PDA

View Full Version : Computer Gurus Look Here!

warbeak2099
08-09-2008, 03:48 PM
So my win32 systems file is corrupted/missing. Wonderful, now my computer won't boot up. Well Dell is sending a new hard drive so that will fix the problem. However, I will commit sepuku if I lose all my pirated music, movies, pictures, and all other files. I want to know if I can simply pop the new hard drive in, and put the old one in an external hard drive enclosure like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256031

Would I be able to extract my files (obviously not programs) from the old HD and transfer it to the new one?

Also, what's a good brand of external enclosures? My HD is a 2.5" SATA style from a Dell Latitude notebook.

Thanks!

Carapace
08-09-2008, 04:06 PM
So my win32 systems file is corrupted/missing. Wonderful, now my computer won't boot up. Well Dell is sending a new hard drive so that will fix the problem. However, I will commit sepuku if I lose all my pirated music, movies, pictures, and all other files. I want to know if I can simply pop the new hard drive in, and put the old one in an external hard drive enclosure like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256031

Would I be able to extract my files (obviously not programs) from the old HD and transfer it to the new one?

Also, what's a good brand of external enclosures? My HD is a 2.5" SATA style from a Dell Latitude notebook.

Thanks!

Odds are, if it just doesn't boot up but still detects the drive, then you still got all your info on there and yes all you would need is an external enclosure, if you get an enclosure from newegg just make sure you read all the reviews on every possible candidate then make your choice, but if i were to point you in the right direction it'd either be thermaltake, vantec, rosewill... they're all good...

just out of curiosity, what is the interface on that drive? ide? sata?

EDIT: *SLAPS SELF* Didn't see the "SATA style" part :|

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000090092+1053807124+1054107131&name=SATA

Any one of those from rosewill, vantec, and crucial you'd be good w/ as far as quality is concerned... hope this helps...

spectre184
08-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Pretty good your getting a HD out of them as that error usually means a format and reinstall windows.

You have install DVD/Cd's? If what I've seen on my Inspirion 1501 is they have a hidden partion (that you dont even see thru windows explorer) that they keep image of the HD when it left factory. You have to hit like F12 during certain portion of bootup, for mine when blue bar across top and it says DELL in yellow, I think. Though problem doing it like this is you wipe all data like you mentioned.

I need an external HD to back up some pics and what not :ninja:

Good luck!

Carapace
08-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Pretty good your getting a HD out of them as that error usually means a format and reinstall windows.

You have install DVD/Cd's? If what I've seen on my Inspirion 1501 is they have a hidden partion (that you dont even see thru windows explorer) that they keep image of the HD when it left factory. You have to hit like F12 during certain portion of bootup, for mine when blue bar across top and it says DELL in yellow, I think. Though problem doing it like this is you wipe all data like you mentioned.

I need an external HD to back up some pics and what not :ninja:

Good luck!

Thats on your C: drive, The file folders you speak of are just marked as "Hidden" in the File Types/Settings menu in your windows explorer program...

But certain core .bin files and extracts are needed from an operating system disc to do a full reinstall and such, but i'm sure you knew that :) just make sure you grab your files before reformatting... and be DAMN sure it's a DOS format or you're wasting your time :P

warbeak2099
08-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Odds are, if it just doesn't boot up but still detects the drive, then you still got all your info on there and yes all you would need is an external enclosure, if you get an enclosure from newegg just make sure you read all the reviews on every possible candidate then make your choice, but if i were to point you in the right direction it'd either be thermaltake, vantec, rosewill... they're all good...

just out of curiosity, what is the interface on that drive? ide? sata?

It's a SATA. My buddy is recommending a BYTECC that he says works great. I just ordered it so hopefully this will work. I just hope that it really is a software problem with my OS and not an actual hardware problem with the HD.

Carapace
08-09-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm sure he's giving you his opinion based on his own experiences w/ that companies products... just as i am which is what you asked for isn't it? :)

Can you get into your bios menu and see if your bootup order recognizes your hard drive?

if it does, your odds are good :)

last edit, i haven't gotten an oem replacement from a packaging company in over 7+ years but last time i checked they come formatted already, so you will need an OS cd for your new drive...

spectre184
08-09-2008, 04:30 PM
It's little different than that. Even have show hidden files and in disk management doesnt show it.

I did quick search and found this: http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

When I did mine it used NOrton Ghost like one of links shows from above link.

Carapace
08-09-2008, 04:33 PM
It's little different than that. Even have show hidden files and in disk management doesnt show it.

I did quick search and found this: http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

When I did mine it used NOrton Ghost like one of links shows from above link.

Damn, they're starting to get smoothe :|

Nice find, Spectre... I'm currently on a Dell Dimension 2400 P4 533bus... it's not pretty, well over 4 years old so i'd know absolutely nothing about what you speak...

Carapace
08-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Also, isn't Norton Ghost just an overglorified ISO maker??? combines a series of .bin's or whatever filetype they use and store it in an invisible directory for later recall and / or default settings reset?

Warbeak, can you take a look at the bios of your computer w/ the corrupted drive connected?

See if it's recognizing...?

kosmo
08-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Im reporting you to the RIAA.

Carapace
08-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Im reporting you to the RIAA.

LOL, someones got too much time on their hands :P

Hexis
08-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Probably not the best idea to admit that you are looking to get pirated content back, but whatever.

Remember for the future: backup in your friend. Use that external enclosure to keep a fairly recent backup of your important data. Hard Drives fail, and with how large they are these days, when they do you can loose a ton of important data.

skife
08-09-2008, 11:48 PM
listened to the trolls and deleted system32 folder didn't you?

MoeMag
08-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Yeah.

if you have a spare bay, just plug it in there.

ThePixelGuru
08-10-2008, 02:48 PM
You shouldn't even need a new HDD. If Windows is corrupted you should be able to just reinstall without losing any data beaides your system files. Regardless, you should still be able to boot from a CD - then it's just a matter of borrowing some HDD space from a friend and transferring your data over a network.

Then get Mac. ;)

But yeah, another enclosure should work, too. Most likely all your data is there, it sounds like Windows is the only messed up thing on your drive.

jenarelJAM
08-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Call microsoft. Ask for an "anytime upgrade DVD". It's essentially an install disk, and if you have the license for windows, you can just use the disk to repair (or reinstall, if you want) windows, fixing the damaged (or missing) system files.

The disk is free. I think it costs shipping, but that might be free too.