PDA

View Full Version : Reserve battery circuit idea for the warp

hitech
01-24-2002, 05:20 PM
A previous thread that discussed some idea of a "reserve" type of battery configuration for the warp feed got me thinking. My idea is to have two 9 volt batteries in parallel. When the voltage level in the batteries drops enough to cause problems a switch would change the configuration of the batteries to series. The voltage would then double. The batteries wouldn't last very long, but I think they would last long enough to finish a game. Here is a circuit diagram illustrating what I am proposing.

Note: the switch shown would be one physical switch.

Cypres0099
01-24-2002, 09:11 PM
I think you are talking about the thread that I made.

I'm not really sure if your idea would work or if it's that much different from mine but.....

What I ended up doing is getting a center off switch, ON/OFF/ON from radio shack and just running off of one battery untill it gets too low and then just flipping the switch all the way to the other side for a fresh new battery.

It's pretty much the same thing that I said in my post just sacrificing the parrallel. And it is a bit more practical since there is just one switch and you gain an on/off.

zads27
01-24-2002, 09:30 PM
Hm, what you're looking for in terms of a switch is a DPDT switch (dual pole, dual throw)..

It sounds ok as an idea, it's different from the on/off/on switch idea with two batteries.
The problem with your idea is that you might overload your warp. For instance.. say your voltage drops from 9v per battery to 7v per battery. If you flip that switch at the wrong time (too early), you'll slam 14 volts into it, and fry the board.

hitech
01-24-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Cypres0099
And it is a bit more practical since there is just one switch and you gain an on/off.

"Mine" would only be one switch also, and I assume it could also have an off in the center position.

hitech
01-24-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by zads27
Hm, what you're looking for in terms of a switch is a DPDT switch (dual pole, dual throw)..

Thanks, I never can remember which is which.

The problem with your idea is that you might overload your warp...If you flip that switch at the wrong time (too early), you'll slam 14 volts into it, and fry the board.

It is my understanding that the Warp Feed can be powered with up to 18 volts (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If not, then your right, and it would be a BAD idea.

Paintchucker
01-24-2002, 10:10 PM
Not an EE, but that looks like it would work. If I read you diagram correctly, with it flipped to the left as shown, it will run two batteries in parralel for double capacity at 9v, then when flipped to the right, the batteries switch to being in series and would provide double voltage of whatever is left in the battery... Very nice design. I like it!!!

I had a very similar design for a fan before JT came out with their fan. Basically, I took a little fan from radio shack and wired it to a little black box that was designed to be a remote control box, and an on/off/on switch. I screwed 1 9v into the unit, and put one behind the removable panel on the box. I was a little different than you were. I ran one side of the switch as strictly a 9v coming off the bottom battery behind the removable panel, and then had a turbo mode when the switch was flipped the other way. In turbo mode, I had the two batteries in series for double voltage. Now that masks tend to be more fog free, it is a little overkill, but it would clear a fully fogged mask in 5 seconds. Of course, my design was made to run off the battery I could replace quickly for the majority of the time and then have a longer lived battery for turbo mode that you had to dis-assemble the box to replace. Best thing was you could make a super fan that would fit almost any mask and cost about $25. :)

zads27
01-24-2002, 10:29 PM
From the Warp Feed Manual on airgun.com:

"Never put more than 12 volts into the system!"

Muzikman
01-25-2002, 10:53 AM
Take the same design and throw a 12V regulator on it. Then you never have to worry about frying the warp board. But honestly, has anyone here run out of batteries in their Warp while playing a game? And if so, how offten do you check your batteries. I think the best thing to do would be to design a built in battery tester for the warp.:)

hitech
01-25-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Paintchucker
I had a very similar design for a fan before JT came out with their fan.

Right now I have two fans on my goggles. They are running on one 9 volt battery. I might try my parallel/series idea for a "turbo" boost idea. Thanks for the idea. :D

hitech
01-25-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Muzikman
Take the same design and throw a 12V regulator on it. Then you never have to worry about frying the warp board.

Would a 12 volt zenner(sp?) work?

Originally posted by Muzikman
But honestly, has anyone here run out of batteries in their Warp while playing a game? And if so, how offten do you check your batteries. I think the best thing to do would be to design a built in battery tester for the warp.:)

Well, I don't have a warp yet. Someone on here complained about their batteries dieing in a game and got me to thinking (a bad, bad idea ;) ).

Cypres0099
01-25-2002, 04:39 PM
I said something about my batteries dying in a game a while ago but that was before I set the dwell.

It was turning 1 whole turn as apposed to the 1/4 turn it should have been.:eek: And I still got 2000 shots out of it.

Get one it will transform your game.:p

Vegeta
01-25-2002, 05:40 PM
Here is a more simple design that doesn't boost power, but would switch to another 9V battery. Works with a DPST switch, easy to wire:

zads27
01-25-2002, 06:00 PM
Vegeta.. the right battery is flipped in that sketch.

No, a 'zener' would not work. well, assuming you made your own voltage reg out of a zener.. it would. but why bother when there already is a 12v reg out there.

hitech
01-25-2002, 06:22 PM
No, a 'zener' would not work. well, assuming you made your own voltage reg out of a zener.. it would. but why bother when there already is a 12v reg out there.

What would a simple voltage reg cost? I wouldn't want this to cost a lot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you use a zener to regulate voltage?

hitech
01-25-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Cypres0099
Get one it will transform your game.:p

It is my next "big" purchase. Even before a HPA tank. :D

zads27
01-25-2002, 07:13 PM
Not quite certain how much the regs are, but.. it's like $5 or something

hitech
01-25-2002, 07:36 PM
Not quite certain how much the regs are, but.. it's like $5 or something

I guess a trip to Radio Shack is in order. Thanks.

Shaft
01-25-2002, 07:50 PM
A zener would work fine, but it's considered bad form. I rely on zeners for overvoltage protection. Using a regulator is better, more reliable. Cost is a buck or two retail. 7812 or 78L12 Regs are common easy to find parts.

zads27
01-25-2002, 10:46 PM
Just Checked RadioShack.com..
I hope you're sitting down for this..
$1.49

hope it doesn't break the bank.

hitech
01-28-2002, 09:01 AM
Thanks guys. <$2 I think I can handle. ;)