PDA

View Full Version : HPA Tank Problem

Poon985
08-30-2008, 12:30 PM
I have a JAVA 68/4.5K HPA tank fiber wraped. I have not played in a few years and had the tank filled. I am a firefighter so I can fill my tank at the station. The first time I filled it there was no problem, but the next time the valve inside the fill connection is getting stuck open a little and is leaking air. I tried putting oil in it after it was completely gasses down and re-filling it but with no luck. Is there a way to take it apart andclean it out. Any help would be great.

dark blade
08-30-2008, 12:43 PM
I hope you didn't put any oil in the fill nipple because next time yu fill you are gong to blow the tank... Trust me you are better off buying a new tank and reg because the back pressure will compress the oil to be like deisel fuel andwill combust under pessure. I wish I had gotten to you earlier because all you needed to do was replace the fill nipple

Poon985
08-30-2008, 03:06 PM
I did place some oil in the fill nipple, don't think too much got into the tank itself. Also the oild I used is just PMI paintball oil. I ended up taking the fill nipple out and found a fualty o-ring and replaced it, re filled the tank with no blowing up. It there going to a problem latter on, or should I be fine. The tank is due for a re-hydro, I hate to get a new tank due to a myth of a tank blowing up.

secretweaponevan
08-30-2008, 03:49 PM
The tank is due for a re-hydro, I hate to get a new tank due to a myth of a tank blowing up.

It's not a myth. It can kill you. Get the tank cleaned and rehydro'd.

When oil is compressed, it explodes. Think of a diesel engine. A firefighter should know better. DO NOT REFILL THAT TANK. Get it serviced and cleaned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6IA5mGelR4

paintball72
08-30-2008, 07:00 PM
it is completely real and when those tanks go they go all the way with 4500 psi of pressure behind the shrapnel. at the feild i go to there was a player who put oil into his fill nipple and filled his tank, it blew up and messed up his face and sliced clean through his right tricep muscle. and he was lucky he wasnt killed. after that the field got an armored box that they fill the tanks in so if they go it stoped by the box.

Poon985
08-30-2008, 09:38 PM
I guess I will have it hydro'd and cleaned. I looked at the bottle of oil it it stated it is 100% synthic based oil, so I don't think it has any oil properties, but will take the safety steps anyways. As far as a firefighter should know better unless they taught you a diesel properties or in depth hydostatic class in your 12-week recruit career training I don't think that would have been common knowledge within the fire service, but that's just here in MA.

dark blade
08-30-2008, 11:27 PM
well.... just make sure that its professionally cleaned and not a job done by yourself because if there is even any oil in it at all it will compress and explode

and just remember... oil is oil, whether it be natural or synthetic the chemical properties were made to be identical. How useful would it be to make a synthetic oil that doesnt perform like a normal oil... would it still be oil? No.

just a thought for you... some food for your brain.

remember kiddies, no oil in the Fill Nipple and you wont die! now go have fun and shoot others in the face with your balls.

Hilltop Customs
08-31-2008, 11:13 AM
WHAT, dont fill that tank again, if you do your literally putting yourself in danger.

MournBlade
09-01-2008, 01:16 AM
The diesel engine was designed to run on peanut oil. Biodiesel is filtered cooking oil. The only oils designed for pressures that high are scuba compressor oils and turboshaft oils. Let your hydro-tester know that there is oil in there and they will clean it out for you.

SkinnyHare
09-01-2008, 01:36 AM
synthetic or not, it's still a liquid hydrocarbon... compress it in an oxygen sufficient environment and BOOM :wow:

athomas
09-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Compression during the fill process generates heat. Compression also lowers the flame point. Combine this with fuel (synthetic oil will do nicely) and an air supply, and you have a ready to explode bomb.

Poon985
09-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Ok, I'm going to have it hydro'd since it is due anyways and I'll let them know. Thanks for the help eeryone.