PDA

View Full Version : Similarities/Differences between the Ego and Vice?

punkncat
09-17-2008, 10:30 AM
I have been noticing the Vice showing up around local fields. Very nice looking and feeling marker. I cannot help but notice that in feel, weight and looks that is a lot similar to the Ego7/8.

I know how funny that is to say, when beyond a doubt the Ego is almost a direct rip off of a Timmy.

So I was wondering, what is the same/different about the two markers. I know a few of the obvious things like they look a little different and the Vice offers the 4x eyes. But otherwise are they pretty much the same thing?

georgeyew
09-17-2008, 11:17 AM
I've been noticing the same thing. I am seeing more and more vices around. I still think that the Egos have an auora around them, but people are starting to realize that they can have the same level of performance at a lower cost.

Toll
09-17-2008, 11:41 AM
There are only two "differences" in high end markers and that's the valve. Everything else is really just the same thing play wise.

Dirge
09-17-2008, 01:18 PM
The main difference is the price. Functionality is almost identical, though I think the Vice has a higher shot count and lower operating pressure. I can easily get a case out of mine. The Ego dose have a higher firing rate, but much beyond 20 bps is quite redundant. They are both very simplistic markers and easy to maintain.

Hope this helps.

68magOwner
09-17-2008, 03:21 PM
the protege/vice will be more efficent and smoother/quieter than the average ego. They also have very different feels, but not a ton is different.

The Vice/Protege has a milled in expansion chamber in the frame which helps with being so small/light and running such low pressures.

The egos have the QEVs on the rammer housing.

I prefer bobs markers, but have to shoot eclipse because of sponsors.

B-Pow
09-17-2008, 03:55 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but since the 05 egos (or maybe 06) PE got away from ram sleeves and went to "integrated" ram sleeves (aka milled directly into the body). Bob Long's stacked tube markers still use a ram sleeve, so if you have an issue with it it's a sleeve replacement instead of body replacement.

I haven't used an ego with a zick kit, but every ego I've sampled has been louder and has had more kick than the stock 06 intimidator I own.

My opinion is, out of the egos, eteks, vice, protoge, and gen 4 intimidators...get the one that fits your hands better and is in your budget....they will all preform above what you're allowed to do and are easy to maintain.

If I was getting a gen 5 intimidator, I'd get the protoge because I actually don't like the way the vice looks. But if Bob Long is good at anything it's producing several looks for the same marker so you can find one you like.

Even if you see the gen 5 intimidators as "lower preformance" they still work on 210-230 psi hpr, 65-75 lpr, and are able to put out around 26 +/- bps (numbers off their advertisments...so some variation off that would be normal). What more do you think you need...

summary: the only real diffrence is minor hardware diffrences, minor max preformance diffrences, and major price diffrences.