PDA

View Full Version : patents

Hilltop Customs
08-14-2008, 07:18 PM
ok so ive been thinking about building a new marker design, and maybe marketing it late spring or summer depending on how the prototype works out. I'm just wondering what kind of troubles I can expect with patents...It's definitely going to be 100% electronics free, I dont want to have any chance of being forced to give any profits to smart parts.

I know G-force has a patent on pneumatic triggers.....but wtf is a pneumatic trigger? Every paintball marker's trigger effectively initiates a pneumatic valve which releases gas and fires the paintball. Is their patent for aftermarket frames which use pneumatic pressure to activate a markers firing mechanism? because that would make more sense

I know I'm going to have to talk to a patent attorney sometime here, but I thought I would ask you guys for some ideas on what I'm might have to deal with.

going_home
08-14-2008, 07:41 PM
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/member-only-chat/44150-patenting.html

Some pretty interesting stuff there if you are an MCB premium member .

;)

Hilltop Customs
08-14-2008, 08:17 PM
thanks, I just signed up for MCB, next time I have money in paypal I'll have to check out whats hidden in the private areas :cool:

y0da900
08-15-2008, 06:37 AM
http://haveblue.org/tech/patents/index.html

Haveblue has a pretty nice repository going of existing patents. There are a number of systems that far outdate the G-force patent, both patented and prior art.

Hilltop Customs
08-16-2008, 05:14 PM
yea ive been slowly making my way through a lot of the patents listed on Haveblue.....there are a lot of patents for funny stuff listed throughout there too.

luke
08-16-2008, 05:35 PM
I know G-force has a patent on pneumatic triggers.....but wtf is a pneumatic trigger? Every paintball marker's trigger effectively initiates a pneumatic valve which releases gas and fires the paintball. Is their patent for aftermarket frames which use pneumatic pressure to activate a markers firing mechanism? because that would make more sense

Yea, don't forget that Pro Team and Deadlywind also have patents on the same idea. I'm not sure how G-force pulled this off..

As far as patenting your idea, a Patent don't mean squat if you do not have the money to defend it in court. Perhaps that is what G-Force gambled on.. (?)

Ruler_Mark
08-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Yea, don't forget that Pro Team and Deadlywind also have patents on the same idea. I'm not sure how G-force pulled this off..

As far as patenting your idea, a Patent don't mean squat if you do not have the money to defend it in court. Perhaps that is what G-Force gambled on.. (?)

I thought g-force beat them out on to getting the patent no?

luke
08-16-2008, 08:33 PM
I thought g-force beat them out on to getting the patent no?

Where did you hear this?

All I was told by G-Force (In a PM) was that he would not talk about it in "public", but he never elaberated any further other than the fact that he had a patent. I have not seen PTP or Deadlywind take a stand on the subject.

punkncat
08-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Where did you hear this?

All I was told by G-Force (In a PM) was that he would not talk about it in "public", but he never elaberated any further other than the fact that he had a patent. I have not seen PTP or Deadlywind take a stand on the subject.

There was a thread that I started concerning this issue. I am not going to drag it all back out (per se), but Rabid did speak about his take on the situation. He did point out that it was his conjecture and not an "official" position from PTP. He hinted that there would be some action taken to defend their position, and very possibly why Garf will not come out to speak about it.

luke
08-16-2008, 08:56 PM
I remember some of that, but here we are with G-forces frame on the market. (Glad to see it)

Can you provide a link to that thread, I'm not sure how close I followed it at the time, it may be interesting to revisit it now. :D

Hilltop Customs
08-16-2008, 11:33 PM
which came first g-force patent or someone making public that they had a pneumag? Because as we all can see there is no difference between the 2 other than an extension of the sear actuating arm, so a diy-pneu should be prior art right?

Luke, I dont plan on patenting this marker(or anything about it), I just want to protect my butt from money hungry attorneys.

y0da900
08-17-2008, 08:50 PM
which came first g-force patent or someone making public that they had a pneumag? Because as we all can see there is no difference between the 2 other than an extension of the sear actuating arm, so a diy-pneu should be prior art right?

Luke, I dont plan on patenting this marker(or anything about it), I just want to protect my *** from money hungry attorneys.

And there lies a lot of what has gotten peoples pantys in a bunch about things. Punisher had a working pneumag using a cocker 4-way valve and some form of a cylinder back in 1993 or 1994.

The G-Force patent pre-dates the hAir patent, and the PTP predates that. The hAir is a pretty specific design, the PTP patent seems to be overly broad in what it tries to cover, and I have read the G-force patent (the version for the 68 Super, I'm not aware of another gun patent of theirs but it doesn't mean it isn't out there) and fail to see much of any pertinence in it.