the round's usage in an AR platform could fizzle out alltogether. There are more gains than losses to be had from switching to a different caliber - but the gains may not be worth the cost at this time (or ever) for a full militry switch.

Personally, I hope to God the military switches over.
Then I'll be salivating over $100/case surplus 5.56mm they'd be getting rid of.

6.5 vs 6.8
http://www.gunblast.com/images/AlexanderArms_65Grendel/1Mvc-017f.jpg

MoeMag
07-10-2008, 11:09 AM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/MoeRoark/07-10-08_0918.jpg
30-06, 6,5 rem mag, .223

I was at the range and picked up some of this 6.5 brass, that was flying out of this guys AR next to me. That was some power, that gun was stupid loud. He was sitting there with this short little 16" tac'ed out AR getting about a 3 inch group at 400yds.

IDK how that compares to your 6.8, but if its anything close... WOW.

Target Practice
07-10-2008, 04:37 PM
If the military switches from 5.56 to 6.8 I'll eat my hat.

kenndogg
07-13-2008, 08:25 AM
I was in the same dilemma as you are. After much research I decided to go with the 6.5 Grendel due to its long range capabilities. While the 6.8 SPC has more punch, it doesn't have the range I was looking for. Look at it this way; the 6.8 is the middle ground b/t the 5.56 and 7.62x39. While the 6.5 is the middle ground b/t the 5.56 and .308. A lot of the info I found concluded that the 6.8 was a dissappointment range wise(not that it was meant for that purpose anyways). I also have an Oly Arms 7.62x39 upper on order just in case I want something with more punch at a closer range. I would take a look at the Grendel or 7.62x39 before the 6.8spc. Ammo for the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC can get a bit pricey but that's expected due to their nature. The 7.62x39 ammo on the other hand is readily available and cheap.

bornl33t
07-13-2008, 05:04 PM
I honestly didn't know that ar's came chambered for anything other then the .223 and the 7.62 cartridge. I saw people talking about the 6.8 and thought it was odd that with all the talk on here it's never come up. So I thought I'd ask. I've been thinking of buying an ar but I haven't been too serious really....but with the elections coming up, that might be something to make a decision on sooner then later huh?

MoeMag
07-13-2008, 05:51 PM
I honestly didn't know that ar's came chambered for anything other then the .223 and the 7.62 cartridge. I saw people talking about the 6.8 and thought it was odd that with all the talk on here it's never come up. So I thought I'd ask. I've been thinking of buying an ar but I haven't been too serious really....but with the elections coming up, that might be something to make a decision on sooner then later huh?

yup.
get your collapsible stock, hi cap mags (beta and C mags), and bayonet lug barrels.