PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a non-gunwhore, need advice...

Redbeard the Pirate
09-05-2008, 03:22 PM
So I'm needing to get out of my addiction to buying markers... I'm getting back into truck restorations and it's a better hobby for me :)

I love paintball, but I really need to sell everything, well, everything but 1 marker, and that's kinda what I need help with.

I want one marker to continue playing, but I want it to fulfill of my other markers rolls :p I've limited it down to the following:

Electro-pneumatic
Air efficient
Quiet (ish)
UNIQUE
Light (ish)
Not a "series" or I guess "yearly" marker (ego, dm, pm... etc...)
Not SP :p

My original thought was going to be a viking, but milling those suckers down (at least from quotes I've seen) is SPENDY!

Any other recommendations or am I stuck with the viking?

I love mags, but they're kinda out because of air efficiency :( They do stand up to most electro's out there, but I've had better luck with eyes then I have with Level X...

Sumthinwicked
09-05-2008, 03:26 PM
pgp!

lasrsktr
09-05-2008, 03:31 PM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u110/lasrsktr/IMG_1110Large.jpg

How about an Emaggo...

Electro pneumatic AutoMag!

The bad thing is its still a mag, but thats still the best thing about it :clap:

Eyes can easily be added if you wanted to drill into the body and then you would have unlimited(limited by valve and hopper) ROF....

And its a very fun marker.

MAGslinger
09-05-2008, 03:33 PM
I love mags, but they're kinda out because of air efficiency :( They do stand up to most electro's out there, but I've had better luck with eyes then I have with Level X...

Wrong! Except for the X-Valve (which guzzles gas like a Tippmann), both the Classic and the Minimag have a internal regulator preset to 450 psi. I'm able to get 1,100 shots with a 72 ci 3000 psi tank, that's as efficent as the Mag allows. Weather you have a level ten makes no big difference. Short-stroking causes chops and a slow BPS feed rate is also why Mags chop (which is why I use a Halo B with my Minimag). Good luck on your search :headbang:

Warwitch
09-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Ok, advice on not being a gun whore. First off you need to......um...er.....well I guess I got nothing to contribute. But if I was going to pick only one it would have to be an AKA (sorry).

flyingpootang
09-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Wow you eliminated a lot of great markers. For ease of maintenance, unique (cause you don't see them anymore), and cheap. I would go with a Cyborg...

Redbeard the Pirate
09-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Ok, advice on not being a gun whore. First off you need to......um...er.....well I guess I got nothing to contribute. But if I was going to pick only one it would have to be an AKA (sorry).

Hahaha, I'm not HUGEly opposed to using an AKA marker, I'm just worried about the custom work cost to make one entirely unique... would definitely want to mill the crap out of one to make it as light as possible, but I can't personally mill... gah!

MAGslinger
09-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I'd suggest a free membership to gun-whores anonymous.

DUFF MUFFIN
09-05-2008, 04:05 PM
e-blazer! i wish i had one.... :rolleyes:

Zone Drifter
09-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Believe it or not, the most efficient marker I ever owned was a JT Excellerator 3.0/4.0

I mean, it's just a mech spyder clone with no eyes or any type of aanti-chop system (unless you install a spyder acs bolt) but the gun could fire all day on a 9oz. Seriously, it was the perfect money saver, and i could somehow still fire the little thing damn fast thanks to the trigger being so comfortable to pull.

Other than that, can't help ya there. It seems like if you want high bps then you're gonna eat air no matter what gun you use. Hey, if it's free fills all day, most of the time I run out of ammo before i have to refill my mag's 69/4500 tank.

s00per_n00b
09-05-2008, 06:01 PM
how about an alias timmy? They shoot nice, arent a "series" type gun, and I'm pretty sure their pretty efficent since its a poppit style gun. Plus you can find them used for around 350, which is not too bad if you ask me.

Texas Trigger
09-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Vice. Or other Bob Long.

seekandestroy78
09-05-2008, 08:15 PM
any aka marker would stand out now a days. a basic no mill in black is all i would have if i was going to just pick one gun and forget about it.

phizz
09-05-2008, 11:39 PM
tippmann c-3 :tard: can't get more efficient then that.

I have to say I would stick with a viking or excal. Though any of the MACDEVs are nice. Droids and borgs.

Dawg047
09-11-2008, 09:46 AM
I was just in your position. I have always been a mag fanatic. I have been here and have seen it all. I love them, and I have always had one or 2 in my colllection. I just recently downsized from 10 markers in my personal collection to 3 now (not including the guns I am selling). I have my PTP Unibody Micromag, My custom Sheridan SB, and my 06' Eclipse Ego. Let me tell you. I have heard this hipe going around about Ego's at my field. I picked one up and will never put it down. I had it sent away and annoed Dust Gold and it has an Aurora CCU kit on it and I shoot a UL back with Stiff tip. I have never had a marker custom annoed in the 12 years I have been playing and the 100+ guns I have owned I liked it that much. It is amazing, just right for me. It is very air efficient, easy to clean, reliable, and the Aurora against the dust gold blings in peoples faces and is very unique. So, take it from a guy who owns a store and has had every gun imaginable. I really like the Ego and I would consider it highly. Vikings and Excals are nice though, bulky but they shoot nice. I would say Ego or AKA. Macdev makes good stuff but I have heard some beating around the bush about them and another company, *cough* and I just don't think there quality is as high as it used to be. I would love to tell you to go with an Emag but just had one in my hand and I would have to say I like my Ego a bit more just beacuse of weight and simpleness. Thanks and good luck, hope you find the right piece for you.

Dawg047
09-11-2008, 09:48 AM
I was just in your position. I have always been a mag fanatic. I have been here and have seen it all. I love them, and I have always had one or 2 in my colllection. I just recently downsized from 10 markers in my personal collection to 3 now (not including the guns I am selling). I have my PTP Unibody Micromag, My custom Sheridan SB, and my 06' Eclipse Ego. Let me tell you. I have heard this hipe going around about Ego's at my field. I picked one up and will never put it down. I had it sent away and annoed Dust Gold and it has an Aurora CCU kit on it and I shoot a UL back with Stiff tip. I have never had a marker custom annoed in the 12 years I have been playing and the 100+ guns I have owned I liked it that much. It is amazing, just right for me. It is very air efficient, easy to clean, reliable, and the Aurora against the dust gold blings in peoples faces and is very unique. So, take it from a guy who owns a store and has had every gun imaginable. I really like the Ego and I would consider it highly. Vikings and Excals are nice though, bulky but they shoot nice. I would say Ego or AKA. Macdev makes good stuff but I have heard some beating around the bush about them and another company, *cough* and I just don't think there quality is as high as it used to be. I would love to tell you to go with an Emag but just had one in my hand and I would have to say I like my Ego a bit more just beacuse of weight and simpleness. Thanks and good luck, hope you find the right piece for you.

Dawg047
09-11-2008, 09:48 AM

Dawg047
09-11-2008, 09:49 AM

Swiss Cheeze
09-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Way to work on that post count. :rofl:

pmstc
09-11-2008, 11:02 AM
You basically just described a dm/pm marker. I don't know why it matters so much to you that it's not a series? It actually works to your advantage, because you can get used markers that are only a few years old for ridiculously low prices. Especially if you wait until after world cup. Anyway, they're awesome. I have a pm5 as a backup.

B-Pow
09-11-2008, 11:27 AM
You basically just described a dm/pm marker. I don't know why it matters so much to you that it's not a series? It actually works to your advantage, because you can get used markers that are only a few years old for ridiculously low prices. Especially if you wait until after world cup. Anyway, they're awesome. I have a pm5 as a backup.

Maybe, but he described air efficency as a consern, which spool valve markers are not really all that efficent. He also wants something somewhat unique...I can't throw an agglet without hitting 7 matrixes and 8 egos....and I can't throw agglets very far....yet.

Where are matrixes are nice, as is almost every marker made in the last 4 years, they are really not fitting his discription. I've used a matrix before and I really didn't think it was all that fantastic, it didn't live up to all the hype around it, still a great marker but didn't have what I was looking for.

If you really want unique e-blazer, or an e-cockers (now) are rare to see on fields and efficency is good. Poppit valve electros might also be good for you gen3 or gen4 intimidators arn't that common anymore, are efficent, and last a while. 06 or 07 cyborgs are also nice poppit valve markers, and I've only ever seen one on a field...and they have a solid rep as far as I know.

BigEvil
09-11-2008, 11:33 AM
You really cant go wrong with an 06 Macdev Cyborg.

http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/6/16614082733.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic/8300347)

Pneumagger
09-11-2008, 01:45 PM
I was just going to pop into the thread to say "06 Cyborg" - but Scott beat me to it by one post... :cuss:

So my reccomendation is Chili-Dog con Queso.

trevorjk
09-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I was just going to pop into the thread to say "06 Cyborg" - but Scott beat me to it by one post... :cuss:

So my reccomendation is Chili-Dog con Queso.

mmm chili dog con queso

Elemental
09-12-2008, 01:20 AM
I say go for the Viking and then save up for the milling.

trevorjk
09-12-2008, 12:34 PM
I say go for the Viking and then save up for the milling.

or go with an already fairly light gun, that shoots insanely fast and is right up there with a viking in consistency and air consumption. a cyborg. 06 are amazing, 07 is lighter and still amazing. both phenomenal guns

Forsaken9988
09-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Im looking to 'settle down' with a nice pump for regular play so I can hone my skills, have fun, play for cheap, and so forth. I am also planning on picking up an easy electro, like an 06 Etek or something relatively cheap and using that when I need that kind of thing. So that would be my suggestion, get two different types of guns for different times. Maybe its just that I could never go back to just one.

Thotograph
09-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Viking just about meets every criteria you've listed (a borg does too but I think the Viking wins out on character). Talk to me if you want one I might be forced to let one go here soon :(

Warwitch
09-13-2008, 10:01 AM
or go with an already fairly light gun, that shoots insanely fast and is right up there with a viking in consistency and air consumption. a cyborg. 06 are amazing, 07 is lighter and still amazing. both phenomenal guns

We will see how the 'Borgs are holding up after the 4-6 years Vikes have been getting used. ;) Im not knocking them, they do shoot really nice. But there isnt a marker out there that can best a Vike for an "only one gun" guy. And Id place the mech/pneumag right under it.

Pneumagger
09-13-2008, 10:28 AM
For a little history, look up the AKA Evil-M... It's no coincidence that Cyborgs used Merlin Extrusions for a long time.

I'd expect they'll both last just as long as each other. The Vikings and Borgs run so well because they use cartridge components.
The Borg is widely considered a "Stacked Tube Viking".
There is very little wear imparted on the actual guns themselves. Any problems and simply pop in a new cartridge.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd38/thatdoolinkid/th_33tj.jpg (http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd38/thatdoolinkid/33tj.jpg) http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd38/thatdoolinkid/th_26gg.jpg (http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd38/thatdoolinkid/26gg.jpg)

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd38/thatdoolinkid/th_11xc.jpg (http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd38/thatdoolinkid/11xc.jpg) http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd38/thatdoolinkid/th_43aw.jpg (http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd38/thatdoolinkid/43aw.jpg)

Warwitch
09-13-2008, 10:49 AM
For a little history, look up the AKA Evil-M... It's no coincidence that Cyborgs used Merlin Extrusions for a long time.

I'd expect they'll both last just as long as each other. The Vikings and Borgs run so well because they use cartridge components.
The Borg is widely considered a "Stacked Tube Viking".
There is very little wear imparted on the actual guns themselves. Any problems and simply pop in a new cartridge.

lol, Im more than up to date on the Evil M. ;) And I thought only the early Borgs were made from Merlin extrusions? Either way, the body is only one component to the whole. I know a lot of AKA fans have gone to Macdev but at the same time a lot of them havent.

Thotograph
09-13-2008, 11:39 AM
I got a Borg and honestly I found it was kinda dull. I mean it shot/played great but it just didn't excite me like Vikings do. When I think about the Evil M it makes me want to cry, almost. To think what could have been. Still the Viking is incredible and I feel fortunate to have a few prime examples. Get one while you can. Us whoring trolls are hangin onto the good'ns.

Pneumagger
09-13-2008, 01:11 PM
lol, Im more than up to date on the Evil M. ;) And I thought only the early Borgs were made from Merlin extrusions? Either way, the body is only one component to the whole. I know a lot of AKA fans have gone to Macdev but at the same time a lot of them havent.
I believe all the way up through the '06 Borgs used the Merlin base extrusion.
The '07s were the first to change that base layout.

Thotograph
09-13-2008, 02:06 PM
My guess would be 04 & 05 and then the change was made for 06 but thats just me... The 06 and 07 seem to similar to have the change occur between the two. Also they use most of the same guts, the frame geometry and detents are different but not much else besides the top tube milling. Anyone know for certain the lineage of the borg as it relates to merlin extrusions?

Pneumagger
09-13-2008, 04:00 PM
I think the Aedes was built off a Merlin Extrusion. :D

NU_METAL
09-14-2008, 08:13 PM
ok now i would copy & paste one of my PM's from guys ive been getting these day but,......
i wouldn't want that done to me so ill just tell you what some have wrote me as of late and ill just assume that you'll believe me ;)
" i want to down scale and i think im going to sell this gun or two to pay for "ANODIZING"
and quote
so basically i would figure out what marker fits you best ,and then ano it the way you always wanted to/and/or mod it :D and you might even end up w/ some extra bling in your pocket !
oh and im not trying to sell you a service ,i just thought this might help you out a little in your decision making :headbang: w/ the economy being the way it is an all
NU_