PDA

View Full Version : What do you think...

Butterfingers
01-23-2002, 09:45 PM
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=403153#post403153

what do you think?

MantisMag
01-23-2002, 10:22 PM
here's some math for a non-warp fed hopper. obviously things change if you have warp feed cause you can feed long strings of balls into the warp without stopping. however with a more conventional gun hopper set up the balls must stop after each one is loaded. and i'm sorry to say this but the paintballs never even approach 980 centimeters per second butterfingers. that's after an entire second of falling that it reaches that speed. a ball is only actually at around 221 centimeters per second after travelling one ball length. sooooooo. here is the theoretical limit on a gravity fed hopper. this is what you would get if you were actually firing that tall stack of balls instead of letting them drop. and in actuality you can't get speeds this high because this is still cutting out some factors. this is if it was possible to have balls with zero bounce when they stop and an instantaneously firing bolt that shoots off the ball and is ready for the next one to drop with zero elapsed time.

d=1/2*a*t^2
.68 inches = .017272 meters
acceleration due to gravity = 9.80665 m/s^2
.017272=1/2*9.80665*t^2
.0035225 = t^2
.05935 = t this is the time for one ball to drop
1 second / .05935 secs/ball = 16.849 balls/sec

i hope that was informative and easy enough to follow.

MantisMag
01-23-2002, 10:32 PM
oh by the way. hehe. if you really want to impress people with the power of gravity i just did the math. 60 bps is EXTREMELY conservative for a continuous stack of balls that's just allowed to drop. actually if allowed to drop for one second 283 balls will clear the starting point. and since they are accelerating that number will keep getting bigger as time goes on.

haha. if we allow that stack to fall for 9 seconds and then stick a 90* elbow in there so that we're firing them off horizontally once they hit the bottom we would chrono in at 289.5 ft/sec!

Butterfingers
01-23-2002, 10:36 PM
yeah i didnt really do the math... i was just using his numbers... Too much work for me! Trying to be a little scarcastic for times sake... My purpose was just to tell him he effed his calculations up...