PDA

View Full Version : Firearm people please help

Ninjeff
08-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Quick question (loosely paintball related) does anyone know if a paintball mask will be safe for simunition rounds? Mainly for "indirect fire". In other words, they wont be shot directly at the mask.

Steelrat
08-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Quick question (loosely paintball related) does anyone know if a paintball mask will be safe for simunition rounds? Mainly for "indirect fire". In other words, they wont be shot directly at the mask.

Absolutely not. Simunition rounds require a higher level of protection. And if they're being fired, you have to assume one might hit someone in the face.

Also, and this is a biggie, since simunition rounds are fired from actual weapons with simunition barrels put in them, you have to be VERY careful to make sure no actual rounds are on anyone. We usually do a full pat down before any simunition shoots. Police officers have been killed during simunition training by people who accidentally used weapons with normal barrels and rounds.

chafnerjr
08-20-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm going to take a wild guess and say... um... maybe? My gut says no, but better than nothing I suppose. Give it a test yourself if you're really in need. I remember some ad's back in the day about JT testing with birdshot, and some bomb techs using them. I'm hoping that your well qualified and certified for whatever it is you're planning. :confused: .............. :shooting: :eek:

chafnerjr
08-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Just to add... if you have to ask that question, you're probably not making a good decision to move forward at all... but I'd like to see a video of you shooting a mask with a sim. round.

Ninjeff
08-20-2008, 10:18 PM
okokok. first off, its not for me. At all. Its for my mother. She does law enforcement work in Houston. Its called, erm, A.L.E.R.T training for officers from smaller counties. Anyhow, she called me today and asked about paintball masks for people to wear who are acting as "hostages" for a training situation she is working out a budget for. Maybe "simunition rounds" is an inpropper term. Isnt therea more hardcore type of round that fires a "marking pellet" that people can be shot with?

warbeak2099
08-20-2008, 11:40 PM
okokok. first off, its not for me. At all. Its for my mother. She does law enforcement work in Houston. Its called, erm, A.L.E.R.T training for officers from smaller counties. Anyhow, she called me today and asked about paintball masks for people to wear who are acting as "hostages" for a training situation she is working out a budget for. Maybe "simunition rounds" is an inpropper term. Isnt therea more hardcore type of round that fires a "marking pellet" that people can be shot with?

The only thing more hardcore than simmunition is real ammo lol.

Ninjeff
08-20-2008, 11:55 PM
sorry i should have been more clear, more hardcore than a paintball, but with the same "idea" as a paintball.

insixdays777
08-21-2008, 07:14 AM
my cop buddy does training with sim rounds...they wear JT googles....

Steelrat
08-21-2008, 07:34 AM
sorry i should have been more clear, more hardcore than a paintball, but with the same "idea" as a paintball.

That's simunitions. It's a small round with a paint filled tip, there's no powder in the case, the primer on the round is what drives the paint projectile. So you've still got the basics of a normal gun, i.e. trigger causing the firing pin to strike a primer, firing the projectile. The just have the barrels swapped out of normal weapons for simunition barrels.

my cop buddy does training with sim rounds...they wear JT googles....

That's probably a mistake. Simunition protective gear is tested with their own rounds, which are different than paintballs. I'd wager that there is a risk with using protective gear not meant to be used with simunitions. Unless they aren't using simunitions, and are in fact using something else.

Warwitch
08-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Cant be too careful with your eyes man. Why not just send the simunitions manufact. an email?

Spider-TW
08-21-2008, 08:11 AM
I've only seen video of shoot houses. However, the hostage is usually sitting down and there is often one bad guy standing next to them. That puts body shots near eye level for the hostage; I would hope they offer top of the line face and eye protection for the "privilege" of being the hostage. :argh:

Steelrat
08-21-2008, 11:49 AM
You ever see a simunition helmet? It covers the whole head, with lenses that look similar to, but not quite exactly the same, as a Vforce lens. I've worn them, and they are very hot and stuffy, and very prone to fogging. You also wear a ballistic vest and crotch protection whenever doing simunition training.

warbeak2099
08-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Yea simmunition training is no game.

rx2
08-21-2008, 05:44 PM
You ever see a simunition helmet? It covers the whole head, with lenses that look similar to, but not quite exactly the same, as a Vforce lens. I've worn them, and they are very hot and stuffy, and very prone to fogging. You also wear a ballistic vest and crotch protection whenever doing simunition training.

You are right about the comfort level. Fortunately, all of the sim training I have done was in the winter. As bad as that was, I can't imagine how they would be in the summer.

We weren't so lucky as to get the groin protection. It was bring your own, or test your luck. We did get neck protection, though...

In any case, the lenses on the simunition-supplied masks did seem a little heavier-duty, although that may just have been perceived rather than real. If I can dig up an old mask, I may just fire a few of the FX rounds at it to see what happens.

Destructo6
08-22-2008, 01:40 PM
I wore PB goggles & mask when I did Simunition training. They made us wear head to toe protection, to include a padded vest, over our uniforms.

Thotograph
08-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Whats the effective range and velocity of the simmunition round? Do they come in cool colors?

Looked around and found these sweet :ninja: hoods:

http://www.nevesuniforms.com/productdetail.asp?groupnumber=1134

http://www.nevesuniforms.com/productdetail.asp?groupnumber=1133

Last one looks like no joke... wonder if it'd be tourney legal?

bryceeden
08-22-2008, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't use paintball masks with sim rounds, it probably wouldn't shoot true the lens but do you really want to risk someones eyes on a probably?

Ninjeff
08-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Well, thats kinda what i thought. It seemed a bit risky to me. But she said its a new program they are doing for terrorist training. The city of Houston has decent equipment for the officers, but not enough for the "extras" like hostages and such. Add to that the training is supposed to be for smaller counties that cant really afford the equipment themselves so numbers will vary. She said she would need between 15-20 extra goggle systems to be adaquate. IM trying to help her our as this is all new (as a law enforcement training program) and we were brainstorming ways to make it happen.

She has a wicked cool job. apparently two weeks ago she was in New Mexico doing "explosion" training scenarios. Basically, they put on a scenario, and local law enforcement uses it for training. I guess they flew her team out to NM and let them run some situations with large explosions. C4 military grade explosives, home made style explosives, car bombs etc. Im jealous.

Anyway, i kinda had a feeling sim rounds were a touch too much for a paintball goggle system. I'll call her again and find out what other avenues tehy might be looking at.

Also on that note, she asked if there was anything in the pb industry that could be made to simulate a suicide bomber. I told her paint grenades would do it, but i didnt know how to set them off while the user was wearing them. I also told her i would bring that scenario to the fine folks here at AO and see what kinda brainstorming you guys could do.

Sumthinwicked
08-22-2008, 05:25 PM
savephace.com uses saftey glass in the sports utility masks they have pb masks and other masks http://www.savephace.com/Tactical/15-Reasons # 14 Our lenses meet or exceed ANSI and ASTM Paintball Standards for impact resistance, Luminance and optical clarity. thats the pb ones they have a suv one thats made for rthat though call them very nnice owner

Ninjeff
08-22-2008, 05:26 PM
savephace.com uses saftey glass in the sports utility masks they have pb masks and other masks http://www.savephace.com/Tactical/15-Reasons # 14 Our lenses meet or exceed ANSI and ASTM Paintball Standards for impact resistance, Luminance and optical clarity. thats the pb ones they have a suv one thats made for rthat though call them very nnice owner

I was actually just thinking about them....i think i will try and contact them