PDA

View Full Version : Why dont people Mill Automag bodies?

Aliens-8-MyDad
01-23-2002, 10:19 PM
Whats wrong with milling the automag bodies it doesnt seal in air or anything i think it might be kinda neat! people need to mill mags more they would look so cool! if i had a milling machine i would do it. ok tell me your thoughts. NO FLAMING tell me whats wrong with my idea not that its stupid :)

justinellery
01-23-2002, 10:23 PM
I think that is a good question, I would do it myself but what if I screw it up. Anyone ever do it?

BlackVCG
01-23-2002, 10:28 PM
For two reasons:

A) There really isn't much to mill without punching holes in the mainbody and that's not necessarily attractive.

B) It's made of 304 stainless steel. Not exactly a metal easy to machine like aluminum.

Aliens-8-MyDad
01-23-2002, 10:32 PM
i think it would look awesome, like having a large circle another cirlcle a bit smaller and so on strait down the top of the body. or at least more milling on the body rails.

Aliens-8-MyDad
01-23-2002, 11:16 PM
c'mon guys hasnt this ever crossed your mind? tell me what ya think!

irbodden
01-24-2002, 06:30 AM
In my old Minicocker, I had "windows" milled as well. What happens? A ball comes, hits the side of your gun, and paint and shell cover your bolt and any other exposed internals.

If you want to mill , find a beaten up Micro body.

[NA]WARLORD
01-24-2002, 12:11 PM
If ya want a milled Automag, order a Micromag or a Z-Body, these are the only two out there I know of or get ahold of Punisher Customs, link;http://airsoldier.com/~punisher/ and ask his advice.

rhetor22
01-24-2002, 07:01 PM
Its also much too thin to have depth, you would just have holes. I don't think it would be too attractive. Like Miscue says, don't mill your tank!

2000Sabre
01-24-2002, 07:10 PM
I think your question was answered very nicely by BlackVCG. There isn't enough material to work with and the type of metal makes it more difficult. Therefore, I think people who do this type of work are reluctant to offer services to a market with such small potential. Until AGD starts making Mags with aluminum bodies I think we're stuck with annodizing the aluminum parts and powdercoating. You can do a lot with those options to make your Mag standout

By the way, I think the SFL E-Mag and the Xtreeme are the future of what's to come from AGD. This puts them more in the mainstream and lets people customize their markers to their liking. Maybe Tom will get around to doing something similar to the Classic mags and RTs. Only time will tell.

irbodden
01-24-2002, 08:35 PM
I believe the Modular body can be mounted on an Automag with alittle work thus allowing us to have a nice Alum. body. :cool:

nutz
01-24-2002, 09:11 PM
first off your idea has kinda been done with minimag bodies... but if u took it a step further and milled designs there instead of the straight lines maybe... maybe it would look good. if u can do this i would like to see it....

another way off doing this is making ur own body from scratch and machine in cool custom designs or something like that.... i am going to try this if i can at my high school and try to take full advantage of my hs's state of the art machining lab... i am very interested in seeing what i can come up with in this lab and ill post pics if i ever acomplish this (i hope i can)!!!!!!

:D

Aliens-8-MyDad
01-24-2002, 09:34 PM
hmmm sounds good i guess next year ill sign up for shop in high school and start milling! hmmm but i wasnt thinking of milling a mini frot but the whole mag u could really make it look spiffy. i just thought mabey some holes the same size in a circle around the body in some direction... or even make the hole body like a really big strainer! haha might make the body weaker but that would sure turn heads!

Paintchucker
01-24-2002, 10:16 PM
I have wondered about taking a centerfeed body and then making two "site rail" type pieces to go behind and in front of the centerfeed piece. This could be made of aluminum and milled very easily. Of course, you are adding weight to the gun just for glitter, and it probably end up looking like a cocker or angel clone...

I kinda took this one step futher in the fantasy emag contest. I started with a centerfeed emag, and replaced the centerfeed with a backfeed tube and covered it with an aluminum block that could be milled to many different designs. Here is a picture of it flying in MS Flight Simulator. LOL, sorry, it doesn't make a great picture, but it was the only design software I have...

http://www.combatfs.com/~cfs2area51/pball/robmags/fantasy.jpg

I haven't played with the flight simulator much lately, but I could very easily make rockets in the shape and color scheme of paintballs that shoot from this. Wouldn't that surprise the ww2 planes in the game to be shot down by a fantasy emag!!! :)

DaXtremeist
01-25-2002, 07:22 AM
actually im milling an old classic body. unfortunatly i don't have access to any milling tools so i gota use my dremel and some carbide tips wich work well. ive lightened the body 2oz. so far wich isn't to bad but i still have alot planned.

Butterfingers
01-25-2002, 10:29 AM
you realize there is nothing to mill right? Other than creating holes which will expose the barrel or the internals I cant see what you could do...