PDA

View Full Version : Bullet proof masks?

bryceeden
07-31-2008, 08:28 PM
OK, so the myth is that some mask's lenses are bullet proof. I first heard this rumor years ago about the then new JT Spectra thermal lenses back in the day and have heard it about several mask since then most recently the V-force Profiler and Grill. Usually these claims are at insanly close ranges and include pictures of somesort that could have been hit with about anything.

This set of grill lenses was suposidly shot from 5' away with a .40cal 165gr. FMJ round.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a123/texminn/IMG_0412.jpg

Well, I've got alot of old masks, spare lenses, guns, and ammo so I'm going to test it out tomarrow night with full video documentation.

Here are some of the masks we'll be shooting(just the lens on some of them)
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm31/dyslexiapaintball/masks001.jpg

We'll start off with a 9mm 115gr fmj round from the fabled 5' mark with the mask placed on a melon or coconut then record the result. We'll then experiment with other calibers and ranges with the extra lenses we have(we've got ALOT of profiler lenses). Right now it looks like we'll be using the Ventz thermal lens, JT elite, JT spectra, V-force Armor, and V-force Profiler for sure, we may(but probably won't) add a V-force Grill and Save Phace mask but nither of us is sure we want to shoot the lenses from our masks we are currently using and love(and are both nearly new) We will eventually probably do a Grill, Dye, and Save Phace test, a grill lens at least since its the newest incarnation of the legend but probably now tomarrow unless we find someone locally who wants to donate a set before we go.

My money is on none of them stopping the bullet, but time will tell and it'll be fun anyway.

We'll post the results tomarrow night and a video shortly thereafter.

Results are here(or will be once the video gets done prossessing).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_xLeNxeyvgE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_xLeNxeyvgE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

spwz99
07-31-2008, 08:31 PM
this looks promising. :D

subscribed

bryceeden
07-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Just for fun in the end we'll probably have to bust out the assualt rifles and breaching shotgun :D

Coralis
07-31-2008, 08:38 PM
the only way i see these lenses not allowing a bullet to penetrate them is if they are not anchored down or attached to unmoving object , but it will be interested to see.

FiXeL
07-31-2008, 08:42 PM
Dress up like Jamie and Adam from the mythbusters and you got yourself a show! Can't wait to see the results! :headbang:

bryceeden
07-31-2008, 08:43 PM
the only way i see these lenses not allowing a bullet to penetrate them is if they are not anchored down or attached to unmoving object , but it will be interested to see.

We'll try it both ways, anchored and not.

RangerX
07-31-2008, 08:43 PM
IDC that would probably hurt like a mofo getting hit

bryceeden
07-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Dress up like Jamie and Adam from the mythbusters and you got yourself a show! Can't wait to see the results! :headbang:

We'll probably just wear our SWAT gear(just incase, close range shooting scares me) but mythbusters suits would be cool.

Ninjeff
07-31-2008, 08:52 PM
::wrings hands::

now THIS is something i look forward to seeing. :shooting:

wetwrks
07-31-2008, 09:21 PM
OK, so the myth is that some mask's lenses are bullet proof.

This is news to me. I am aware that Gargoyles sunglasses are. I have seen it done on Johnny Carson.

wetwrks
07-31-2008, 09:22 PM
I expected to see something like this:

http://www.securityprousa.com/tabaleiiima.html

ThePixelGuru
07-31-2008, 09:46 PM
Never heard that myth before. I don't see how it could be true, but maybe.

Wonder what the deal is with that Grill photo. That top shot seems like odd placement, if I was doing two shots to a lens it'd be right in the eye or right between the eyes, not on the edge...

Swampy
07-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Try a different round like a .30-06, Enfield .300, .303, .308, 45-70, .44 MAG, or a .500 S&W.

I want to see what happens

cockerpunk
07-31-2008, 10:09 PM
nice work!

drg
07-31-2008, 10:14 PM
Well there is this:

Edit.......No there isnt. link removed. You should know not to post vids with swearing. The camera guy even mentioned it. Love it or hate it, its the AO rules. See ya in three days.

I would say I hope you use the melon rather than the coconut so you can see the shock/force that is transfered to the head.

bryceeden
07-31-2008, 11:19 PM
I've seen that one, it was a good try but not really conclusive(not enough info given and the lens needed to be more secure). Plus the power of a rifle and a pistol differ alot even in the same caliber. I fully expect all the lenses to shatter when hit with the 9mm but time will tell. Then like I said we'll bust out some smaller guns to test, and bigger guns just for fun and distruction.

Also I will use atleast one melon with a full mask on just to see what damage it does.

Raven001
08-01-2008, 06:56 AM
I've heard the bullet proof story myself but the claim was that the material was .22 cal proof. 9 mm or .40 call will go through the plastic being used and I suspect that a .22 will as well.

nulam
08-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Ok, my curiosity is piqued.

bryceeden
08-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Well there is this:

Edit.......No there isnt.

Thats awsome :rofl: :hail:

drg, no disrespect to you I've been banned for the same thing but this is the best moderator edit I've ever seen.

bryceeden
08-01-2008, 10:03 AM
I should have posted a poll to see if anyone on here actually thinks it'll stop a 9mm bullet. I know PBN people do.

Lohman446
08-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Try a different round like a .30-06, Enfield .300, .303, .308, 45-70, .44 MAG, or a .500 S&W.

I want to see what happens

:rofl: :rofl: You might have a chance of stopping a pistol round (I highly doubt it) but few people understand the vast difference between a pistol and a rifle.

Hint - a 357 Mag shows a FPS gain of about 50% when loaded for a rifle rather than a pistol - and thats not even a "real" rifle round.

warpfeedmod
08-01-2008, 10:49 AM
while the results will be interesting, I have to objectively say that using older masks/lenses might not be a true test to the ability of them to stop a bullet.

I mean, if the lense has been around for a while (many years perhaps?) is it possible that they've already started to degrade in quality just over time?

Have the lenses been impacted in the past by a paintball?

Have they been dropped/tossed into the trunk after a hard day's use?

While it may not be cost effective to test a NEW lense every time, that would give you the best results no?

Much in the same way they say you should get a new bike helmet after taking a fall with your current one, I would imagine if you take a few shots to the mask while during game, you'll eventually want to replace the lense..

FiXeL
08-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Thats awsome :rofl: :hail:

drg, no disrespect to you I've been banned for the same thing but this is the best moderator edit I've ever seen.

Me too... As a matter of fact it was almost a year ago. Well, see it from the bright side... I was banned for a week. :rofl:

bryceeden
08-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Some of the lenses we'll be using are new, most arn't due to cost but we do want to see if that makes a difference.

My money is still on them all just getting shot thru.

warpfeedmod
08-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Some of the lenses we'll be using are new, most arn't due to cost but we do want to see if that makes a difference.

My money is still on them all just getting shot thru.

makes sense, after all not everyone wants to go spend cash on perfectly good lenses just to shoot them and see the outcome lol

It'd be an interesting testament to their quality if you can get the manufacturers to send you just the lenses and then let them know your results as well.

bryceeden
08-01-2008, 01:15 PM
makes sense, after all not everyone wants to go spend cash on perfectly good lenses just to shoot them and see the outcome lol

It'd be an interesting testament to their quality if you can get the manufacturers to send you just the lenses and then let them know your results as well.

Really though does it matter much? I never plan to take a bullet even in woodsball. They've all passes the ASTM and such standards and a ball won't break thru them.

The test isn't going to be the most scentific, basically I'm putting a mask on a watermelon and shooting it from 5' away just to see what happens.

B-Pow
08-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Really though does it matter much? I never plan to take a bullet even in woodsball. They've all passes the ASTM and such standards and a ball won't break thru them.

The test isn't going to be the most scentific, basically I'm putting a mask on a watermelon and shooting it from 5' away just to see what happens.

And when you're done, fruit salad!

with lead.

trevorjk
08-01-2008, 02:27 PM
And when you're done, fruit salad!

with lead.

think of it as sprinkles :dance:

Sumthinwicked
08-01-2008, 02:47 PM
they should be z87 which is safetyglass gl if it bounces better do it at a range not in the backyard please

bryceeden
08-01-2008, 03:48 PM
they should be z87 which is safetyglass gl if it bounces better do it at a range not in the backyard please

No, I'm going to do it at the local paintball field like in the priviously posted then removed video. Actually I'm going go out into the desert, the range won't let me test it there.

Sumthinwicked
08-01-2008, 04:20 PM
good ;) just watching out for safety

bryceeden
08-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Will do, we've even got an equipt medical staff just in case.

bryceeden
08-02-2008, 07:53 AM
OK, youtube is taking forever to upload it but the video is done and should be up shortly.

bryceeden
08-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Video is up on the first page now.

ThePixelGuru
08-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Video is up on the first page now.
"We're sorry, this video is no longer available."

Youtube doesn't like you...?

bryceeden
08-02-2008, 09:23 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_xLeNxeyvgE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_xLeNxeyvgE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It works now.

rawbutter
08-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Very nice video, guys. I thoroughly enjoyed it (especially the camera guy's comments).

That shotgun sure caused some crackage, didn't it. ;)

Ninjeff
08-02-2008, 02:17 PM
pretty cool stuff.

I wonder how they hold up from longer distances though. Any reason you chose 5ft.? I dont know squat about real fire arms, so im just curious.

And bryce, nice uniform there. :headbang:

bryceeden
08-02-2008, 03:41 PM
The picture that made me decide to do this was said to have been shot from 5' away. I would have prefered(and been more accurate from) about 15'.

Thanks, I like my uniform too up until I have to run in it :(

Hexis
08-02-2008, 03:55 PM
I think what they ment was that the masks were bulletproof if you gently tossed a bullet from 5' away, and by "you" then mean "an infant".

bryceeden
08-02-2008, 05:06 PM
I posted this on PBN and several kids have responded that they've seen videos or whatever and know its true. Of coarse they are all 100% unable to produce links to said videos, but they know V-force said it(which I've still yet to get proof of) so it must be true. I have a new respect for the power of product hype over actual data.

I had Grill and Save Phace lenses we were going to test, but by the time we got to them we already knew the outcome(the Grill lens isn't that much thicker then the Profiler) so we decided we wouldn't waist the lenses to masks we actually use.

Enemy
08-02-2008, 05:39 PM
hahah nice vid...on a side note

About 2 years ago I shot up an old jt spectre lens i had laying around with a .22 air rifle(pellet gun), It actually stopped it with only small amounts of damage to the lense. Im pretty sure that the muzzle velocity on that gun if i remember correctly was probably around 650 to 750fps, the pellet was a pointed head lead pellet from walmart and i took several shots from about 10ft and 5ft all were repelled.

edit: adjusted time god im getting old!

Ninjeff
08-02-2008, 07:26 PM
i would like to see you try it from greater distances. Would be really cool if you could get a "high speed camera" to take some killer slow mo' shots. I'd donate some trashed (read: dirty and scratched) JT and VForce lenses.

Actually, you should just do a whole "bullet proof?" mythbuster style thing. Shoot every thing and see what happens. (in a controlled environment of course).

OKOK i just like seeing what happens when stuff gets shot. Sue me... :argh:

RangerX
08-02-2008, 07:57 PM
heh the shotgun was my favorite. Cool vid

paintball72
08-02-2008, 08:09 PM
for how much?

MoeMag
08-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Im going shooting tomorrow... I have a v-force lens...
what you wanna see? sorry I dont have any video... well I might be able too... we'll see... pics are no problem.

I have 9mm, 45 colt, my AR with .223 and 30-06, not to mention any shotgun load you would like to see all the way up to 3 1/2 super magnum "00".

tell me what range and ya got it.

LMK by tomorrow morning about 6 AZ time.

bryceeden
08-02-2008, 09:58 PM
i would like to see you try it from greater distances. Would be really cool if you could get a "high speed camera" to take some killer slow mo' shots. I'd donate some trashed (read: dirty and scratched) JT and VForce lenses.

Actually, you should just do a whole "bullet proof?" mythbuster style thing. Shoot every thing and see what happens. (in a controlled environment of course).

OKOK i just like seeing what happens when stuff gets shot. Sue me... :argh:

With the exception of the shotgun which would probably be defeated at less than 100yards(birdshot) It would probably take a great deal of range(1,000s of yards) to alow the lens to stop most of the others. If you get far enough sooner or later the lens will win. I have a very low paying(but enjoyable) job so a better camera isn't really do able. Some of the guns we fired would actually punch right thru my vest at that close of range so I'm really not surprized at all that the lens lost.

Runamok
08-03-2008, 04:47 AM
I recall seeing the ad in Action Pursuit Games magazine when the Spectra's were first introduced. The lens was shot with birdshot from 20' away? Something like that. scared up the lens but they didn't break. It would seem to me the the research lacked depth. Great vid guys. BTW befor I started playing paintball I was shooting action pistol matches in the USPSA. I've learned alot of ballistic information and none of it applies to paintball :rofl:

Mime
08-04-2008, 09:11 PM
I liked all that crackedge. lol

wetwrks
08-05-2008, 04:06 PM
You guys had way too much fun with that. :shooting:

Siress
08-05-2008, 04:15 PM
The 'myth' that I remember was a video of someone shooting a Spectre lens with a .22 pistol from some distance. Did you guys try that one?

Desega
08-05-2008, 04:18 PM
The 'myth' that I remember was a video of someone shooting a Spectre lens with a .22 pistol from some distance. Did you guys try that one?

We did and we didn't, we used a .22 but it wasn't from a great distance.

Siress
08-05-2008, 04:30 PM
We did and we didn't, we used a .22 but it wasn't from a great distance.

Ah, no matter. I never intended to test, much less depend on, such a myth. :rolleyes:

Glad you guys had fun. The test and body armor remind me of this:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ABGIJwiGBc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ABGIJwiGBc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Desega
08-05-2008, 06:13 PM
I believe that happened like 10 miles from where we shot our video.