PDA

View Full Version : New to AGD, couple of questions

masta_blasta_21
09-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm considering trying out a mag for the first time in my paintball carreer. I've been playing for 11 years and started with cockers and Angels. Since then I've had just about everything under the sun, but more recently as I enter grad school and my paintball availability becomes more scarce I want to refine my arsenal to just a couple of guns that are really cream of the crop. Right now I'm sitting on an Eclipse cocker (mq2 in the works), AKA Excal (w/some mods), 02 Shocker Sport project (heavily modded), and an 03 Angel Speed that I've had since new, again heavily modded. Mags were always the other side of the tracks to me, never took a venture over there. Recently I've been around reading a bit here and there and have been quite interested in the pneu-mag concept. I have put my shocker project on the chopping block in an effort to get a classic mag to try out and see if I like the field before I begin a pneu-mag project.

I have been offered an X-valve and Intelliframe for my shocker sport project and am coming to you in an effort to see if this is a good deal. I would most likely end up purchasing a classic body and rail just to keep costs low and give the gun a shot. If I didn't like the mag (doubtful) would the X-valve sell easily? If I were to keep it and build a pneu-mag is the X-valve a good way to go?

Here is a pic of the valve
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr309/brendon_ak/Picture013.jpg

I'm sure I'll have many more questions and I have much reading to do (stickies, ect.) I'm open to all comments and pieces of advice that you guys want to share.

Thanks,
Brendon

snoopay700
09-08-2008, 04:39 PM
X valves go for around 200 used, sometimes more sometimes less. Used intelliframes go for anywhere from 60 or so up to 100, so expect more around 75 or so. That's about what you'd get back if you sold it, so it's up to you if you think the shocker is worth that. If you go through with it, be sure to get a new powerfeed plug if you plan on using a force feed loader.

masta_blasta_21
09-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the reply

The valve comes with a level 10 so I may just stick with a revvy to save weight, and old school coolness.

I've heard of problems getting level 10's set up properly and some people going with a level 7 instead, gaining some efficiency and reliability. Care to comment?

cyberave68
09-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Level X can be picky but its good to learn how to tune it so you can adjust it as needed. Once it is tunned properly you can play all day and not chop a single paintball. I have had a coupld of barrel brakes from not doing a complete pull and release but thats about it. As for going Pneumag. The X-valve is the way to go. i would also recomend the ULT kit as well. If you have more questions about Pneumags please feel free to PM me...

Cy

masta_blasta_21
09-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the resource, I'll be in contact with you.

It sounds as if I'll be doing this trade, just want to wait a bit to see if anything else comes up. Does the level 10 work well with the pneu-mag concept? When you talk about not pulling the trigger completely do you mean short stroking it?

punkncat
09-08-2008, 09:04 PM
With the economy the way it is there have been some exceptional deals going on for complete markers. If you are looking to go with a classic aside from the valve you should be able to pick something up pretty cheap right now.
With your future plans to pneumag, make sure and get an intelliframe (there are others that work, this frame is common and cheap) so you will have room for all the parts you need. As was stated above the Xvalve with ULT will be the way to go for that.
Regular x valves with RT on/off and LX w/ parts routinely go for $180 and sometimes less. You can even find them with the ULT for that if you are quick. They come and go in waves, so be diligent.

I would think that trading that valve for an old shoebox is a pretty good deal, just due to the lack of hassle. I think you will come out better finding a complete classic mag on a deal for the remainder of what you need. One deal, one package to be shipped and everything you will need to have a working marker.

masta_blasta_21
09-09-2008, 01:00 PM
I think I'm going to trade for the valve, fiscally it makes sense and if I do like mags I'll have the best valve to work with, and a decent trigger frame.

I've found a nice classic on ebay right now, powerfeed and a cp barrel. For the time being this should be enough, the classic with an intelliframe and xvalve on it, don't you think?

jade_monkey07
09-09-2008, 01:11 PM
that is definitely a good start to your new obsession :p i started with a tac-one with xvalve and have moved backwards from there by picking up a classic and a retro valve. I recently recieved one of the new Gforce pnue frames and it shoots the classic valve Very well, Retro valve even better, and the x blows both of those out of the water. I personally dont use a ult with the setup. im not sure if the do it yourself pnue mags need it or not either, from what i understand it will just make you able to run the lpr at a lower pressure = lighter pull.

masta_blasta_21
09-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Yea those gforce frames look great. There is one up for sale already modded for pneu operation. I think the price tag on those frames is a bit to high for me at the moment. For the shocker I'm getting an xvalve and intelliframe so I should be set for a while.

I haven't played with a right feed in a while so the powerfeed body will be a throw back. Where do I find the parobolic powerfeed plugs?

snoopay700
09-09-2008, 05:51 PM
http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=401&categoryID=92

Right there would be the parabolic ones, and using a halo you can see that there is a difference, it won't feed with the old plug.

Also, jade, if your x shoots better than your retro, maybe you need to rebuild your retro.

masta_blasta_21
09-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Nice, I'll have to get my hands on those

How much lighter are the ule bodies than the stock powerfeed body? Does converting your mag to pneu operation add much weight?

snoopay700
09-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Nice, I'll have to get my hands on those

How much lighter are the ule bodies than the stock powerfeed body? Does converting your mag to pneu operation add much weight?
The ULE should be fairly lighter, but i've never had one so i'm not the guy to ask.

Making your frame pneumatic adds a little weight, but it's not noticeable, and most of the weight comes from the lpr usually.