PDA

View Full Version : emag battery to warp problem

dark blade
08-02-2008, 12:14 PM
i searched and found directions to convert the 18v of the emag battery pack to 12v for my warp feed. It works perfectly and i am very pleased with the results... however, the outgoing capacitor is very hot after only a second or two of holding down the white button (to advance warp)

My question is... should this happen? is anything bad going to occur or is it meant to get hot quickly. Also, the bottom of the capacitor on the outgoing is starting to bulge a tad and is no longer flat like the incoming.

any problems here? or am i ok

dark blade
08-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Ok guys... did some research and it turns out that you can't solder an electrolytic capacitor on whichever way you want.

I had the polarity reversed and the negative was going into the positive and vice versa... so isimply unsoldered it and resoldered it correctly...

Works 100% fine now and no heating issues or bulging problems other than the previous bulge.however, I will be sparing another $10 to remake the regultor just incase the capacitor already failed inside.

Let my stupidity be a lesson to everyone

athomas
08-03-2008, 07:57 PM
If you reach a high enough potential with an electrolytic capacitor while they are reversed they will explode like a small bomb. Its really quite impressive.