PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth the time and money to get a Pump Mag?

MAGslinger
08-02-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm considering purchasing a 68 classic automag powerfeed and then having it milled for a rainman pump kit. I ask what the difference will be. I bought a Sniper II awhile back and sold it because it sucked and was not my type of pump. I was at my local field last month, and this guy showed up with an awesome old automag pump (it looked like the powerfeed was cut down, and it had those really neat Smart Parts Wooden grips from back in the day). I'm interested, I just want to hear from pump Mag owners if there really is any advantage your pump mag has against the Sniper II's and Phantoms that roam the field.

DevilMan
08-02-2008, 09:46 PM
I am in no way an authority on the pumps out there... but let me tell ya.... I LOVE MY PUMP MAG!!!!!

I am selling off my phantoms and my snipers. Only keeping the J2 because of the AT and the Eagle pump because I want to get its internals sprung same as the J2 and get it custom anno'd.

I plan on keeping those 3 pumps only. Yeah like I need that many. The pump mag has the sweetest stroke of any of them and I absolutely love the way it shoots. No roll outs is a major plus with me as well. And the fact that you just have to click it to shoot again... ahhhhhhhhh sexyyyyyyyyyyyyy....

The J2 may go up for sale down the road but not until I get the Eagle up and running as smooth as she is. I guess the best thing is you can run the mag pump til you get low on air, then swap the tank over to an LP sniper type and finish off the tank.

Does it make sense to "break" a gun to make it a pump??? Not at all... but I do love the way mine shoots!

DM

mr doo doo
08-02-2008, 10:41 PM
i agree with whatever Devilman says: Pump mags are amazing! Though there are times where i have to tweak the cocking rod or change carrier sizes, but once its ready, it shoots money.

Never had a pump before, so i couldnt compare it to anything else, but people with Snipers and CCM guns kept saying how smooth a CCM pump was; got one not too long ago and boy they dont know what "buttery smooth" is when it comes down to a Pump mag :) .

hmudd13
08-03-2008, 02:59 AM
I have 2 pump mags.
One is an older style from AGD, and I just had Rainman229 mill my ule body and install one of his kits (with the hitman mod) on another.
I love the older mag, but the new Rainman kit is awesome. First time I ever used a hitman mod and let me tell you it really keeps the marker on target. (a lot less shaking)

The only drawback to mag pumps is no AT. Other than that, they are a thing of beauty.

MAGslinger
08-03-2008, 12:25 PM
What does the hitman mod do?

DevilMan
08-03-2008, 12:52 PM
The hitman mod thing is that little piece of metal that hangs down VERTICALLY from the back of the pump handle. It allows you to hold the foregrip with your hand then just extend a finger forward to pull back the pump handle. Instead of having to reach with your whole hand.

DM

Brewtt
08-03-2008, 07:11 PM
The hitman mod thing is that little piece of metal that hangs down VERTICALLY from the back of the pump handle. It allows you to hold the foregrip with your hand then just extend a finger forward to pull back the pump handle. Instead of having to reach with your whole hand.

DM

Example: Brewtt shooting his Rainman V2 Pump Mag with "Hitman mod." Look at my pump-hand fingers.
DevilMan was actually watching this game from the sidelines at Coastal Clash Pump-Only Scenario. This was evening time... in between day and night play. We were having some two on two scrimmages. I was playing against Demonio and dextous in a 2 on two. Good times. :ninja:
http://www.fatalpaint.com/gallery2/d/11280-2/DSCF1212.JPG

DevilMan
08-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Twas funny watching you guys do that Brewtt!!!! Some quick moves done by all parties.. then Soren let me "shoot" his... :D BTW, my new one shoots like a dream!!!!

Gettin rid of my other pumps now.. :D

DM

going_home
08-03-2008, 08:30 PM
I didnt like the pump mag I had.
It was just too finicky for my taste.
I got tired of constantly fiddling with it to get it to work .
Rainman did an excellent job on it, it just wasnt for me.

:cry:

ManInBlack
08-03-2008, 09:01 PM
This thread prompted me to look on youtube to see if I could find pump mag stuff there, but there's nothing? :cry:

Anyone want to put some videos up to give us a better idea of what they're like?

flyingpootang
08-03-2008, 10:51 PM

DM

It doubles your ROF if someone is rushing you.

flyingpootang
08-03-2008, 10:54 PM
I didnt like the pump mag I had.
It was just too finicky for my taste.
I got tired of constantly fiddling with it to get it to work .
Rainman did an excellent job on it, it just wasnt for me.

:cry:

I've have had no issues at all. The pumps I own are 2 pumpmags, 1 cocker, 1 pgp, and 1 DuckSlide phantom. The pumpmag is the smoothest by far....

Brewtt
08-03-2008, 11:02 PM
then Soren let me "shoot" his... :D

The one Soren was using was actually mine also. It was my Version 1 Rainman Pump Mag (no Hitman). I am still amazed that you were able to foul almost every pump mag you touched. :p

Remember this?

"Don't man-handle the pump! Just flick or fling it backwards!" ;)

You get it now... right? I bet now the pump seems to work like... like witchcraft. :cheers:

DevilMan
08-04-2008, 12:18 AM
You gotta keep in mind that I've only ever shot Snipers, Phantoms, TigerSharks, and other heavy handed pumps!!!! Hell I didn't know that's all it took.

:D Luckily I've not mucked mine up but a few others have when I have to tell them the same thing... :D

Just a light little touch on the button... I find it entertaining to "air pump" it as well.

:D Though my J2 I can do that with...

Anywho... back to the OP.... What it's worth is up to you. Depends on how much you shoot pumps. I like to go out with any gun and just a pocket hopper on it. On most of the things I run from angels to eteks I've ran pocket hoppers. :D I don't shoot fast. But I love the way the pump feels to me now.

GOING HOME ~> My pump mag was doing the same thing and giving me all kinds of grief. Not until I got this new one have I started liking them. I think between Brewtt, Ajnin, myself and alot of time we figured out it was the rail I had that was mucking it all up. But anyway... they can be finicky, luckily mine is not right now.

YMMV,

DM

going_home
08-04-2008, 07:29 PM
GOING HOME ~> My pump mag was doing the same thing and giving me all kinds of grief. Not until I got this new one have I started liking them. I think between Brewtt, Ajnin, myself and alot of time we figured out it was the rail I had that was mucking it all up. But anyway... they can be finicky, luckily mine is not right now.

YMMV,

DM

Well I got it working fine before I traded it, but it was already too late by then.
I had spent a whole day at the field putzing around with it trying to get it to work.
I would no sooner get in a game and get started and have to go out for some malfunction.
This replaced it quite nicely too.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/going_home/IMG_6628.jpg

;)

PumpMag
08-04-2008, 07:41 PM
I now have 3 Automag pumps: Stockclass, ULE vertical feed, and powerfeed.

They slightly vary to meet my needs, but each one really effectively gets the job done. I use them for both tourney and rec ball.

I have the original factory versions 1 and 2 pump kits, and the smooth handled version by Cerberus Innovations I've been an Automag shooter for years, and the pump conversions felt really natural to me because of that. I rarely shoot my semis anymore. But I sure save on money and paint.

I haven't got a chance to try the rainman kit, but I may eventually get one too!

All I have to say is, if you have the urge to get one then borrow one, shoot one, and if you really like it, then buy one.

I seldom have issues, but when I do they are usally easy fixes.

MAGslinger
08-09-2008, 04:19 PM
I just want a pump mag because they are unique and not mass produced like a Phantom or Autococker Pump gun. I wish the paintball market in general would make more pump paintball guns.

Siress
08-09-2008, 09:31 PM
More pumps would be phenomenal. I think CCI is up to 70k now, over the course of 20+ years. :headbang: I haven't heard what CCM's count is up to, but those are the only two current manufactures worth mentioning. There are perhaps a couple of hundred pump mags and a few thousand snipers. There is no telling how many tens of thousands of nelson based pumps still floating around, excluding the Phantom. There are probably several thousand brass beauties remaining with a hundred or so being added each year by the Palmer collective, whom are another manufacture worth mentioning.

I think that about covers it. I'd guesstimate around 150k legitimate pump markers in the nation.

As for pump 'mag vs Phantom, I plead no contest. The Phantom was designed from the first second to be the perfect pump gun. The mag was designed to be the best semi-auto gun. Converting either to do what they were not designed to do will not render a superior performing gun.

End.
-Siress

ajnin
08-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Lol... anyone who says otherwise, hasnt shot a pump mag. It is by far worth it. It amazes me every time I use it and its been close to a year. I have little to no problems, and one of the smoothest, sexiest pump strokes I have ever seen. I can air pump. :D

And its more consistent over a chrony than either of the phantoms I owned.

dcent
08-11-2008, 10:24 AM
I just want a pump mag because they are unique and not mass produced like a Phantom or Autococker Pump gun. I wish the paintball market in general would make more pump paintball guns.

exact same reason why I just got my pump mag.

pump mag VS pump cocker

mag has no roll out.
mag cant be double cocked. ( 2 balls in breach leading to craptastic action )

some people say that closed bolt ( cocker ) is more accurate but I havent noticed any difference ( mag has a freak kit )

turtled cocker pump is a bit lighter than pump mag.

If you want to get head turns at your field and people saying " what kind of phantom is that?" or "is that a pump MAG?" then mag is the way to go.

I point my gun down alot and tend to double pump so mag is good for me.