PDA

View Full Version : Feeling ever so slightly jipped.. but no biggie

thecompany
01-23-2002, 10:16 AM
Just wanted to register my incy wincy complaint that my brand new 3K Flatline, ordered from the AGD online store, has a manufacture date of 3/01. Looks like I've only got two years until hydro. Bummer...

But like I said, no real biggie.

cphilip
01-23-2002, 10:25 AM
You realy should call them and see if they can make some adjustment. It would be better if you try and work this out offline first. They most likely had some old stock get not rotated out early. Its not uncommon to have lost about 3-6 montsh on a tank from manufacture to retail but a year is a bit large I think. Call em and see if they will work something out with you. You have to give them a chance first right?

BlackVCG
01-23-2002, 10:33 AM
If memory serves me correct, the Carleton tanks they use on the 3K Flatlines have a 5 year Hydro instead of 3.

cphilip
01-23-2002, 10:34 AM
Oh that would be cool! As I am getting a new one soon as well. Can you "find your memory" on that for us Black?

thecompany
01-23-2002, 10:38 AM
Looking at my tank right now...

"RETEST EVERY 3 YEARS PER US DOT FRP-1 & E11005"

(yes, it's a Carleton tank)

Potatoboy
01-23-2002, 10:38 AM
Copied from http://www.carltech.com/new-composite/safety_hot_topics.html

Federal law requires that E-11194 carbon fiber CFFC cylinders manufactured or retested after July 1, 2001 must be retested every 5 years.
The Department of Transportation requires E-11194 carbon fiber CFFC cylinders to be retested every 5 years to ensure safe operation. The law requires Hydrostatic Testing of E-11194 carbon fiber CFFC cylinders be performed by an authorized retester facility every 5 years. Locate the retester facility nearest you.

Federal law requires that E-11005 fiberglass FRP cylinders must be retested every
3 years.
The Department of Transportation requires E-11005 fiberglass FRP cylinders to be retested every 3 years to ensure safe operation. The law requires Hydrostatic Testing of E-11005 fiberglass FRP cylinders be performed by an authorized retester facility every 3 years. Locate the retester facility nearest you.

BlackVCG
01-23-2002, 10:40 AM
I spoke too soon. It's 3 years for the E-11005 tank used on the 3K Flatline.

However, the E-11194 used on the 4.5K Flatlines manufactured after July 1, 2001 are to be tested every five years. My 4.5K Flatline falls within those guidelines. YAY!

http://www.carltech.com/new-composite/extension.html

thecompany
01-23-2002, 10:45 AM
Anyway, you all see the point..

I paid extra at the AGD online store so that I could actually get the Flatline (backordered everywhere else?), then I get an old tank.

I'm not angry, and I don't renounce my support for AGD products. I am very sure the Flatline will last me for many years to come. But in case Tom or one of the office gals reads this... somepin to make up for it would be nice. ;)

But I'll just keep on playin' now, never to worry about it again (well, until 03/04)

cphilip
01-23-2002, 10:47 AM
Hmmmm...cphilip now rethinking his plans for a 3K... Wait on a 4.5K? Hmmmmmm....:confused:

Potatoboy
01-23-2002, 10:47 AM
There also is one other thing, not only will you have to get it tested in 03/04, after 03/16 it'll have a nice hole drilled into it.

Better get some use out of it before then. :rolleyes:

thecompany
01-23-2002, 10:54 AM
Yeah, but by then I'll be ready for my 20K Flatline! Or maybe just a new tank, since I'm sure the reg itself will still be working beautifully with original parts. :D

PsychoMag
01-23-2002, 11:39 AM
as for testing, all fiberglass and steel tanks are required every 3 years, Carbonfiber tanks are every 5 years, and the only company I know of is NitroDuck Tuffskins. Mine is a carbon Fiber tuffy 68/4500 :) no retest til 4/06 :)

Cha0tic
01-23-2002, 11:54 AM
thecompany- why don't you give the AGD office a call? you will get a much faster response from there than waiting for someone like Tom to log on to the internet.

thecompany
01-23-2002, 12:02 PM
Not exactly hunting for a response. I was at AGD recently, and I know how busy they are. I could call Tom directly, but it's not worth bugging him. But, if we ended up with some more giveaways for our site...

Ahem.. (below)

Webmaster
01-23-2002, 12:06 PM
FYI - LUXFOR is also the company that makes tanks that need testing every 5 years...

damageinc54
01-23-2002, 12:48 PM
Mine was the same. I got a Flatline with my EMag that I bought in November. It already had a year off of the Hydro date. Not much you can do about it.

thecompany
01-23-2002, 01:24 PM
AGD comes through again! They've rectified the situation for me. HORRAY for customer service! Maybe I'll chunk my 'Cocker and get a 'Mag now... well, I'll sit and think about it at least.

cphilip
01-23-2002, 01:31 PM
And so why am I not surprised? http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/thumbs.gif

damageinc54
01-23-2002, 01:39 PM
What did they do for you?

thecompany
01-23-2002, 02:27 PM
I should just say they took care of me and leave it at that. But less should never be expected from such a fine company. ;)

cphilip
01-23-2002, 02:32 PM
Well put! Nuff said.

Russ
01-23-2002, 10:40 PM
FYI...

This is from Carleton's web page. Tanks made AFTER July 2001 have a 5 year hydro.

http://www.carltech.com/new-composite/safety_hot_topics.html

Potatoboy
01-23-2002, 10:45 PM
Russ, that’s only if they are DOT Exemption 11194 (which are being used on 4.5K flatlines). Tanks made under DOT Exemption 11005 (which is all 68/3K flatlines to the best of my knowledge) are still subject to a 3 year test schedule.

Also note, no matter what the type of tank they must be retired and destroyed after 15 years of service.

ArthurDent
01-24-2002, 12:15 AM
how much does it cost to get flatline tested and a new date....the flat i just got yesterday was 05-01....

Russ
01-24-2002, 12:37 AM
PotatoBoy,

That's precisely what the Carleton link explains.

BlackVCG
01-24-2002, 01:51 AM
Russ,

Were you thinking that ALL tanks manufactured after 07-01 need to be Hydro tested every 5 years? That's what I figured you were saying with your first post, then PotatoBoy stated it's only for the DOT E-11194 tanks. I'm not sure if in your last post you were agreeing with what PotatoBoy said, or if you think that the link says ALL tanks manufactured after 07-01 get 5 year hydros.

I'm missing something here...

I do know from what I've read it only applies to the E-11194. Maybe I missed something.

Russ
01-24-2002, 08:16 AM
Guys,

I think we're all in agreement here. Sorry for the confusion. Carleton, DOT E-11194 labeled, manufactured after 7-01, carry the 5 year hydro.

My MacDev Conquest was made 3-01. Just missed!

thecompany
01-24-2002, 09:01 AM
Arthur:
Hydro testing is around $30.

AGDmagman2001
01-24-2002, 12:31 PM
Check this link for more info, tanks also (luxfer that is) have been manufactured after or on 7/01, and the DOT no, has to match, mine is 7/01 and the DOT matches, whoopee :cool:

http://www.hydrotesters.com/luxfer.pdf

rabidchihauhau
01-24-2002, 12:38 PM
Guys,

one thing to keep clear and that might help end the confusion over this bottle/re-test/new standard/exemption issue is the following:

Re-testing requirements are determined by the DOT (Federal Department of Transportation) "EXEMPTION CODE" the product is manufactured under.

The manufacturer of the product has little to nothing to do with what the hydro/testing requirements are: Carleton,Luxfor and others could all be manufacturing tanks under the same exemption codes. So don't worry about who makes it when looking for hydro info - simple concern yourself with the regulations for that particular exemption code.

All of the detail for DOT exemptions - material requirements, testing requirements, inspections, uses, etc., are available in CFR 49 (Federal regs, part 49): Much information on specific exemption codes is available at the DOT's website www.dot.gov.

Steve

cphilip
01-24-2002, 12:42 PM
That is correct sir. But the reading of it is tough if you do not read CFR's on a regular basis. But the gist of it is nothing is stopping any manuacturer from acheaving the test level required to get this exemption. They just have to go through all the right motions.

rabidchihauhau
01-25-2002, 11:20 AM
thanks for the reply.

Reading CFRs can be boring as heck - or extremely interesting when you get into the detail.

Doing so is one of my jobs here at Pro-Team Products - where we try and stay up to date not only on tech but on safety and legal issues concerning the sport as well.

I urge anyone who has a HPA system (the generic phrase for systems over 1800psi, regardless of gas, usage, etc) to check out the requirements for just a single exemption: most have no appreciation for the requirements (starting with the materials which must be used, testing and certification for those materials, the method of manufacture - even down to certain tooling which must or may not be used!) through mfg inspection, and lot testing and finally ending up with the manner in which those tanks may be used or not used, shipped, stored, and etc.

If every player who owned such a system was familiar with what a single tank goes through in its lifetime, I'm sure that most would have a much greater respect for not filling damaged or out of date tanks and there would be no arguments with having to periodically hydro!

Steve

cphilip
01-25-2002, 12:38 PM
Yes Steve! I am to am in a job that requires reading of the CFR's! In 49's case the Hazadous Materials Transportation stuff and the 40 CFR for RCRA (Hazardous Waste) stuff. A while back I spent some time trying to read the sections of 49 that delt with cylinder testing. Grueling stuff I must say. Not near as interesting as the Haz Mat Trans stuff. I still want to get back to it someday and finish researching what I was looking for but lately I have been sleeping fairly well! :D