wetwrks
08-24-2008, 10:52 PM
"improved ball flight and unmatched accuracy"

http://www.tippmann.com/product_guide/barrelDetails.aspx?cid=13

:rolleyes:

Ninjeff
08-25-2008, 02:02 AM
:rofl:

If you watch the "barrel in action" video, the dude keeps referancing the "hammerhead" barrels. Though this is probably that barrel with Tippmann name on it, its probably not the best way to sell your product

indecisive
08-25-2008, 03:07 AM
:rofl:

If you watch the "barrel in action" video, the dude keeps referancing the "hammerhead" barrels. Though this is probably that barrel with Tippmann name on it, its probably not the best way to sell your product

Hammerhead's are supposed to be the best barrel or at least that's what their marketing says.
I still think it's all ridiculous.

MANN
08-25-2008, 06:01 AM
the vid does not show the ball moving in the direction of the rifiling. proving that the barrel is only worth its weight in alum.

93civiccpe
08-25-2008, 06:45 AM
The product description tells you it is made by hammerhead for Tippmann.. that's no surprise. I never found them to be anything special, but maybe that's me.

insixdays777
08-25-2008, 07:20 AM
I thought we all went through this 10 yrs ago after we all ran out and bought Armson barrels, and found out rifling is only good for one thing....getting lots of barrel breaks.

Twistedpsyche
08-25-2008, 07:39 AM
I have a hammerhead barrel and I have to say, it works pretty well. I don't get breaks very often, but God forbid if you do... it's all over after that.

Honestly though I didn't notice it to be much if any more accurate than any other barrel kit.

Temo Vryce
08-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Just like the rest of paintball in general. Barrel choice is a matter of personal preference. I know people that swear by Armson barrels, and others that believe that Tom's post about rifling showing no improvement as the WORD OF GOD and that rifled barrels don't work at all. If I could get my hands on a small bore short Armson barrel for my ULE bodied mag I would use it. If you don't like it you don't have to use it. But that doesn't mean that no one else should use it either.

punkncat
08-25-2008, 08:16 AM
I enjoyed my Armson barrel. Mostly just the way it looked, but the rifling didn't seem to hurt anything. Not saying it helped either...
The Hammerhead is one of those swear by things to some. I don't like them. I think the sizing "fins" are too short to do any good.
This like many other products should sell pretty well to those searching around for that edge they think upgrades provide. And in their mind if it works then it has done what it was supposed to.

warbeak2099
08-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Hammerhead = expensive gimmick.

Empyreal Rogue
08-25-2008, 12:32 PM
That hammerhead promo video is like 5 years old or something. Odd that a company like Tippmann would use an outdated video on a barrel system that isn't even about their new barrel.

The ball is moving clockwise, but not having the barrel in front of me I can't say for sure whether that's the direction of the rifling or not.

Hilltop Customs
08-25-2008, 02:05 PM
I love the "ball rotation video".....the ball they show has as much vertical axis spin as the spin that is inline with the barrel.

:tard:

ThePixelGuru
08-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Just like the rest of paintball in general. Barrel choice is a matter of personal preference. I know people that swear by Armson barrels, and others that believe that Tom's post about rifling showing no improvement as the WORD OF GOD and that rifled barrels don't work at all. If I could get my hands on a small bore short Armson barrel for my ULE bodied mag I would use it. If you don't like it you don't have to use it. But that doesn't mean that no one else should use it either.
Yes barrel choice is personal preference, but physics aren't. If someone really likes his Hammerhead or Armson barrel, cool. But I'm going to prove him wrong if he says the rifling spins the ball. I've heard people say that they like their rifled barrels because the lands put the same barrel surface on every ball - fine. But again, it's not spinning it, and it wouldn't help if it was. Check out Tippmann's video, that pretty much proves the barrel doesn't do what it says.

Similarly, I have no problem with people shooting 'cockers, but if they tell me that it shoots farther because it's closed bolt I'll prove them wrong, too. Everyone has a preference for certain gear, but that doesn't mean it defies physics in their hands.

trevorjk
08-25-2008, 02:50 PM
guys this are revolucionary business!

Ravenneon
08-25-2008, 03:19 PM
I definitely remember spiral rifled barrels from ten years ago...whats so new about this?

Hexis
08-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Similarly, I have no problem with people shooting 'cockers, but if they tell me that it shoots farther because it's closed bolt I'll prove them wrong, too.

I think one of my favorite things about shooting a cocker (other than the backblock) is that other crazy cocker owners let their guard down around you when you have a cocker in your hands. I hear so many crazy things.

dcent
08-25-2008, 04:36 PM
I thought we all went through this 10 yrs ago after we all ran out and bought Armson barrels, and found out rifling is only good for one thing....getting lots of barrel breaks.

dont forget that loud bark the short armsons had on a mag.
that sound profile could scare anybody.

robnix
08-25-2008, 04:41 PM
"improved ball flight and unmatched accuracy"

http://www.tippmann.com/product_guide/barrelDetails.aspx?cid=13

:rolleyes:
The largest sizer is .688? :confused: The .691 back I was using this weekend was almost too small.

questionful
08-25-2008, 07:25 PM
I think it's hilarious how they post the video on their site as if to prove that it works. . . then you watch the video and laugh.

Big DOH for tippmann.

Chrishew09
08-25-2008, 07:43 PM
the high speed video of the ball looks like a knuckle ball to me, I really can't see a spin that would make a difference.... :tard:

Spider-TW
08-25-2008, 08:58 PM
the high speed video of the ball looks like a knuckle ball to me, I really can't see a spin that would make a difference.... :tard:
Maybe THAT is the real difference! I haven't really thought it through, but maybe a rifled barrel prevents the ball from acquiring a spin in any particular direction, whereas a smooth bore barrel will spin the ball more around its major points of contact which are usually along the seam.

I need a WAVE rifled barreled! Where's my patent stamp???

Chris Nearchos
08-25-2008, 09:15 PM
forget the barrel...

I want to see more about their pistol coming out this fall. I wonder if they will have a propane version of it.

-Chris

Spider-TW
08-25-2008, 09:20 PM
forget the barrel...

I want to see more about their pistol coming out this fall. I wonder if they will have a propane version of it.

-Chris
Can you mod it for more rounds per tank by using mapp gas and better spark plugs?

Chris Nearchos
08-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Can you mod it for more rounds per tank by using mapp gas and better spark plugs?

hmm, dont know. only one way to find out. lol.

maniacmechanic
08-26-2008, 04:59 AM

HEY that was my new gas milage secret :)