PDA

View Full Version : Weird level 10 problem

Madcat_MK2
08-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Hello, for a while the mag was running flawlessly and I had no issues except an
occassional bolt stick here and there with the red spring. Well one game I noticed that some of the paint I was using was breaking when the bolt just hit it, so the bolt area had a good amount of paint behind it. So I took it out to clean it and sprayed water inside the bolt to clean it out as well and wiped it clean inside the best I could. Well i went to use it yesterday and it was disaster. I was getting I believe bolt stick, where the trigger pin wouldnt reset after being pulled. So I'd degas and try it again and usually it fire 3 or 4 times and the trigger would stick again.

The carrier is the max 1.5 i have and it seemed the oring was tighter then I remebered it being before, so I thought maybe the water did something. So I put it back together with the same oring and carrier and started moving them both to simulate firing figuring maybe I could re-break it in.I did that a few hundreds time and put the red spring back in. Now it was doing the same while also getting real bolt stick. So I figured well if the bolt wont reset maybe the stronger silver spring will do the trick. So I put that in and after a few rough starts it fires perfect from then on with a few bolt sticks that require degassing here and there.

Any ideas on what went wrong or why the silver spring worked better then the weaker red? Also, I shot my foamie off during dry fires with the silver, so I noticed that more paintball were breaking in the barrel. Is this from the higher pressure of the silver spring needs or is it the lack of a foamie? Thank for the help.

sffudapparel
08-24-2008, 06:31 PM
well, the trigger pin not resetting has to do with the on/off pin (or ULT) not being oiled. So pull that out and oil it up drop 2-3 drops STRAIGHT into the inlet port of your valve (macroline, ss line area)

Madcat_MK2
08-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Yeah forgot to mention that, I also have the ULT in and its a Xvalve as well. But I pulled that out too to check it and it was oiled well and was very clean and the oring were in great shape, so I know it wasnt the ULT. I also did the oil in the ASA a few times on top of my normal regime of it every play just to be sure. Anything else it could have been?

sffudapparel
08-24-2008, 08:35 PM
First take a shorter spring (gold) and put it on your bolt, then take it to the chrono and set it the velocity to what you're going to need. You need to do this before continuing. Once set, see if you get any bolt stick. If that doesn't help you can try a different o ring and last but not least a new carrier size

athomas
08-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Breach breaks are more often than not, caused by paint that is too large for the barrel bore that you are using and/or poor quality paint.

If you are having issues with the largest carrier being too tight, try a different oring in the carrier to see if that makes a difference.

Madcat_MK2
08-26-2008, 05:48 PM
I thought about changing the oring, but I'm not quite sure why its doing this. As I said it was perfect the whole time before and all i did was clean the bolt and next game use its gives me problems. I remember you guys saying once its set, that the oring should last for quite some time, but I've only used this one for maybe 4 cases including the simulated firing I did to get it to work. Should I always expect the mag to be this finnicky or something else happen that is unusual?

sffudapparel
08-27-2008, 02:43 PM
if it's only 4 cases old that means that just now is everything getting broken in. O-rings change once they get broken in. AGD would tell you to keep the same o ring, and change carrier size.

athomas
08-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Was there a big temperature difference between the last game and the day you fired it after the cleaning? It could be that in cooler weather, the carrier contracted just enough to cause problems, especially if it was just barely working before (you indicated mild bolt stick).

Madcat_MK2
08-28-2008, 10:47 PM
I figured it would have been broken in by now and even if it had more to go, wouldnt I need to use a smaller carrier since its the oring material getting wasted away rather then move to a bigger carrier as it would seem I needed to do? Thats whats weird about it, as it was if the 1.5 carrier was magically too small and it now needed a 2, which I'd have to buy seperate.

Athomas, the temp was pretty much the same as last time. It was probably about 83 last time and the game the problems started probably about 78.

athomas
08-29-2008, 07:06 AM
That temp change wouldn't affect it.

I'm guessing that you were lucky it was working with the carrier size you had before. A little wear on the surfaces probably provided a better seal once the oring started to break in. That also increased the surface friction which increased the bolt stick that was already mildly present. Try a larger carrier size. If you don't have one that is larger, try a new oring and the appropriate carrier for it. Always remove the shims when testing carriers. Too many shims can sometimes cause a tiny leak which would cause you to use a tighter carrier than necessary. This would lead to bolt stick.

Madcat_MK2
08-29-2008, 06:36 PM
So do you think the cleaning of it removed something or did it just happen to be a case of real good timing?

And since I'm practically blowing through oring it seems; I'm not sure if they carry it near me so in case I do end up ordering them online, do you think it be worth investing in the other 4 sizes of larger carriers in case this happens again or do you think this is a rare case that probably wouldnt happen again?

athomas
08-29-2008, 11:20 PM
I think it was probably just bad timing. You probably won't nee anything larger than a 2.0 carrier size. I have never used larger than 2.0 and even then, it was only until the oring got broken in, at which time I moved down to a 1.5 carrier. I bet once you get a new set of carrier orings, your problem will go away.

BigTrucker
08-30-2008, 07:01 PM
So do you think the cleaning of it removed something

Yea Oil from the O ring. Put some oil on your O ring and the bolt shaft

flyingpootang
09-01-2008, 01:04 AM
athomas is correct remove 1 shim at a time until the bolt resets automatically. Place a squigee a 1/4" away from the bolt face and fire the marker if the bolt sticks remove 1 shim at a time until it doesn't stick any longer. I have 2 L10 shims in all of my mags, but every mag is different.

chafnerjr
09-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Def do all of these things... and while you're at it do one more thing just to help yourself out. If the top of the sear (where the bolt slides over) is rough, polish that up a bit. It's also good to slightly polish the bolt to reduce friction. Not that this will solve your issue, but it did solve mine, and is just a plain ol' good idea. Not hard either. It took me about 30 min... but I was using my wifes nail files, and not proper metal working equip.