PDA

View Full Version : Coloring sheet metal with heat?

Gunther_mag_user
08-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Hey, It's been years since I last posted, but I know this is one of the few places that I can get some real advice from.

Anyways, I am making a pedalboard and case for my guitar pedals, and I was looking to do something interesting with it. I have a sheet of metal that I was going to use for body panels and then cover it in trim.

Now I want this sucker to look classy/out of the ordinary so I was planning on taking a blowtorch and changing the color of the metal with heat. The only problem is that I have no idea if it will look good or if it will last.

So, any suggestions? I was hoping for a kind of dark rustish red. I am willing to try a few methods, but I am looking to color it on the cheap. Any advice is appreciated!

luke
08-08-2008, 04:11 PM
First off, as soon a you put a flame to your sheet metal it will warp. As far as the "coloring" goes I would say it will last until the rust takes over. ;)

Gunther_mag_user
08-08-2008, 04:23 PM
First off, as soon a you put a flame to your sheet metal it will warp. As far as the "coloring" goes I would say it will last until the rust takes over. ;)
Hmmm, that's no good. I could try to flatten it out again, but I don't want to lower the quality in the process of coloring and whatnot.

Is there anything else I could do?

(I actually posted this thread with you in mind luke, I loved your grips.)

dcent
08-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Hmmm, that's no good. I could try to flatten it out again, but I don't want to lower the quality in the process of coloring and whatnot.

Is there anything else I could do?

(I actually posted this thread with you in mind luke, I loved your grips.)

as a welder I can tell you that warpage will probably occur.
if you heat it from the back you will get a rainbow effect on the front of the metal but this is far from permanent. if you rub brilo pad of it the rainbow from heating will come off.

if you use stainless ( FAR more susceptable to warpage than mild steel ) you can get the rainbow, however if your not carefull ( you heat it up to much ) it will turn dull grey. this means your stainless is now mild steel.

you could do it but it would be temperary ( unless you clear coated it afterwords ) and you will have to clamp your metal down, heat it slowly and carefully, and heat in a pattern that helps to minimize warpage.

Gunther_mag_user
08-12-2008, 04:23 AM
as a welder I can tell you that warpage will probably occur.
if you heat it from the back you will get a rainbow effect on the front of the metal but this is far from permanent. if you rub brilo pad of it the rainbow from heating will come off.

if you use stainless ( FAR more susceptable to warpage than mild steel ) you can get the rainbow, however if your not carefull ( you heat it up to much ) it will turn dull grey. this means your stainless is now mild steel.

you could do it but it would be temperary ( unless you clear coated it afterwords ) and you will have to clamp your metal down, heat it slowly and carefully, and heat in a pattern that helps to minimize warpage.
Hmmm, so it seems heat treating will not work in my situation. What about chemical washing? I want a black/red color. I have heard about coloring metal with chemicals. Is this difficult/practical?

Thanks for the post!

Pneumagger
08-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Probably more expensive than you were looking... but titanium colors wonderfully under varying temperatures.