PDA

View Full Version : A little Old School action for you young-ins.

pito189
08-21-2008, 03:03 PM
A little Old School Action pursuit games. Also AGD advertising at it's finest. It's not the dude in the sleeveless vest (I cannot remember where I saw that gem) but it will do.

http://paulchinetti.com/images/paintball/APG1997.jpg
http://paulchinetti.com/images/paintball/APG1998.jpg

http://paulchinetti.com/images/paintball/APG98Ad.jpg

drg
08-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Does 97-98 really qualify as "old school"? :p

pito189
08-21-2008, 04:04 PM
For some of the young guys who are like 13 or 14 I would say yes. :) Also ten years ago I was only 15, I would definitely say that is old school to me, hehe.

Old School 626
08-21-2008, 06:27 PM
*cough* *wheeze* *cough*

Old school? The bottom ad already has the marker I bought new in 1990 listed as a "classic".

And even though I have been standing by the phone, the Antiques Roadshow has not called wanting the gun back so it can't be that old.

But I always enjoy seeing things like this. Thanks for posting it!

insixdays777
08-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Those where the days!!!!! Man I miss the paintabll of old. :cheers:

chafnerjr
08-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Who else here remembers bringing a tippmann to a tournament and winning :D

mtaylor
08-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Heh...

"Brass Eagle Talon: Pumpgun Pleasure"

gimp
08-21-2008, 07:52 PM

I remember bringing my Puma to tournament and losing :rofl:

drg
08-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Old school? The bottom ad already has the marker I bought new in 1990 listed as a "classic".

Same here lol

georgeyew
08-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Did anyone catch the fine print on weight of the 68 Automag? It said 1.8 lbs. Not bad for all steel.

cyclic
08-22-2008, 06:57 AM
Might be dating myself, but what the hell. I remember when the VW68 and F1 Illustrator were the new high tech guns. I started at the height of pumps and the transition to semi's.

pito189
08-22-2008, 11:16 AM
HA, I knew it was in one of these, look at this kat. :D :eek: I know thats what all of us AO'ers look like right.

Was it a prerequisite that you had to look like that back in the day before TK would sell you a mag? :rofl:

http://paulchinetti.com/images/paintball/NoSleeves.jpg

dcent
08-22-2008, 11:25 AM
I remember bringing my Puma to tournament and losing :rofl:

we won with 1 puma, 1 bobcat, and 3 VM68's

and if you lit someone up in a tourny you were penalized ( 3 or more breaks )

still have 1 VM, 1 F1 illustrator....wish I still had my puma though.

Destructo6
08-22-2008, 01:37 PM
I started reading APG in late 1991: I remember some of those covers. It doesn't seem very old school to me, but I guess that's going to be a relative term.

You know, their articles really haven't changed much in that time, but the ads have gotten more plentiful and colorful.

chafnerjr
08-22-2008, 01:57 PM
and if you lit someone up in a tourny you were penalized ( 3 or more breaks )

we had a little bit of an interesting penalty back in the day 96-97ish when my family started our own field. My step-dad had this thing against headshots of any kind (no insurance). So if you got someone in the head three times over the course of the day you had to run the gauntlet. He'd take everyone at the field (7-15 friends avg.), top off their hoppers and make the offending player run back and forth across a dirt road at 15 paces while they got to light you up. I think he was a little more old school than most of us... funny thing is that I'd end up running once a week... I've got a picture of that somewhere... I might have to post it later.

P.S. The trick is to dive and roll at the end :cheers: I tried that a few weeks ago in a similar situation and it didn't work that well for me... I found a small tree stump that I hadn't noticed before... been out of it for two weeks now. Funny how it always seems like a good idea at the time :rolleyes:

dcent
08-22-2008, 02:03 PM
you had to run the gauntlet.

our field had a similar thing for overshooting. but there were only about 10 of us there every weekend ( more if there were rentals ) so no one every really had to run the gauntlet. it was always used as a threat though. 92 93ish

and that scott mask in the first mag was my least favorite of all masks.
we always used JT x-fire masks. some of the old guys ( I was about 14 or so ) used the small JT's that had 0 side protection, but I was always to afraid so me and my brother used X-fire untill the first spectras came out. then he got a spectra and I got a vents predator.

Strider
08-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Does 97-98 really qualify as "old school"? :p

There are some kids who think 2001-2003 is now "old school". :wow:

ta2maki
08-22-2008, 11:14 PM
There are some kids who think 2001-2003 is now "old school". :wow:
Ya it's pretty sad. The other day they called my viking an 'old school electro' :(

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v90/cupnoodles/Paintball2/Semi/PICT8208.jpg

chafnerjr
08-23-2008, 11:11 AM
damn... we're all getting old. :(

EDIT: NOT actually referring to the Vik... That's hot! I'm just remembering those day's pre-thermal lenses... ahh... When I upgraded to my Spectra IZE from a crossfire it was probably the biggest advantage I've ever gotten from a piece of paintball equipment EVER :headbang: ... now I bitc# about that as well... oh well

drg
08-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Ya it's pretty sad. The other day they called my viking an 'old school electro' :(

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v90/cupnoodles/Paintball2/Semi/PICT8208.jpg

SHOWOFF! :clap:

DeuceSV
08-23-2008, 07:20 PM
SHOWOFF! :clap:

I still remember the day someone showed up to my field with a spyder shutter and his buddy with a TL Plus.

Everyone was so interested.

And the bushmasters

ThePixelGuru
08-23-2008, 11:28 PM
we had a little bit of an interesting penalty back in the day 96-97ish when my family started our own field. My step-dad had this thing against headshots of any kind (no insurance). So if you got someone in the head three times over the course of the day you had to run the gauntlet. He'd take everyone at the field (7-15 friends avg.), top off their hoppers and make the offending player run back and forth across a dirt road at 15 paces while they got to light you up. I think he was a little more old school than most of us... funny thing is that I'd end up running once a week... I've got a picture of that somewhere... I might have to post it later.

P.S. The trick is to dive and roll at the end :cheers: I tried that a few weeks ago in a similar situation and it didn't work that well for me... I found a small tree stump that I hadn't noticed before... been out of it for two weeks now. Funny how it always seems like a good idea at the time :rolleyes:
...He was worried about liability so he made people run the gauntlet? I guess logic wasn't his strong suit. :rolleyes:

hmudd13
08-25-2008, 06:21 PM
I remember playing in a local tourny, and a non local team showed up with their "brand new Automags"
First time I ever saw one. Needless to say everyone was intimidated. :wow:
The common marker for the day was VM's, 68 Specials, bone stock cockers and a variety of pumps.

My intimidation quickly dissapeared when we played these guys. I was shooting a 68 Special with a Line SI barrel. (man I miss that setup)
We soon discovered that while we were diving for cover, not one ball was coming close to hitting us. :D
We moved closer and wiped these guys out.
I love my mags now, but when they first came out, they weren't very accurate IMO.
Oh, and we won that tournament. 2 68 Specials, 1 Pmi III, 1 SL 68 and a Enforcer. :dance:

Spider-TW
08-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Might be dating myself, but what the hell. I remember when the VW68 and F1 Illustrator were the new high tech guns. I started at the height of pumps and the transition to semi's.
Bob Long and the Ironmen were shooting Line SI pumps (Bushmasters?) just before that. What was the first 'pro' semi?

mabb1975
08-26-2008, 06:30 AM
Define Old School Semi ( going to REALLY date myself ). Allot of people on any forum wont recall there were a few " Double Action " semi auto paintball guns before any True semi " blow back / blow forwards " BE made the Barracudda and I think it was the Jaguar, Line SI made one as well. Tippman started the full production line with the SMG50 then went from there. I can recall when JT came out with the first paintball goggle that took us away from shop goggles like Uvex. When I started a rich man would have an auto trigger, and that with a 90 rnd VL was FIREPOWER. First mag I had was #'d in the 1k's. I have now aged myself in the one sport that keeps me young..... time to go drink some fiber and realize I got old )

BigEvil
08-26-2008, 06:45 AM
HA, I knew it was in one of these, look at this kat. :D :eek: I know thats what all of us AO'ers look like right.

Was it a prerequisite that you had to look like that back in the day before TK would sell you a mag? :rofl:

http://paulchinetti.com/images/paintball/NoSleeves.jpg

Little know piece of trivia -

The guy in that ad, is really Don Miguel :D

PBChappy
08-26-2008, 06:48 AM
does getting my splat master of the back of a comic book count as old school :D

mabb1975
08-26-2008, 07:47 AM
First day I ever played " firepower " was the fat guy with 2 splatmasters that he would smack against his chest as fast as he could to recock. I can honestly say I really do miss those days. First night game I was in, a friend of mine was crawling beside me when several people started shooting above our head. Little flickers of light started to rain down on top of him ( I can remember this SO well ) and he started to scream " OMG they are shooting real bullets at us ! ". I started rolling around laughing at his horror knowing full well that only several fireflys has just been imploded over his head and the sparkle was showering down on him.. Classic moment forever there.

Spider-TW
08-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Little know piece of trivia -

The guy in that ad, is really Don Miguel :D
:rofl: