PDA

View Full Version : So what's the deal with the Freak Barrels?

smoke63b
09-07-2008, 10:43 PM
For those that have tried it, do you think picking up a Freak Barrel set for an automag is a good investment? I know all about paint matching and stuff but I'm trying to figure out if this is really the only barrel I'll need if I invest the money for the set. Any input would help especially if you own and use a set. Thanks!

Looper
09-08-2008, 03:44 AM
For those that have tried it, do you think picking up a Freak Barrel set for an automag is a good investment? I know all about paint matching and stuff but I'm trying to figure out if this is really the only barrel I'll need if I invest the money for the set. Any input would help especially if you own and use a set. Thanks!

This past winter I sold all my insert kits, SS Freak and Scepter, and invested in a Ti Longbow kit. This is My personal preference, but I'll never go back to inserts. I bought the Titanium kit but I find myself using the .687 Ti back the most.

remember you ask 10 people this question you will get 10 different answers. The best thing you can do is experience it for yourself and if you don't like it, sell it in the BST.

Good luck with that...

Aidoneus
09-08-2008, 07:12 AM
I've had a freak for a few years now. Got it back when i used an autococker too keep the balls from rolling out the barrel. Since then i've used it on my fs8 and my tac-one. And honestly i think im more accurate with the stock barrel the tac-one came with. I'd say you should try to find sombody that has one and try it out before you buy one.

smoke63b
09-08-2008, 11:12 AM
I've had a freak for a few years now. Got it back when i used an autococker too keep the balls from rolling out the barrel. Since then i've used it on my fs8 and my tac-one. And honestly i think im more accurate with the stock barrel the tac-one came with. I'd say you should try to find sombody that has one and try it out before you buy one.

Well I need a decent barrel anyway since I don't have one lol. I found an Automag Freak back for 20 bucks and bought it. I figure I'll buy a tip and 1 insert at a time and see if I like it. For that price it's not bad I think.

What would you say is the most popular insert to match the majority of paint?

Warwitch
09-08-2008, 12:52 PM
I owned a Freak kit for one day. And then promptly sold it. One of the most cheaply made items to every cross my workbench. And even though I detest SP, thats not why I say such a thing. They really are total crap. Now Ive had mixed results with insert systems. But Ive had the best results with two piece kits. Notably the SM1 Orbium 2.

smoke63b
09-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Cool thanks for that info Warwitch.

As far as barrels go, what would you suggest for a classic automag that's not too difficult to find?

Ruler_Mark
09-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Al freak inserts BLOW, i had a kit put it under my caliper and the .679 was a .694 :tard:

I picked up a SS kit, and they were the perscribed bores. It works great with my DW barrel. However I have enjoyed my alien mayday kit the most.

Smoothice
09-08-2008, 04:37 PM
hmmm.

I totally love my freak kit.

I have 2 compete kits along with an extra complete barrel.

I also had a aci phat kit at one point in time. I loved it also. But I sold it to buy another freak kit :D

PhoenixWolf
09-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Freak kits are good for the rare oddball paint that's completely outside the size range of all other barrel kits, but other than that it's largely obsolete as a barrel system. Modern barrel technology has improved to the point where it's no longer considered a top-of-the-line barrel system, and you can easily outshoot it for less money in most circumstances.

smoke63b
09-09-2008, 01:13 PM
What would you suggest to outshoot it ?

PhoenixWolf
09-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Lots of things will outshoot it. From CP barrels to Lapcos.

phizz
09-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Well I need a decent barrel anyway since I don't have one lol. I found an Automag Freak back for 20 bucks and bought it. I figure I'll buy a tip and 1 insert at a time and see if I like it. For that price it's not bad I think.

What would you say is the most popular insert to match the majority of paint?
689, and 692 are the only backs I usually use with my barrel kits... rare time 684

smoke63b
09-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Good info thanks!

It's tough trying to decide on a barrel to use regularly. It would be nice to be able to just get ONE I like and go with that. My cousin's mag has a 14in AA I think. One of the old school ones with the porting etc. It's the 2-piece that doesn't unscrew. It works great with his gun. Seems to be very accurate compared to a similar barrel I have that's a 12 inch.

BiNumber3
09-10-2008, 12:24 AM
i may be a bit old school with this but i still love my steel backed boomstick for my mag. For the most part, i never have probs with paint match, tho it does happen. Ive also had the titanium ultralight, shot the same for me.
As for the freak, ive only tried it once, didnt really like it too much, plus the back is ugly :P

If u dun wanna spend too much money, see wat size paintballs u use most, or what your fields use the most, n pick from there.

smoke63b
09-10-2008, 09:08 AM
i may be a bit old school with this but i still love my steel backed boomstick for my mag. For the most part, i never have probs with paint match, tho it does happen. Ive also had the titanium ultralight, shot the same for me.
As for the freak, ive only tried it once, didnt really like it too much, plus the back is ugly :P

If u dun wanna spend too much money, see wat size paintballs u use most, or what your fields use the most, n pick from there.

If I'm just looking on paper here and I see my field uses paint that's .686 or something. Would I order a barrel for .689 or .685 or what? Do you go slightly higher or the same or lower?

Spider-TW
09-10-2008, 11:10 AM
If I'm just looking on paper here and I see my field uses paint that's .686 or something. Would I order a barrel for .689 or .685 or what? Do you go slightly higher or the same or lower?
The only difference I've gone by is to go on the large side on open bolt guns (they have detents anyway) and on the tighter side on closed bolt guns. If the paint is good and consistent, I'll try to get a snug fit that I can blow out. The worse the paint gets, the more I will try to pick something for the gun.

I don't worry about measuring accuracy until the velocity is consistent. For velocity, mags don't seem to care too much. Timmies don't like a tight fit since it can slow down the strike on the poppet. My dinky pump cocker does best with a tight fit for velocity and roll-out; with a loose fit on cheap paint it's not worth playing with.

That's really the reason I even have a barrel kit. Sometimes the paint has gone to hell and a kit is all you have to compensate. Other than that, I would probably have a .689 on every marker. That's always been one of my favorite mag features, to be able to throw a party mix of ugly paint scraps in the hopper and play reliably.

Strider
09-10-2008, 03:44 PM
I run my freak barrel when the paint is overly large or small. In those situations, it's performed like a champ.

smoke63b
09-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Cool so the Freak or similar sets can help with whacky paint.

I think I'm going to try and find something with a .689 that's NOT a freak and use it for other stuff to begin with.
Any suggestions on a barrel that comes in that size?

secretweaponevan
09-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Cool so the Freak or similar sets can help with whacky paint.

I think I'm going to try and find something with a .689 that's NOT a freak and use it for other stuff to begin with.
Any suggestions on a barrel that comes in that size?

CP barrels come in .689. They also have 2 pieces and kits.

http://store.customproducts.us/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=1

custar
09-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Try a Python compression kit.

custar

secretweaponevan
09-10-2008, 09:15 PM

custar

I have one. It works well.

smoke63b
09-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the links guys. I might try out one of those CP .689 barrels and grab a front for it. Thanks!

dark blade
09-11-2008, 10:13 AM
i know no one has pointed this out yet. But there was a barrel test done on many sites which actually tested almost every barrel out there and the top 3 accurate and consistant barrels or kits were the

TI titanium longbow
2001 sceptor (i think it was 2001)
and the SP freak kit

Check it out, it really is a great and completely beautiful test... plus they tested with an xmag :) which is lovely to start with.

personally i love my freak because i can get a 5" grouping on semi auto at 100' with ease. but you need to bore correctly since there are so many sizes.

And if you can avoid the AL inserts i would get the Stainless steel because they are more precise in their make and are much more durable (which creates better accuracy and consistancy from batch to batch).

goodluck in your hunt.!

sincerely,
Dark

Spider-TW
09-11-2008, 04:16 PM

custar
My son has a python kit and it does work well. You would think the inserts are too short, but it makes a big difference on small paint. It was very noticeable on my pneumag. I had never seen a rope out of classic valve before; it makes a father proud. :cry: :p

He hasn't needed the python this summer on any marker though.

custar
09-11-2008, 06:07 PM
I forgot to mention Python backs for twist lock bodies are in stock as I type this, making them much easier to find than Freak backs for TL bodies.

custar

Wicked_Silence
09-12-2008, 01:57 AM
Well speaking from a gun whore with very limited funds perspective. I love the freak kit. I mean I have mags, cockers, spyders and evena few pumps. The freak allows me the flexibility to use the same barrel kit on ANY of my markers. I try to keep 1 other barrel as loaners for each gun, but thats it. To cover what the freak can do just in bore sizes, it would take 8 seperate barrels for me, and that many barrels times 3 different guns means alot of barrels sitting around doing nothing. Plus, if I get another gun, I just go out and grab the co-responding back for the gun and I'm good to go. Toss in a few different tips for barrel lenghts and your all set.

I have a friend that has a Hammerhead tip for his freak setup and he loves it. Says he can't really tell the difference between the freak with hammerhead, or the hammerhead kit.