PDA

View Full Version : How do you cable a tree?

StygShore
08-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Hey guys -

I haev a MASSIVE apple tree in my back yard that has 3 "trunks" that over time have begun to spread apart and you can see about 3 ft into the ground between the trunks.

I would liek to cable the trunks to make the tree grow up instead of out quite as much to try and avoid the trunks breaking off, or vermin infetation into the trunk.

Can anyone tell me the proper way to cable a tree? The tree is about 35 ft tall and well over 50' wide

Styg

Sumthinwicked
08-23-2008, 06:36 PM
talk to and have an arborist (sp) do it theyll do it correctly if anyone

Bolter
08-26-2008, 10:06 AM
That is one MASSIVE apple tree!! The ones over here are alot smaller in size the type you would find in your yard for example are maybe 10ft max height. :hail:

StygShore
08-26-2008, 11:32 AM
It was here when my neighbor moved in 36 years ago and was pretty large then.

I am just worried about the trunks twisting and splitting. I will see if I can find an Arborist around here and how much of an ungodly fortune that woudl cost me :)

Styg

C_losjoker
08-26-2008, 06:57 PM
i have seen this happen around here in cali, usually oak or redwoods. never seen an apple tree that freaking big. most people actually will put in some steel support poles under the big main branches, cementing them into the ground. Then they will fill up the center of the tree with cement, keeping kids, or anyone including small animals from crawling in there.