PDA

View Full Version : A couple newbie questions

Cerebellum
07-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Recently, I bought an Automag Classic for $50 from a field that was selling off some old stuff. It was in pretty bad condition, leaking air and such and looked like it had never been cleaned, but I found this site, cleaned it up and fixed a few minor issues, and now its a pretty nice gun. However, while browsing the AGD store, I found some mention of a Field Rental Automag, somehow different from an ordinary Classic.

So, my first question is, what is a Field Rental mag and how is it different from an ordinary mag?

Also, I noticed that on the valve, where it is supposed to say 68 Automag Classic, on mine half of it says Auto and then the C of classic, and then the other half says Mag but, below that, instead of the rest of Classic it says A.I.R. and then Integrated Regulator. Puzzling. I guess my valve is actually the on/off assembly from one gun and the regulator assembly from another? If anyone could shed some light on this I'd be obliged.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and another question. If I get a new mainbody for my mag, with the Cocker threads, will I be able to use any other Cocker-type barrel on my gun, or do I need to use a barrel specially designed for the Mag?

Thanks!

paint magnet
07-31-2008, 11:44 AM
If you have a cocker threaded body, you can use any barrel with Autococker threads.

Functionally, I don't think there was any difference between the rental valves and the standard AIR valves. Classic valves have had several types of engraving over the years (.68 AutoMag, MiniMag, CenterFire Mag, AutoMag Classic, SmartMag, pre-star valves, rental valves, etc.) but internally they are all the same. It's not extremely uncommon to find a valve with mixed halves.

ThePixelGuru
07-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Yes, you have two different valve halves. No big deal, though, they're the same thing, just relabeled.

IIRC, rental 'mags had a lower limit to the blow-off valve in the back and had a solid power tube.

Cerebellum
07-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks guys, and now I have another question. On a lot of the pics of mags I've seen here, they've been modded so that instead of having the airtank vertical in front of the trigger housing, the're horizontal behind the gun, with some type of grip/hose assembly on the vertical tank assembly. I've looked at my gun, and I'm seeing two holes in the grip where I could easily screw in a tank mount, but I've looked around on AGD's site and the links in the FAQ, and having found anything like what I'm talking about being sold.

Does anyone know where I can buy one of these?

Ninjeff
07-31-2008, 03:30 PM
any after market asa thats NOT dove tail mounted will work. CP makes some good ones with an on/off. Ive had two and loved em both.

Cerebellum
07-31-2008, 04:18 PM
Alright, cool, and I have one more questions, hopefully the last. How much do standard Automag Classics sell for, approximately? I could get a few more from that field if I wanted too, clean 'em up and sell them, do you think I would be able to turn a profit? They are selling them for $50, and they throw in a cheap mask, 500-round ViewLoader, and little podholder with two pods.

Ninjeff
07-31-2008, 09:00 PM
get em all cleaned up and you could turn a profit, sure. Even just from parts. I'd say $80-90 is a fair price for one, in GOOD condition, clean, and working. Hell, if you do, pm me and i may pick up a classic valve form you for cheap. :)

paint magnet
08-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Just rough figures, but:

On average, Classic mags go for around $125-150 here. That's with matching valve halves, in good condition, and usually with a couple aftermarket barrels or aftermarket grip frame.

Private label or special edition Mags, and highly upgraded guns $200-250. That's with rarer upgrades, like Eclipse splash kits, Pro-Line Autoresponse frames, Taso rails, and the like.

A beat up Mag with mis-matched valve halves and all stock parts would probably bring $75-85, but it's really just a matter of finding someone who will buy it as to what it's worth.

Enemy
08-02-2008, 05:58 PM
the rental mags have rental laser engraved on the side of the valve, the rental valves had shorter powertubes and a lower blow off pressure on the AIR valve. this design makes it impossible to put a lvl 10 on the rental.

as far as i can gather from your last question is that you want to run the bottle off the bottom of the grip frame. you can do this without runing the air line through the vertical asa that you have now, you can actually run the air line straight from whatever bottom line you put on there to the valve.