PDA

View Full Version : Deadlywind CF barrel - can i cut it?

warpfeedmod
07-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Long story short my DW CF barrel that accepts freak inserts has a blemish on the end that appears to be catching the paint when I fire. It's less than a 1/4" at the tip, almost looks like either it chipped or got dropped or banged around, but can I lock it into a vice and cut it myself with a hacksaw/dremel/whatever I have?

Or do I run the risk of totally messing up the barrel?

WickedKlown2
07-15-2008, 03:01 PM
I would suggest that you NOT cut a carbon fiber barrel yourself... One cutting carbon fiber can be very dangerous because the dust would be very bad for your health if you breathed it in,,, Two would be that the sliver from carbon fiber are way smaller than fiber glass and can easily get under you skin and cause further health problems... Three would be if you did cut it how would you reseal the carbon fiber to keep it from coming unraveled any further and once again fall back into the safety category (i.e. dust and slivers)... There are many things to think about before you go messing with carbon fiber... Find a trained professional to cut your barrel such as a Archery shop that cuts carbon fiber arrows all day long and can reseal the cut end... Don't end up a safety statistic...

Just my 2 pennies...

warpfeedmod
07-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks, thats what I wanted to know!

I guess second question comes in, can this even be fixed? If I send it back to DW can he repair it? Could someplace like an auto-shop who does fiberlgass be able to do it?

DevilMan
07-15-2008, 03:12 PM
I agree with WK on this... And a body shop cutting fiberglass is not the same as carbon fiber. Now if they have the means to cut REAL carbon fiber and not just CF stickered plastics then you may have a go. I had not thought of the archery shops though. Good call WK!!!!

I'd check with them and see or just call DW and find out if they'll do it.

Good luck and let us know what ya find out,

DM

Twistedpsyche
07-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Having worked with CF extensively... here is what you can do.

First wear gloves and a dust mask. Don't do this anywhere you want to keep clean. You CAN cut it with a hacksaw, a fresh blade, the more teeth the better. Idealy a band saw would work better.

Second get yourself some 400+ grit sandpaper. Sand all the edges under COLD water.

If you get any carbon fiber on yourself, wash in COLD water. Why cold water? It keeps your pores closed. Using warm water will let the carbon in to your pores and it will itch like CRAZY!! Not pleasant.

Over all pretty easy to do, just don't breathe it or eat it. :) Good luck!!

maniacmechanic
07-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks, thats what I wanted to know!

I guess second question comes in, can this even be fixed? If I send it back to DW can he repair it? Could someplace like an auto-shop who does fiberlgass be able to do it?

I'd bet DW would repair or replace the barrel , if they choose to replace it they may send you a new one first & then ask you to return yours