PDA

View Full Version : classic mag using co2 question!

-crosshair-
07-29-2008, 02:33 PM
ok, so im going to get a classic mag and (hopefully) a tac one body.

my question is:

if i start out with the gun using co2 on gun (no remote), am i going to be replacing o rings every time i play? i dont shoot to fast, and i dont ever expect to be shooting very fast for over 2-3 seconds.

plus, i will only be shooting around 6-8 bps max

i plan to eventually upgrade to hpa, but i cannot yet.

SCpoloRicker
07-29-2008, 02:49 PM
You probably will run into issues running CO2 (despite comments that will inevitably follow).

Some steps you can take to minimize the problems:

Remote (as you mentioned you weren't interested in)

Vertical bottle setup

Expansion chamber

Those are roughly in order of effectiveness, and they can all be combined; i.e. vert bottle in a pack, through a remote, through an expansion chamber. I used to run that setup back in the day, and I would still have occasional issues with CO2.

Your best bet is to save up and run HPA.

athomas
07-29-2008, 03:23 PM
HPA is definately the way to go. CO2 is fine if you can keep liquid out of the valve. Liquid just causes the orings to leak, but they should still be fine. You won't have to replace them. You can take steps to reduce CO2 liquid. Using anti-siphon, or vertical bottle, and/or a palmers stabilizer or expansion chamber.

pmstc
07-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Get an anti-siphon tube installed and calibrated in your CO2 tank for your mag and you shouldn't have many problems. Use an expansion chamber for an extra safety net.

But HPA will be much better.

cowsnose
07-29-2008, 03:57 PM
I haven't had any issues using co2 on my un-regulated classic. The tank is anti-siphoned, which is pretty k3y. Though it is fun so shoot snow, just give it a half turn. :p
I'm sure a stabilizer would help, but I haven't found a need at the chrono. Just clean and oil the innards more frequently and you should be fine.

Spider-TW
07-29-2008, 04:01 PM
You probably will run into issues running CO2 (despite comments that will inevitably follow).

Some steps you can take to minimize the problems:

Remote (as you mentioned you weren't interested in)

Vertical bottle setup

Expansion chamber

Those are roughly in order of effectiveness, and they can all be combined; i.e. vert bottle in a pack, through a remote, through an expansion chamber. I used to run that setup back in the day, and I would still have occasional issues with CO2.

Your best bet is to save up and run HPA.

What he said ^^^

A good expansion chamber does a lot.

I never tried the anti-siphon tube because I don't want to be constrained to being completely vertical all the time. I didn't shoot people in the ankles often, but when I did I wanted a working marker when I stood up (about the time they came back down). :D

The fundamental problem is the CO2 expands in the reg and valve body when it goes from about 700 psi in the bottle to around 400 psi in the reg and atmospheric pressure in the valve. There's no getting around the required heat for that. Even without liquid problems the gas stops expanding after the reg gets ice cold and the seals can get hard as well. On humid days the layer of ice that can build up on the reg just insulates it more.

The rates you are talking about should be fine, but eventually you get into a good, long shootout and start rubbing that reg like a magic lamp.

punkncat
07-29-2008, 04:03 PM
I have not ever fully gotten rid of problems using CO2 on a mag. Mostly I could get it to a point where if I was careful to shoot slowly in "warmer" weather then it would operate. Beyond that the problems just multiply. For all the money you would spend on the things you need to reduce the occurance of these problems you could buy something else that would work better on, or get an HPA tank.

In my honest opinion the BT/Tippy 98 marker is one of the best on CO2 currently available for any weather due to their valve style. The dump chamber screw operates much more efficently than working with springs or regs.

Smoothice
07-29-2008, 04:54 PM
For the cost of a good expansion chamber and a vert asa you could probably pick up a steel hpa tank.

Hell I have one I could sell you for cheap.

When I started getting back into mags I did the same thing you are thinking. I got a vert asa. Then an expansion chamber. Then a anti siphon tube. And in the end I finally broke down and got HPA.

The only time I would advise someone to put together a co2 friendly mag is if HPA is not available to them.

Silverback
07-30-2008, 02:08 AM
An old trick we use to use "back-in-the-day" was to attach a 20" braided hose to the ASA on the back of the MAG and coil it tightly and tie wrap it to hold the coils, (the more coils the better) then attach it to the Valve.

Everytime the CO2 changes direction, it gives off liquid, the more coils, the more chance to give off liquid. This is the cheapest way to prevent liquid from getting to your valve.

ThePixelGuru
07-30-2008, 09:35 AM
I run vertical CO2 on my Minimag. No problems.

I have a single trigger and don't shoot a whole lot, though.

thegrayghost
07-30-2008, 10:26 AM
could not get hpa at the time, and used co2 which i had....kept the mag always lowered in back and front tilted up...even when firring, tried to keep the nmarker straight, so liquid co2 didn't get to the valve quicker.....i fired fine all day in the winter time....

thegrayghost