PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Age. News.

maxama10
08-20-2008, 02:01 AM
So as many of you heard or saw I'm assuming, educators from college campuses across the country want the legal age brought down. They say it will prevent binge drinking that is so prevalent in schools.

I tend to agree, I spent a while in europe and it is more often than not acceptable to have drinks at a very young age. This is also how I was raised, they did it so that when I was presented with large amounts of alcohol while on my own (as they knew I would), I would able to reason. I think most of you probably feel the same way.

Drunk driving seems to be a completely different thing over there, I got the feeling that it was NOT ACCEPTABLE in any way. Drunk driving rates seem to be lower. However, most teenagers also don't drive in comparison to their American counterparts.

I know lots of kids here who think it is fine to drive around buzzed.

What is it?

What do you think of the age?

trevorjk
08-20-2008, 02:33 AM
Die, Vote, Smoke. why not drink?

maxama10
08-20-2008, 03:42 AM
does seem a bit hypocritical doesn't it?

bornl33t
08-20-2008, 05:01 AM
I just wish we could agree on the same solution to the gun problem. Add more guns to the problem and less people would die right?

Our government was not created to limit drinking, smoking, firearms etc. Mind you I agree that drinking and driving should be strictly regulated but it's not the governments place to place limits on these issues other wise. Even more so I dislike our movements solution to helping people who have lung cancer -because of smoking-, liver disease -because of drinking- and title 19 -because of stupidity-.... get my drift?
btw I do not drink or smoke...the stupid is still under investigation but I'm not on title 19 either so....

neppo1345
08-20-2008, 07:27 AM
I think the immediate consequences would make them regret their decision.

In the short term, binge drinking will increase, especially with alcohol being legally available to high Schoolers.

However, if the country was able to accept the short term problems the long term pay-off would be worth it.

maxama10
08-20-2008, 07:42 AM
hmm, good point, interesting.

hadn't thought of that I suppose

sffudapparel
08-20-2008, 08:22 AM
A lot of people in high school drank because it was illegal and thus cool.

I would love to debate this issue with someone (a politician) but I highly doubt it'll be changed. IMO it's kinda like the speed limit - not many people really obey it anyway and most police are lenient on enforcing it. No one has ever gotten arrested for underage consumption at any party I've ever been at where the police show up. (including myself, just an open container ticket) Drinking is more of a cool thing when you're young rather than a social beverage like it is in northern Europe

I'd like to see stricter enforcement of drunk driving. That is what truly makes alcohol dangerous to themselves and others.

Hilltop Customs
08-20-2008, 08:59 AM
theres too much funding gained by fines and forcing underage drinkiners through programs to reduce the drinking age. When I got my underage it ended up costing me slightly over $500. Now multiply that by 20 because thats how many other underage kids were also busted with me, and you will see what I'm talking about. $10,000 from 1 little party, how many underage parties do you think they bust a week on a college campus?

All in all, the law doesnt mean crap in preventing underage drinking, its just a way to make money off people who do it when they get caught.

JesseB
08-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Alot more people drink in high school to get drunk than to be cool.

Although it is pretty dang cool to get drunk.

a lower drinking age should come after sensible marijuana laws and drug law reform in general. it should be one fail swoop so that Alcohol related deaths and accidents skyrocket and show the complete negativity of that drug as compared to pot or psychadelics.

Addictive stuff like crack, coke, meth, heroin, pcp, other dangerous type stuff is not cool but LSD, mescaline, and pot are all relatively neutral on the health and long term effects and it should be your choice as a free human being to experience these things in moderation.

Hilltop Customs
08-20-2008, 11:01 AM
JesseB you forgot one of the most abused drugs in the US....prescriptions.

SCpoloRicker
08-20-2008, 11:16 AM
loleurolosers

/why yes, I do tend to agree

VVulfe
08-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Die, Vote, Smoke. why not drink?

This sums up where I stand on the issue.

MikeRosenthal
08-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Alot more people drink in high school to get drunk than to be cool.

Although it is pretty dang cool to get drunk.

a lower drinking age should come after sensible marijuana laws and drug law reform in general. it should be one fail swoop so that Alcohol related deaths and accidents skyrocket and show the complete negativity of that drug as compared to pot or psychadelics.

Addictive stuff like crack, coke, meth, heroin, pcp, other dangerous type stuff is not cool but LSD, mescaline, and pot are all relatively neutral on the health and long term effects and it should be your choice as a free human being to experience these things in moderation.

I agree with most of your post. I can't agree with LSD however. Shrooms yes. LSD no. It definately can F' you up. ANd the difference between a small dose and a huge dose is rather hard to quantify until you take it. (Unless you have access to PURE LSD.. which is even more insane...)

VVulfe
08-20-2008, 12:22 PM
I agree with most of your post. I can't agree with LSD however. Shrooms yes. LSD no. It definately can F' you up. ANd the difference between a small dose and a huge dose is rather hard to quantify until you take it. (Unless you have access to PURE LSD.. which is even more insane...)

There's an interesting argument I've heard for the legalization (with standard age restrictions, and DUI laws) of any drug that doesn't require synthesizing. So marijuana, shrooms, etc would be legal, but heroin, LSD and the like wouldn't.

I'm not necessarily a supporter, but I think it's an interesting concept.

Lohman446
08-20-2008, 02:28 PM
but LSD, mescaline, and pot are all relatively neutral on the health and long term effects and it should be your choice as a free human being to experience these things in moderation.

:rofl: I agree that government should have no business involved in these but I hope you don't honestly beleive they are "neutral" in regards to health.

maxama10
08-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Well, I was watching a documentary.. called the last white hope or some crap.

Was a pro drug one, against the drug war, saying how the CIA used to import coke and what not.

The thing that really had me was when they talked about the laws in amsterdam. Heroin isn't legal but if you're addicted you can go to a free gov't clinic and get CLEAN heroin from the gov't.

Sounds like an awesome use of money to me.

That is definitely something I would not EVER want.

cdacda13
08-20-2008, 04:06 PM
As a soon to be College freshman and a 19 year old, I believe lowering the drinking age will change the reputation of alcohol, over time. In the short time, you won't see a change in drinking related deaths. Either I live in an area where the teenagers are smart with their alcohol consummation, or the whole "Teenagers make terrible decisions where drinking" is overblown. My experiences with alcohol is not teenagers don't want to get caught with alcohol, mostly by cops. Most parents know that their child drinks, understand that, and while some worry, most parents believe that they have taught their children well enough.

maxama10
08-20-2008, 04:07 PM
and it should be your choice as a free human being to experience these things in moderation.

Maybe. Then again most people are retarded and can't control themselves. So... where to draw the line?

how about with alcohol :D

cdacda13
08-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Story for those who want to read it (http://www.nysun.com/national/college-presidents-want-lower-drinking-age/84123/)

maxama10
08-20-2008, 04:12 PM
thanks, guess I should have posted one originally. :)

ThePixelGuru
08-20-2008, 11:00 PM
The drinking age is 21. 18 year olds want to drink. If you make the drinking age 18, 16 year olds will want to drink.

The solution is to remove the limit and have parents actually teach their kids some damn responsibility. Too bad you can't legislate parental responsibility. :rolleyes:

pmstc
08-20-2008, 11:21 PM
The drinking age is 21. 18 year olds want to drink. If you make the drinking age 18, 16 year olds will want to drink.

The solution is to remove the limit and have parents actually teach their kids some damn responsibility. Too bad you can't legislate parental responsibility. :rolleyes:
qft.

edit: for the record, 16 year olds want to drink.

ThePixelGuru
08-20-2008, 11:25 PM
qft.

edit: for the record, 16 year olds want to drink.
Fair enough, I should have said more 16 year olds. ;)

Nick E
08-20-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm going for parental responsibility. They have it in Europe. Why can't more parents do it here? I know just this weekend, I went to a party, engaged in quite a lot of drinking. I sure as hell wasn't driving anywhere though. In addition to that, the parent that was there took everybody's keys to make sure they didn't leave. Which is good, but shouldn't be necessary I think.

pmstc
08-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Fair enough, I should have said more 18 ? year olds. ;)
I don't know. Most people that I know that drink at 18 were drinking at 16 as well. I personally didn't drink until I was 18, but that had nothing to do with the law (well... obviously... since it's still illegal for me to drink).

It had more to do with personal morals and not wanting to destroy my liver before it even got a chance to finish developing..

I don't think it would be any easier for a 16 year old to obtain alcohol if the drinking age was 18 than it would be for them at 21.

behemoth
08-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Yeah it would.

16 and 18yr old are mixed in highschools.

I know at 16, i knew enough 21yr olds, but a hell of a lot more 18yr olds.

mr.mag218
08-21-2008, 01:16 PM
i have 2 mip's (minor in posession) that i've served a year of probation and paid well over 1500 for. i don't think a DUI even cost this much. not to mention the 4 classes i've had to go to. i'd love to see the drinkin age braught down to 18. im re-enlisting for the air force as soon as im off probation, so if i can fight for my country i should be able to get drunk in it right? :cheers:

Lohman446
08-21-2008, 01:21 PM
i have 2 mip's (minor in posession) that i've served a year of probation and paid well over 1500 for. i don't think a DUI even cost this much. not to mention the 4 classes i've had to go to. i'd love to see the drinkin age braught down to 18. im re-enlisting for the air force as soon as im off probation, so if i can fight for my country i should be able to get drunk in it right? :cheers:

If the goal of drinking is to get drunk you are not helping the argument that 18 year olds are responsible (then again, there are a lot of far older who are not).

And DUI, by the time you are done, are way over $1500 I am sure - though not from personal experience.

behemoth
08-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Not from first had experience, but good buddy of mine is already way past 1500

Plus jail time, plus court costs, plus re-instatement fees and high risk insurance, and generalyl straightening your life out.

Avianrave
08-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Now what kind of government actually puts a policy that makes sense?

What would be a great policy, would be to actually hand out alcohol to college kids on a weekly basis. Make it enough to get drunk, but not a lot. People who don't drink can sell it or trade it to the people who wish to drink more. That would provide some incentive for some kids not to drink, because then they get a constant stream of money.Those who wish to drink moderately do so with little expense, so they don't end up spending more money then they want to on alcohol. Then you have your heavy drinkers, who will pay a little less then what they normally do.

robnix
08-21-2008, 04:12 PM
So as many of you heard or saw I'm assuming, educators from college campuses across the country want the legal age brought down. They say it will prevent binge drinking that is so prevalent in schools.

I tend to agree, I spent a while in europe and it is more often than not acceptable to have drinks at a very young age. This is also how I was raised, they did it so that when I was presented with large amounts of alcohol while on my own (as they knew I would), I would able to reason. I think most of you probably feel the same way.

Drunk driving seems to be a completely different thing over there, I got the feeling that it was NOT ACCEPTABLE in any way. Drunk driving rates seem to be lower. However, most teenagers also don't drive in comparison to their American counterparts.

I know lots of kids here who think it is fine to drive around buzzed.

What is it?

What do you think of the age?
It'll never work. In a nutshell, the culture of eating and drinking in the United States simply isn't designed around eating and drinking in a responsible manner. Read this:

http://www.michaelpollan.com/indefense.php

you'll understand what I mean.

maxama10
08-21-2008, 07:25 PM
well as interesting as that looks, gotta pay for it to read it...

SithSteve
08-21-2008, 08:32 PM
I can't stand most 21 year-olds in bars... let alone 18 year-olds.

robnix
08-21-2008, 08:44 PM
well as interesting as that looks, gotta pay for it to read it...
Try the library.

Lohman446
08-22-2008, 05:22 AM
Now what kind of government actually puts a policy that makes sense?

What would be a great policy, would be to actually hand out alcohol to college kids on a weekly basis. Make it enough to get drunk, but not a lot. People who don't drink can sell it or trade it to the people who wish to drink more. That would provide some incentive for some kids not to drink, because then they get a constant stream of money.Those who wish to drink moderately do so with little expense, so they don't end up spending more money then they want to on alcohol. Then you have your heavy drinkers, who will pay a little less then what they normally do.

Yeah for more government hand outs rather than responsible people earning / buying things for themselves :rolleyes:

mr.mag218
08-24-2008, 08:54 PM
If the goal of drinking is to get drunk you are not helping the argument that 18 year olds are responsible (then again, there are a lot of far older who are not).

And DUI, by the time you are done, are way over $1500 I am sure - though not from personal experience.
i blew a .06 and .04 on them. legally i could have been driving a car had i been 21 :ninja:

Lohman446
08-25-2008, 05:40 AM
i blew a .06 and .04 on them. legally i could have been driving a car had i been 21 :ninja:

Whats the point?

JesseB
08-25-2008, 10:22 AM
:rofl: I agree that government should have no business involved in these but I hope you don't honestly beleive they are "neutral" in regards to health.

Pot would be the main health issue there if it is smoked and not eaten since it contains carcinogens (sp?) mescal, and lsd have no known health risks aside from mental stress which could cause someone to endanger their health. But that's a weak mind and should be chalked up to natural selection.

Alcohol is far worse for your body and mind in my personal experience.

Lohman446
08-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Pot would be the main health issue there if it is smoked and not eaten since it contains carcinogens (sp?) mescal, and lsd have no known health risks aside from mental stress which could cause someone to endanger their health. But that's a weak mind and should be chalked up to natural selection.

Alcohol is far worse for your body and mind in my personal experience.

LSD? One of the very few drugs that show indications of actually causing structural changes in DNA?

JesseB
08-25-2008, 10:40 AM
JesseB you forgot one of the most abused drugs in the US....prescriptions.

Yeah i know a few people with barbituate and xanax addictions who have never had a prescription in their lives. They throw away their whole consciousness for days at a time. It's a sad situation and if you are ever close to a person who is addicted to prescriptions please urge them to get help and if they do not then the best thing to do is to cut ties with them or if that's not an option then get them help against their will.

Drugs can be a two sided coin and there is always a line. Be sure that you know your limitations when experimenting and always know which doors not to open. I'm not advocating drug use but I'm saying if you make the choice then do some research and know your body and what you are putting into it and be prepared for the consequences because everything you do will have repurcussions either socially, mentally, physically, or legally.

Sensible drug policy would exist in a true democracy since 75% of the prison population is drug cases.

JesseB
08-25-2008, 10:40 AM
LSD? One of the very few drugs that show indications of actually causing structural changes in DNA?

Source?

I googled LSD and DNA and all it said was the double helix structure of DNA was discovered while Crick was high on LSD...

I saw a shady looking website that was talking about questionable reports of embryotic chromosomes being altered by LSD. Link your source I'm interested in changing my view if there is a legitimate risk there... I would assume if there was then the late 60's would have spawned a whole generation of f'd up flipper babies though.

Lohman446
08-25-2008, 10:54 AM
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/lsd/grofchro.htm

I googled it before my post just to be certain I was not misremembering. The idea is a pretty widely held in academic circles at least, enough so that I was exposed to the concept and the beleif.

JesseB
08-25-2008, 11:59 AM
They used five concentrations ranging from 0.001 to 10.0 micrograms of LSD per cubic centimeter (cc), and the time of exposure was 4, 24, and 48 hours

a normal dose of LSD for a human is 1-2.5 micrograms. They were soaking a cubic centimeter of white bloodcells in different levels of LSD. Apparently .001 micrograms per cc caused no mutation so unless you only had 1 cc of blood in your body then I guess you would be ok.

That study is kinda long and the first paragraph says that for every dissertation that says LSD causes mutation there is another that disproves it. So I dunno I'm gonna wait until someone has a major birth defect from LSD (like cocaine, meth, heroin, and prescription users have all the time)

maxama10
08-25-2008, 01:45 PM
dude stop. LSD is not alcohol

out of my thread please

please.

JesseB
08-25-2008, 02:27 PM
dude stop. LSD is not alcohol

out of my thread please

please.

cry more. we we're having a discussion you don't run this forum you don't get to say what we can talk about or where. We are on topic it's just a segway. Is it really that important that only alcohol is discussed? I am making a point that there are synthetic and natural drugs that are safer but more harshly regulated than Alcohol. Quit being a thread Nazi.

Alcohol regulation is fine the way it is. Some places should have shorter hours in which you can purchase it. Hell you should have to take an alcohol awareness class before you are able to drink in public. There are more irresponsible Alcohol users under age and legal age than there should be but that is the nature of the drug itself.

Alcohol is too addictive, and impairing for most people to consume responsibly 13.8 million americans cant be wrong! Plus if you get started ewarlier in the developmental stages of your life then you have higher risk for dependancy and kidney/liver disease. It's a bad idea and anyone who would lobby for this is commiting political suicide. There is no room for a bunch of irresponsible teens to be drinking there are already more irresponsible adults than there should be.

In conclusion drug policy reform > alcohol reform.

mr.mag218
08-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Whats the point?
point being that i was not drinking to get drunk, and was caught walking home from a friends house in one of the instinces. and the arguement here is that im being treated as a minor just so the charges may stick. if i were caught with say pot in my pocket, and i was sober they'd charge me as an adult then wouldn't they? if i assaulted someone at the age of 17 id be charged as an adult. i think its rediculous that im charged as a minor in this offense.

Lohman446
08-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Officer stopped you and gave you a breathalyzer for absolutely no reason I'm sure?

JesseB
08-25-2008, 03:16 PM
point being that i was not drinking to get drunk, and was caught walking home from a friends house in one of the instinces. and the arguement here is that im being treated as a minor just so the charges may stick. if i were caught with say pot in my pocket, and i was sober they'd charge me as an adult then wouldn't they? if i assaulted someone at the age of 17 id be charged as an adult. i think its rediculous that im charged as a minor in this offense.

Since you were 17 and served probation you were likely tryed as an adult even though the offense is "Minor in possession/consumption"

Look at criminalsearch.com for your name and city and see if you show up.
It also depends on your state's definition of a minor for non-violent offenses.
Trust me you don't want black marks in your record it could cost you a good job one day.

ThePixelGuru
08-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah i know a few people with barbituate and xanax addictions who have never had a prescription in their lives. They throw away their whole consciousness for days at a time. It's a sad situation and if you are ever close to a person who is addicted to prescriptions please urge them to get help and if they do not then the best thing to do is to cut ties with them or if that's not an option then get them help against their will.
I agree that people addicted to any substance need help, but it should never be "against their will." That kind of statement makes you the same as everyone who wants to ban pot so people don't smoke "for their own good." People decide their own good, and when people close to you get it wrong you have an obligation to try your absolute best to help them - but if they refuse help, there's not much you can (or should) do.

Either you let people choose what they put in their own bodies, or you ban every bad substance from acid to trans fat. Anything else is hypocritical.

maxama10
08-25-2008, 04:59 PM
cry more. we we're having a discussion you don't run this forum you don't get to say what we can talk about or where. We are on topic it's just a segway. Is it really that important that only alcohol is discussed? I am making a point that there are synthetic and natural drugs that are safer but more harshly regulated than Alcohol. Quit being a thread Nazi.

Alcohol regulation is fine the way it is. Some places should have shorter hours in which you can purchase it. Hell you should have to take an alcohol awareness class before you are able to drink in public. There are more irresponsible Alcohol users under age and legal age than there should be but that is the nature of the drug itself.

Alcohol is too addictive, and impairing for most people to consume responsibly 13.8 million americans cant be wrong! Plus if you get started ewarlier in the developmental stages of your life then you have higher risk for dependancy and kidney/liver disease. It's a bad idea and anyone who would lobby for this is commiting political suicide. There is no room for a bunch of irresponsible teens to be drinking there are already more irresponsible adults than there should be.

In conclusion drug policy reform > alcohol reform.

meh

cry less

drug reform won't happen

however Alcohol may, so thats what this is about

PyRo
08-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Around here a .04 earns you a DWI.

When the drinking age was 18 their were just as many parties and just as much drinking going on as their is today. Raising the drinking age did not affect peoples drinking on a large scale nor will lowering if affect drinking on a large scale. If you want to argue for lowering the drinking age argue that raising it has been ineffective in its goals and the law should be repealed.

robnix
08-25-2008, 06:02 PM
meh

cry less

drug reform won't happen

however Alcohol may, so thats what this is about
This isn't about alcohol reform. It's about Universities avoiding liability by making something legal.

maxama10
08-25-2008, 09:07 PM
This isn't about alcohol reform. It's about Universities avoiding liability by making something legal.

Well works for me. :)

JesseB
08-25-2008, 11:23 PM
I agree that people addicted to any substance need help, but it should never be "against their will." That kind of statement makes you the same as everyone who wants to ban pot so people don't smoke "for their own good." People decide their own good, and when people close to you get it wrong you have an obligation to try your absolute best to help them - but if they refuse help, there's not much you can (or should) do.

Either you let people choose what they put in their own bodies, or you ban every bad substance from acid to trans fat. Anything else is hypocritical.

I meant like an intervention situation. Like introduce them to a therapist and tell them they need their help or else they will be on their own with just their addiction.

Not like beat the tar out of them and tie them up... I guess I should have said that... it sounded right in my head.

JesseB
08-25-2008, 11:24 PM

You hit the nail on the head. There is nothing responsible about this proposed legislation.

It will still never happen though.

Avianrave
08-26-2008, 10:21 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's worse then being in your spinal cord.

As for 18 year olds being in bars, that would be up for the bar owners to decide. Or they could give membership cards to "regulars," and jack up the prices for the non regulars. Then they could distribute membership to how they see fit.

mr.mag218
08-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Officer stopped you and gave you a breathalyzer for absolutely no reason I'm sure?
he actually stopped me cuz i was smoking a blunt while stumbling home. of course i tried to beat the crap out of him and run, but was too wasted at .04 to get away. sorry for making a point judge lohman :tard:

Lohman446
08-27-2008, 06:57 AM
he actually stopped me cuz i was smoking a blunt while stumbling home. of course i tried to beat the crap out of him and run, but was too wasted at .04 to get away. sorry for making a point judge lohman :tard:

I am going to assume by that you have nothing to actually add to the debate and your observation was intended to seek pity for the results of your own poor decisions and actions - not the actions portrayed in saracasm here but the obviously poor decisions and actions that led to your problems

Unfortunately it also speaks to an entire lack of personal responsibility for ones own actions that seems to be prevelant in US society and is the reason you will not see drug or alchohol reform.

I was reading a book by David Sedaris the other day. He observed that the rest of the world must think we are idiots when they visit us. Sign on a brass statue: "Brass gets hot when in sun all day". Sign on moving sidewalk: "Moving sidewalk ends" and so on

They speak to the same point. A problem prevelant in American culture. The inability to say "I did something stupid, my fault" and a need to place the blame somewhere else. Personally I think it points towards narcissistic tendencies or pure stupidity. I'm not sure which is worse.

Of course people with such tendencies are not likely to find themselves with more freedoms and personal decisions to make. Apparently they, and by that I speak of we, American society as a whole, cannot be trusted with such.

Empyreal Rogue
08-27-2008, 09:46 AM
You can't really compare the drinking age of the united states to the drinking age of europe because of two big words: time and culture.

Europe has had their drinking age at 18 for a long, long time; here in the united states it has been 21 for just as long. Suddenly reducing it to 18 won't fix a thing.

The european culture also caters to the drinking age being 18, and the united states' culture caters to a lot of underage binge drinking and general underage alcohol abuse.

JesseB
08-27-2008, 10:07 AM
I am going to assume by that you have nothing to actually add to the debate and your observation was intended to seek pity for the results of your own poor decisions and actions - not the actions portrayed in saracasm here but the obviously poor decisions and actions that led to your problems

Unfortunately it also speaks to an entire lack of personal responsibility for ones own actions that seems to be prevelant in US society and is the reason you will not see drug or alchohol reform.

I was reading a book by David Sedaris the other day. He observed that the rest of the world must think we are idiots when they visit us. Sign on a brass statue: "Brass gets hot when in sun all day". Sign on moving sidewalk: "Moving sidewalk ends" and so on

They speak to the same point. A problem prevelant in American culture. The inability to say "I did something stupid, my fault" and a need to place the blame somewhere else. Personally I think it points towards narcissistic tendencies or pure stupidity. I'm not sure which is worse.

Of course people with such tendencies are not likely to find themselves with more freedoms and personal decisions to make. Apparently they, and by that I speak of we, American society as a whole, cannot be trusted with such.

I think he pretty much admitted to being stupid when he told the story. It wasn't like he was looking for pity to me.... Hell he even expresssed that he thought he should have got in more trouble and that even at .04 BAC he was too impaired to function properly.

Give the kid a break he paid his dues and he admits he was wrong. I've done stupider stuff and I'm in way more trouble for it but I don't feel I was wrong.

I feel that the beuraucracy is wrong and I don't think the laws reflect the view of society as a whole due to other restraints and lack of public knowledge and participation. It's a shame that such a small percentage of legal residents are registered to vote, and of those registered not all of them vote, and there is only a small cross section of people that vote that actually know anything about the issues. Our system is flawed it is run by a vocal minority and some sheeple (sheep people get it? )

Plus sensible drug policy doesn't sound as good on paper as punishment does. Everyone wants to throw the book at "offenders" until they are on the receiving end of punishment. There needs to be major reform done to our governments whole infastructure but you will never hear a politican admit it because they might lose their comfy job.

Lohman446
08-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Contextually I took his last response as saracastic actually, and rereading his posts I still do.

Keep in mind I'm of the opinion that the government, on a federal level, has absolutely no business legistlating alchohol, or drugs for that matter.

Avianrave
08-27-2008, 03:03 PM
You can't really compare the drinking age of the united states to the drinking age of europe because of two big words: time and culture.

Europe has had their drinking age at 18 for a long, long time; here in the united states it has been 21 for just as long. Suddenly reducing it to 18 won't fix a thing.

The european culture also caters to the drinking age being 18, and the united states' culture caters to a lot of underage binge drinking and general underage alcohol abuse.

It hasn't been 21 for just as long. My parents let me drink because they feel that I'm responsible enough to make my own decisions. Bringing the drinking age down to 18 would also make it so I don't have to listen to their stories about how they were able to legally drink at 18.

One problem about the drinking age is that people remember being able to drink at the age of 18, and they feel bad for us. They then go and break the law buying us alcohol because they pity us.

JesseB
08-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Contextually I took his last response as saracastic actually, and rereading his posts I still do.

Keep in mind I'm of the opinion that the government, on a federal level, has absolutely no business legistlating alchohol, or drugs for that matter.

lol maybe so
damn text sarcasm
I never get it....

I guess I know too many people that would smoke a blunt while stumbling down a dark street drunk and then have run from police.

Sounded like a normal story to me....

Lohman446
08-27-2008, 03:19 PM
lol maybe so
damn text sarcasm
I never get it....

I guess I know too many people that would smoke a blunt while stumbling down a dark street drunk and then have run from police.

Sounded like a normal story to me....

First time I read it I started to respond to it as written. Halfway through my response I figured surely he was not stupid enough to come off with the "poor me" attitude earlier and then admit it (could be wrong though). :)

mr.mag218
08-27-2008, 04:01 PM
no pitty saught. im simply stating that the punishment doesn't fit the crime. 18 months of probation for a .06? keep in mind i have weekly drug and alcohol testing(12$ per visit) and a PO meeting every month (40$) as well as 2 alcohol classes at my expense(100$ each). not to mention i am a responsible adult as i work 2 jobs and am attending college. after a 16 hour day of solid back breaking labor, if i want to have a beer or 2 i see no harm in it.
i just think that kids with 4.0 gpa's who attend college and get slammed in the court system are being treated unfairly, and that a lower drinking age or atleast some leeway in the punishment department would be a good thing

the story was very sarcastic, and i was not too impaired to function he just smelled booz i was not even admitted a field sobriety test. there is a zero tolerance issue with under 21. oakland county is the worst in the state for underage drinking punishment

robnix
08-27-2008, 09:14 PM
no pitty saught. im simply stating that the punishment doesn't fit the crime. 18 months of probation for a .06? keep in mind i have weekly drug and alcohol testing(12$ per visit) and a PO meeting every month (40$) as well as 2 alcohol classes at my expense(100$ each). not to mention i am a responsible adult as i work 2 jobs and am attending college. after a 16 hour day of solid back breaking labor, if i want to have a beer or 2 i see no harm in it.
i just think that kids with 4.0 gpa's who attend college and get slammed in the court system are being treated unfairly, and that a lower drinking age or atleast some leeway in the punishment department would be a good thing

the story was very sarcastic, and i was not too impaired to function he just smelled booz i was not even admitted a field sobriety test. there is a zero tolerance issue with under 21. oakland county is the worst in the state for underage drinking punishment
You're lucky that's all it is. Do some research on DUI/alcohol penalties around the world and you'll find that the U.S. has some of the most lenient punishments there are.

Lohman446
08-28-2008, 06:04 AM

It should come as no surprise to you that there is zero tolerance where there is no legal use of a substance.

As to most of those - that punishment is what the court system has decided fits the crime, they don't apply it just to you, so it does fit the crime. Don't like the legal system as used today talk to your elected representatives (I doubt you'll get far).

There is also a large difference between going home and having a beer or two before retiring for the evening and being someplace where having a beer or two is followed by a walk home.

Attending college and having a high GPA should not afford one any more rights than someone who dropped out of high school and is working in manual labor.

My point is you made the decision to violate the law. The consequences rest solely at your feet. Its not Oakland counties fault you violated the law. Its not the police officers fault you violated the law. Its not Oakland counties fault the punishment is what it is. All the choices that led to your punishment were your choices. The results of your choices rest at your feet.