PDA

View Full Version : In the process of acquiring a preowned tacone, what to check for?

DaConfusion
08-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Hey guys I had the opportunity for a good deal on a tacone which prevented me from buying a new one instead.

I was wondering what are the areas of significant wear that I need to check for?

Also, I wanted to get an apex tip and a barrel. What are your suggestions/corresponding paint suggestions? (what barrel do you recommend?)

I plan on ordering a new guerrilla air 68/4500 tank, wanted to get those other parts as well.

Thank you!

mr doo doo
08-12-2008, 12:47 AM
I plan on ordering a new guerrilla air 68/4500 tank, wanted to get those other parts as well.

with the myth reg? if so, make sure you get the HP spring for it since you need at least 850 psi for the mag to shoot.

Spider-TW
08-12-2008, 07:58 AM
If you don't know who or how it was taken care of, I would plan to take it apart and clean it very soon after you get it. Oil it, air it up and play with it a little when you get it, but start thinking about pulling it apart and cleaning it up. If it has been in an attic or trunk of a car for a while, the seals will need to be replaced with an X-valve parts kit.

Just because you can wash them in a tub of water doesn't mean that is all you should ever do to them. ;) You see some good stories on AO with used markers, but they always come up shooting.

DaConfusion
08-12-2008, 04:31 PM
http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=458&categoryID=23

So that is the kit I will need, which contains all the parts designed to wear and tear?

Any suggestions on the barrel?

I will be purchasing the tank with a high pressure spring.

Thanks!

RangerX
08-12-2008, 10:23 PM
if its a newer tac one i wouldnt imagine there would be too much wrong with it. Does it come with a barrel?

I personally like my deadly wind 16" carbon fibre and you can get freak inserts for it if you choose too

Spider-TW
08-13-2008, 08:45 AM
That is the kit. If you think the marker is pretty new and you are not planning on using it immediately as your only marker, you could hold off on buying the kit. Age is right behind bad oil and heat for killing seals, so keeping a kit on the shelf for years isn't much help.

It's hard to tell what condition a used marker is really in with just computer pictures. Personally, I haven't been real lucky on marker condition in three different 'ready to play' purchases (they could have been worse!). All of them turned out great when I finished with them.

My first used purchase was a "tournament ready" classic mag with a loader and bottle. I didn't expect a "tournament" mag, but it wouldn't have finished the first day of rec play. The loader neck cracked, the loader battery door was broken, the on/off knob was missing, the safety was rusted tight, the reg seat was old and hard and the valve had sand in it. On the good side, the bottle was a crossfire still in hydro for a year and the marker made a nice pneumag. In the end it was still a fair deal, just not quite what I expected. :rolleyes:

DaConfusion
08-13-2008, 12:25 PM
lol way to turn a frown upside down.

I see you are in Houston, TX! I think #1 paintball (Used to be PaintballUSA when I used to play 4 years ago) has a onsite repair station.

I will get delivery of my marker this Monday, and I have only one shot to play with it (Aug 23).

If the marker has no immediate problems, I can see myself buying that seal kit and inducing a problem before using it.

As for the barrel, it does come with a stock barrel, but I would like to get something where I can swap inserts for. What paint works best with the stock barrel? If I do get a "freak" kit, what paint do you guys recommend that isnt too expensive or cheap quality?

Also, there are hundreds of paintball retailers online, what is one that is reputable, and carries the barrels you guys mentioned?

Thank you so much for the help!

DaConfusion
08-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Also, for the autococker freak kit, does it come with the autococker back? I would assume since they are specific to autococker, but one website doesnt make mention of it.

Also, does Smart Parts offer their freak kits in all black? I do not prefer the colors.

EDIT: Ohhh! I get it now, you can slap those inserts into a 2 piece barrel system.

Back to wondering which is the best retailer to buy from...

Spider-TW
08-13-2008, 01:54 PM
lol way to turn a frown upside down.

I see you are in Houston, TX! I think #1 paintball (Used to be PaintballUSA when I used to play 4 years ago) has a onsite repair station.
On a Saturday at the Grant Road park, either of the "Bobby G.s" or Animal can help you for sure, maybe some others. I'm on the same scenario team as some of the younger techs and they are not very familiar with mags.

For sure when you get it, put 3 or 4 drops of good marker oil (synthetic unless you know it works well in mags) in the ASA and shoot it through without the barrel on (about 15-20 shots?).

I have an (old) empire barrel kit, but I'm not completely convinced on it yet. The best day I ever had was when I got a case of marbalizer that matched my old crown point barrel. That case went down so fast I decided to change markers. It was too much fun flinging strings of paint to and from the second story of the castle. :shooting:

DaConfusion
08-13-2008, 02:14 PM
For the Freak Barrel kit, when the tactical front say 16", does that length include the back housing or just the front attachment?

ThePixelGuru
08-13-2008, 03:02 PM
For the Freak Barrel kit, when the tactical front say 16", does that length include the back housing or just the front attachment?
Usually the length of a barrel tip means how long the entire barrel will be once you stick the tip on the back.

Spider-TW
08-13-2008, 03:03 PM
I would expect that is just the front. I would ask the vendor. You have to be careful, they still make some silly long barrels. I wanted a different empire barrel with an 8" tip, settled for a 12" tip on sale, and was sent a different 12" tip and a 14" tip to make up for it. I think the back is 6 inches plus the cocker threads. I'm saving the 14" tip for a medieval scenario so I can hang a flag from it (and shoot further). :rolleyes:

DaConfusion
08-13-2008, 04:03 PM
I ended up ordering from Action Village.

They only knew what the description says. I am going with an ASSumption and saying that 16" is after attaching to the back since the more popular All American barrels have 14" and etc, you dont see 6 or 8 inch barrels which leads to the possibility that it is the overall size.

I find it annoying that most of the paintball products have lacking descriptions and detail information since they assume only enthusiasts (hardcore) buy them. I still have very little idea of what my TacOne has to offer.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of a TacOne disassembly manual? I didnt see one for it on agd's website.

DaConfusion
08-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Turns out it really is 16" after the rear is attached. The barrel sticks out just a little past the qloader, so a perfect fit.

I just got the marker today...The qbow shroud had one of the holes for the stock smashed in, I was able to pry it enough to let the little sliding head back in.

Does anyone know if specops offers a refurbishing service? The metal seems very ductile and low quality for a 300$ kit... Also it has 2 screws missing from the shroud, but I think 4 should hold it fine, I probably will loctite them down before the game.

I went ahead and ordered the repair kit, just in case a seal ruptures. I wont be able to test until I get my N2 tank, which I hope will be this Friday. (A day before the game)

I am very unfamiliar with AGD markers, I still can not locate a disassembly manual. Also how do I identify the ULT trigger? It is supposed to have one, but I dont know the difference.

Also does the trigger stay responsive only when subjected to air? Whenever I take the safety off, the trigger is limp and has no spring.

Ruler_Mark
08-19-2008, 12:21 AM
you might want to tear her down and go over her with a good baby wipe.

I have found paint in the oddest locations.

DaConfusion
08-19-2008, 06:15 AM
I would like to, but I would feel more comfortable with a take down diagram. I see one for the valve on AGD's website. But wheres everything else?