PDA

View Full Version : Definitions and Distinctions?

Anjin3515
07-10-2008, 08:36 AM
This has been coming up a lot with some people I know...so I figured I would ask here for peoples thoughts......

DEFINE...

Woodsball:

Scenario paintball:

Speedball:

Milsim:

What is the difference between...

Milsim and Scenario paintball?

Woodsball and Scenario paintball?

Woodsball and Speedball?

Speedball and Scenario paintball?

BREAD_DA_PAINTER
07-10-2008, 08:48 AM
This has been coming up a lot with some people I know...so I figured I would ask here for peoples thoughts......
DEFINE...
Woodsball:Played in the woods

Scenario paintball:played where there is an objective to accomplish

Speedball:Played on a smaller field and with either air bunkers or custom built bunkers

Milsim:games played with military theme objectives

Milsim and Scenario paintball?one has a military theme the 2nd can be any theme

Woodsball and Scenario paintball?one is in the woods the other can be in woods or another type area

Woodsball and Speedball?woods, 2nd on a field with a small amount of bunkers whether air bunkers or home made style

Speedball and Scenario paintball?Look to 2nd part ^and scenario ball is played with a theme

how i see the difference in those...

Yudanja
07-10-2008, 09:16 AM

DEFINE...

Woodsball: Recreational paintball played in an outdoor environment.

Scenario paintball: typically outdoor, themed based game where you are tasked to complete certain objectives.

Speedball: indoor or outdoor paintball played with bunkers that are aligned in a specific order on a smaller field. can include xball too.

Milsim: Scenario or recreational woodsball played to a military theme, typically with military style clothing and military looking weapons. Typically involves specific missions that mimic a real life war or battle.

Milsim and Scenario paintball? Milsim is themed for a real life war/battle where as scenario can be any scenario, for example an alien invasion.

Woodsball and Scenario paintball? woodsball is recreational play and scenario includes specific missions or goals that is usually themed.

Woodsball and Speedball? woodsball, to me, is played outdoors only and typically involves a larger wooded area with minimal bunkers whereas speedball is played on a relatively small field with prearranged bunkers only.

Speedball and Scenario paintball? speedball is played on a relatively small field with prearranged bunkers only and scenario is played is played on a larger field where certain objectives have to be met and there are many skirmishes over the course of 1 scenario game.

This is my opinion in a nutshell. I have never played a scenario and am not into milsim.

punkncat
07-10-2008, 01:23 PM
DEFINE...

Woodsball: Any game of paintball played in the woods.

Scenario paintball: A game that involves a storyline, an objective, and in many cases roleplaying to a point.

Speedball: A game generally played on a small field with a short time limit. Generally accepted involves playing on a mirrored field where there is no advantage from one side to the other. Normally the field is open, with only air or "hyperball" bunkers in todays game, but really any field with similar sides and bunkers designed for quick and up close games.

Milsim: Involves making equipment appear as real as possible, or close to existing military or tactical equipment. Can also involve the use of modified tactics from such.

Milsim and Scenario paintball? A lot of times this intermingles, but see above. You could play in a scenario with brightly colored "speedball" clothing on using a DM8, or you could be out in camo with a marker mocked up like a macine gun.

Woodsball and Scenario paintball? Woodsball generally has no objective aside from hide and seek. Scenario play could be anywhere, but with the overall objective and storyline involved as the main theme and point of the game

Woodsball and Speedball? Well, speedball could be played in the woods assuming that the course was small and as defined above, similar. Woodsball generally more often involves larger tracts of land and a game played in a more natural environment, or with better defensive creations made more from the surrounding terrain rather than say throwing in an air bunker.

Speedball and Scenario paintball? Speedballs objective is generally to eliminate the other team and to capture a flag. A scenario generally has a longer term goal or set of goal in mind with different objectives and points to defend in the course of play.

Twistedpsyche
07-10-2008, 02:06 PM
This is my opinion in a nutshell. I have never played a scenario and am not into milsim.

You should try a scenario. A well run one can be quite fun.
Milsim is... interesting, but all the equipment is really bulky. I think airsoft is better suited to milsim, but whateva.