PDA

View Full Version : Hey I just figured out what dark matter is!!!

MoeMag
07-12-2008, 01:39 AM
Hey I just figured out what dark matter is!!!

Dark matter:
Un accounted mass of the universe. The mass of “matter” in the universe is assumed to be the only mass.

Energy=Mass * the speed of light^2

Okay… so its been proven that mass and energy are related… and hypothesized that they are interchangeable. That’s how an Atom bomb works… it converts a small amount of mass into a HUGE amount of ENERGY.

The equation for energy gives us our units to work with= kg m2 / sec2
Speed of light is= 299 792 458 m / s… so 1 kg of mass converted into energy is… OMG… 89875517873681764 joules which happens to translate into 21.48076431 megatons of TNT… aka about 4 megatons short of the largest thermo nuclear bomb that has ever been de-classified… and might I add never tested…. So yeah, we know that works.

So, something I was working on earlier related to a pressure gradient made me think of it…

E=mc^2 solved for mass… is m=e/(c2)

Well thankfully C is a constant, no matter where, when, or how fast your going. So I don’t have to worry about it getting really small and making energy infinitely smaller… that would be very bad day for all of us… and if you really want to win the nobel prize figure out why C is C. hahaha.

So what I’m thinking… as energy increases its amount of equivalent ‘mass’ does too according to the equation.

So its been shown that there is a relationship between gravity and matter… so what if gravity begins to build in energy before it actually depositions into matter?

That there is a Gravity gradient as energy approached such high amounts that it begins to have gravity until it falls together, and culminates into matter.

So all that energy out there just floating around in space, it should have a small amount of gravity associated with it. With as much energy and matter that there is out there in space, accounts for the measured deficit of mass and gravity (dark matter).

Dark matter, is energy with gravity.

/Im bored.

snoopay700
07-12-2008, 01:52 AM
I have a problem with dark matter, it just doesn't make sense really lol. I dunno, it's fun to mess around with and everything, but when it comes to plausibility, string theory is where it's at. That explains why our universe is the way it is and why it defies logic a lot better than dark matter, although both can't be proven really.

Sorry, it's late, and i'm tired, need to get up in 5 hours to take my older brother paintballing for the first time, i'll read your post later and comment on it then, i just figured i had to say my stance on dark matter.

MoeMag
07-12-2008, 02:06 AM
Oops. I just figured out why it wont work! lol well sort of... IDK that is assuming that I stick with the simple definition of gravity that seems to work. E-cookie to who figures it out my oops, and a nobel prize to who ever tells me why it wont matte(r). :dance:

LK-13
07-12-2008, 09:22 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/08/16/scispeed116.xml

the speed of light may not be an absolute.
this would change your results.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/FTL.html#21

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/print/482

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-08/epfd-ltt081905.php

Hilltop Customs
07-12-2008, 12:49 PM
wrong because your assuming e=mc^2 is a 2 way street? ie: if you have so much energy it is equivalent to some mass(and therefore has the same gravity of that mass). But there is no way to create mass from pure energy.

Or how about energy doesnt like to group together, look at the sun, massive amt of gravity, but the energy is still given off by the sun. Even black holes dont pull the energy given off by a nearby star, they pull the mass thats creating the energy off the nearby star. Only after the mass from the star is integrated into the black hole, the energy can no longer escape.

energy must have some gravity observing qualities, or you would see some given off by black holes, but that doesnt mean that energy has its own gravity.

i have no idea if thats right, but Ive always wanted an e-cookie

MoeMag
07-12-2008, 02:17 PM
The black hole is called that because nothing can escape its gravitational pull... thats why they are black in every part of spectrum. we can only see the gas that is giving off energy that is beyond the event horizon, where some energy 'light' may still escape. so... that shows that energy cannot even escape gravity at a certain point. So I think thats a plus for me showing that they are related.

wrong because your assuming e=mc^2 is a 2 way street? ie: if you have so much energy it is equivalent to some mass(and therefore has the same gravity of that mass). But there is no way to create mass from pure energy.

Well... the fact that it can be solved for M just as as easily as it can for E makes me think it is a 2 way street. I dont think there is much research about how elementary particles gain mass, and what there is Im afraid is well beyond the world of simple elegant equations.

HAHAHA... Yeah I'll give ya an e-cookie for that. cause thats sort of the issue.

This is the issue I ran into, but I was too tired to type last night...

E=mc^2 solved for mass… is m=e/(c2)
(f)orce due to gravity=f =G*(M/(R^2))

---G=universal gravitational constant
M=mass of object with gravity
R=radius of object.

So I want to throw the two together… so I set the force of gravity equation equal to m… just like what I did with E=mc^2… so now they equal eachother!

(f*r^2)/G=e/(c^2)

One small problem… Energy doesn’t have an r… or does it? Anyone?

Cause if its 0... no go. whole thing falls apart.

I guess i am saying I think that mass, thus having a "r" is a product of all that energy having gravity. so thats why ya got the e-cookie... cause that kinda makes it hard for gravity to build without having a radius.

Avianrave
07-12-2008, 03:51 PM
I would be more impressed if you told me what makes a proton one charge, and an electron the opposite charge.

LK-13
07-12-2008, 04:37 PM
The black hole is called that because nothing can escape its gravitational pull... thats why they are black in every part of spectrum. we can only see the gas that is giving off energy that is beyond the event horizon, where some energy 'light' may still escape. so... that shows that energy cannot even escape gravity at a certain point. So I think thats a plus for me showing that they are related.

actually this is no longer correct.
Steven Hawking discovered that Black Holes have a temperature. 3 degrees Kelvin. (really damned cold)
if a Black Hole has a measurable temperature it has to be emitting something.
Hawking was proved correct and the radiation coming out of Black Holes is now named after him;

Hawking Radiation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

MoeMag
07-12-2008, 05:05 PM
I would be more impressed if you told me what makes a proton one charge, and an electron the opposite charge.

Hey, thats a good place to look...

I know that quarks have various charges and that protons and company are made up of 3 quarks. The over all charge of the proton is made up of the overall charge of the 3 combined. Funny names like up down strange

Now what gives a quark charge… good question. I have heard something along the same lines as a proton but applied to a quark. In that the overall charge of a quark is made up of how it interacts with photons.

And it just keeps going.

I don’t really know. Like C being a constant, electromagnetism is a fundamental force. It just is. I’m not really up to that challenge.

That’s when ya get into equations with more Greek letters than a bad teen movie.

But, going back to quarks photons and charges... when a few high energy photons, which are for lack of a better word, very high order energy, they can smash into each other and create an electron... which does have mass.

So thats a little bit of proof that E=mc2 might be able to work in both directions.

MoeMag
07-12-2008, 05:17 PM
actually this is no longer correct.
Steven Hawking discovered that Black Holes have a temperature. 3 degrees Kelvin. (really damned cold)
if a Black Hole has a measurable temperature it has to be emitting something.
Hawking was proved correct and the radiation coming out of Black Holes is now named after him;

Hawking Radiation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

Wow. The LHC might actually be able to make one then :wow: that’s gnarly.
Again... I’m not up to quantum physics on a mathematical level, probably never will, but there are some weird things out there like neutrinos and such that are really strange… some seem to travel faster than the speed of light and don’t seem to care about gravity. So I guess that something would be able to be emitted from a black hole. 3 degrees huh. Whoa. I guess if that’s true, all we have to do is smash together a few particles so hard that these little particles can touch eachother and boom! Micro black hole! Haha. Cool.

BTW... I think I'm right about the dark matter again. I think that the equation for gravity, having an 'r' in it should be replaced with some sort of density which Im sure is where the r came from before it the equation was derived and simplied. Energy has density... in a way.

neppo1345
07-12-2008, 07:00 PM
LHC goes online in 25 days...

Lets just wait...ehh?

ThePixelGuru
07-12-2008, 08:41 PM
You think C is a constant, eh? There's a lot of tricks of relativity where C isn't C.

Take a light bulb, for instance. It releases photons in every direction. Pick two that are going opposite directions. Relative to the light bulb, both move at the speed of light, C. How fast does one photon move relative to the other?

Or, more concisely, if a man moving at the speed of light holds a mirror in front of him, can he see his reflection?