PDA

View Full Version : The Bicycle Menace

SCpoloRicker
09-18-2008, 01:52 PM
A Cool and Logical Analysis
of the Bicycle Menace
And an Examination of the Actions Necessary to License, Regulate,
or Abolish Entirely This Dreadful Peril on our Roads

Our nation is afflicted with a plague of bicycles. Everywhere the public right-of-way is glutted with whirring, unbalanced contraptions of rubber, wire, and cheap steel pipe. Riders of these flimsy appliances pay no heed to stop signs or red lights. They dart from between parked cars, dash along double yellow lines, and whiz through crosswalks right over the toes of law-abiding citizens like me.

In the cities, every lamppost, tree, and street sign is disfigured by a bicycle slathered in chains and locks. And elevators must be shared with the cycling faddist so attached to his "moron's bath-chair" that he has to take it with him everywhere he goes.

In the country, one cannot drive around a curve or over the crest of a hill without encountering a gaggle of huffing bicyclers spread across the road in suicidal phalanx.

Even the wilderness is not safe from infestation, as there is now such a thing as an off-road bicycle and a horrible sport called "bicycle-cross."

The ungainly geometry and primitive mechanicals of the bicycle are an offense to the eye. The grimy and perspiring riders of the bicycle are an offense to the nose. And the very existence of the bicycle is an offense to reason and wisdom.

PRINCIPAL ARGUMENTS WHICH MAY BE MARSHALED AGAINST BICYCLES

1. Bicycles are childish
Bicycles have their proper place, and that place is under small boys delivering evening papers. Insofar as children are too short to see over the dashboards of cars and too small to keep motorcycles upright at intersections, bicycles are suitable vehicles for them. But what are we to make of an adult in a suit and tie pedaling his way to work? Are we to assume he still delivers newspapers for a living? If not, do we want a doctor, lawyer, or business executive who plays with toys? St. Paul, in his First Epistle to the Corinthians, 13:11, said, "When I became a man, I put away childish things." He did not say, "When I became a man, I put away childish things and got more elaborate and expensive childish things from France and Japan."

Considering the image projected, bicycling commuters might as well propel themselves to the office with one knee in a red Radio Flyer wagon.

2. Bicycles are undignified
A certain childishness is, no doubt, excusable. But going about in public with one's head between one's knees and one's rump protruding in the air is nobody's idea of acceptable behavior.

It is impossible for an adult to sit on a bicycle without looking the fool. There is a type of woman, in particular, who should never assume the bicycling posture. This is the woman of ample proportions. Standing on her own feet she is a figure to admire-classical in her beauty and a symbol, throughout history, of sensuality, maternal virtue, and plenty. Mounted on a bicycle, she is a laughingstock.

In a world where loss of human dignity is such a grave and all-pervading issue, what can we say about people who voluntarily relinquish all of theirs and go around looking at best like Quixote on Rosinante and more often like something in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade? Can such people be trusted? Is a person with so little self-respect likely to have any respect for you?

3. Bicycles are unsafe
Bicycles are top-heavy, have poor brakes, and provide no protection to their riders. Bicycles are also made up of many hard and sharp components which, in collision, can do grave damage to people and the paint finish on automobiles. Bicycles are dangerous things.

Of course, there's nothing wrong, per se, with dangerous things. Speedboats, racecars, fine shotguns, whiskey, and love are all very dangerous. Bicycles, however, are dangerous without being any fun. You can't shoot pheasants with a bicycle or water-ski behind it or go 150 miles an hour or even mix it with soda and ice. And the idea of getting romantic on top of a bicycle is alarming. All you can do with one of these ten-speed sink traps is grow tired and sore and fall off it.

Being dangerous without being fun puts bicycles in a category with open-heart surgery, the war in Vietnam, the South Bronx, and divorce. Sensible people do all that they can to avoid such things as these.

4. Bicycles are un-American
We are a nation that worships speed and power. And for good reason. Without power we would still be part of England and everybody would be out of work. And if it weren't for speed, it would take us all months to fly to L.A., get involved in the movie business, and become rich and famous.

Bicycles are too slow and impuissant for a country like ours. They belong in Czechoslovakia...

5. I don't like the kind of people who ride bicycles
At least I think I don't. I don't actually know anyone who rides a bicycle. But the people I see on bicycles look like organic-gardening zealots who advocate federal regulation of bedtime and want American foreign policy to be dictated by UNICEF. These people should be confined.

I apologize if I have the wrong impression. It may be that bicycle riders are all members of the New York Stock Exchange, Methodist bishops, retired Marine Corps drill instructors, and other solid citizens. However, the fact that they cycle around in broad daylight making themselves look like idiots indicates that they're crazy anyway and should be confined just the same.

6. Bicycles are unfair
Bicycles use the same roads as cars and trucks yet they pay no gasoline tax, carry no license plates, are not required to have insurance, and are not subject to DOT, CAFE, or NHTSA regulations. Furthermore, bicyclists do not have to take driver's examinations, have eye tests when they're over sixty-five, carry registration papers with them, or submit to breathalyzer tests under the threat of law. And they never get caught in radar traps.

The fact (see No. 5, above) that bicycles are ridden by the very people who most favor government interference in life makes the bicycle's special status not only unfair but an outright incitement to riot.

Equality before the law is the cornerstone of democracy. Bicycles should be made to carry twenty-gallon tanks of gasoline. They should be equipped with twelve-volt batteries and a full complement of taillights, headlamps, and turn signals. They should have seat belts, air bags, and safety-glass windows too. And every bicycle rider should be inspected once a year for hazardous defects and be made to wear a number plate hanging around his neck and another on the seat of his pants.

7. Bicycles are good exercise
And so is swinging through trees on your tail. Mankind has invested more than four million years of evolution in the attempt to avoid physical exertion. Now a group of backward-thinking atavists mounted on foot-powered pairs of Hula-Hoops would have us pumping our legs, gritting our teeth, and searing our lungs as though we were being chased across the Pleistocene savanna by saber-toothed tigers. Think of the hopes, the dreams, the effort, the brilliance, the pure force of will that, over the eons, has gone into the creation of the Cadillac Coupe de Ville. Bicycle riders would have us throw all this on the ash heap of history.

What must be done about about the bicycle threat?
Fortunately, nothing. Frustrated truck drivers and irate cabbies make a point of running bicycles off the road. Terrified old ladies jam umbrella ferrules into wheel spokes as bicycles rush by them on sidewalks. And all of us have occasion to back over bicycles that are haplessly parked.

Bicycles are quiet and slight, difficult for normal motorized humans to see and hear. People pull out in front of bicycles, open car doors in their path, and drive through intersections filled with the things. The insubstantial bicycle and its unshielded rider are defenseless against these actions. It's a simple matter of natural selection. The bicycle will be extinct within the decade. And what a relief that will be.

tech-chan
09-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Actually, considering gas's price....

Im pretty sure the car as you know it will be extinct within 10 years.

I feel swell after any bike ride, don't use any gas and get a great leg workout.

Lohman446
09-18-2008, 02:08 PM

I feel swell after any bike ride, don't use any gas and get a great leg workout.

I'm pretty sure not. We have the habit of applying our situation to everyone else. Considering the closest grocery store is about 10 miles from my house (and there are others out there) I doubt cars will ever be extinct.

tech-chan
09-18-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm pretty sure not. We have the habit of applying our situation to everyone else. Considering the closest grocery store is about 10 miles from my house (and there are others out there) I doubt cars will ever be extinct.

I said "as you know it." Im fairly sure it will be entirely redesigned or something.

snoopay700
09-18-2008, 02:43 PM
I ride a bike around the city, and i may not wiat for every red light, but i'm still courteous, not every person who rides a bike is like the people you describe.

Warwitch
09-18-2008, 03:04 PM
I ride a bike around the city, and i may not wiat for every red light, but i'm still courteous, not every person who rides a bike is like the people you describe.

QFT. I ride a bike too and do not fall into the described category.

And yet I CURSE those that continue to ride in the freaking road. Wether you have the right is not the point. Is it worth getting hit by a teenage text messager? Are you really so self serving that you think everyone in traffic should have to cater to you? :cuss:

Be a man and get a mountain bike. Skinny tires and spandex are :sleeping:

questionful
09-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Cycling is cool. I'll read that behemoth of a post later, but I just wanted to add 1 to the "bikes are cool" side.

Why Cycling is Cool

1. It uses a bicycle, which is cool. Kind of like how paintball is cool because mags are cool.

2. MUCH lower co2 emissions than a car.

3. Freakin crazy cardio.

4. A bicycle takes up less space than a car.

5. Cheaper than getting around with a car (short range).

snoopay700
09-18-2008, 03:47 PM
QFT. I ride a bike too and do not fall into the described category.

And yet I CURSE those that continue to ride in the freaking road. Wether you have the right is not the point. Is it worth getting hit by a teenage text messager? Are you really so self serving that you think everyone in traffic should have to cater to you? :cuss:

Be a man and get a mountain bike. Skinny tires and spandex are :sleeping:
Hey, i'm getting one of those cause mountain bikes suck for the city. Spandex is stupid, but a fixed gear road bike is magnificent for the city, and i live in milwaukee so yeah.

questionful
09-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Fixed gear eh? I want one of those some day, I just don't know how much of a PITA it would be. So you like it?

snoopay700
09-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Fixed gear eh? I want one of those some day, I just don't know how much of a PITA it would be. So you like it?
I rode my brother's and it's pretty amazing, it's different, and you can't stop pedaling on a hill, but that's good actually for pedaling at high rpms, and all you need is a front brake, although a back might not be a bad idea to have for emergencies. But yeah, i've been riding my mountain bike like a fixed gear for a few weeks now, only using my front brake, making sure i pedal constantly, and for the city (not like a suburban type city, i mean a big one with roads where it's illegal to ride on the side walks) it's great. I should ride in a lower gear than i do since the gear i ride in has about 8 fewer teeth than most fixed gears.

Warwitch
09-18-2008, 04:53 PM
I rode my brother's and it's pretty amazing, it's different, and you can't stop pedaling on a hill, but that's good actually for pedaling at high rpms, and all you need is a front brake, although a back might not be a bad idea to have for emergencies. But yeah, i've been riding my mountain bike like a fixed gear for a few weeks now, only using my front brake, making sure i pedal constantly, and for the city (not like a suburban type city, i mean a big one with roads where it's illegal to ride on the side walks) it's great. I should ride in a lower gear than i do since the gear i ride in has about 8 fewer teeth than most fixed gears.

Thats cool. Ive always thought of rigging mine up to just run a front derailleur. 3 gears is plenty. :rolleyes:

SCpoloRicker
09-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Fixed gear is sooooo 2006.

It's all about 'Cross these days.

/y'all probably still jam out to Joy Division ;)

skife
09-18-2008, 06:59 PM
there was this dumb broad riding her bike down the side walk at my work (i work in a strip mall) I felt obligated to whip the door open as she was flying through there, fortunatally she hit the door, her and her child in the seat strapped to the bike hurled to the ground.

there was a warm feeling inside me after that.

snoopay700
09-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Fixed gear is sooooo 2006.

It's all about 'Cross these days.

/y'all probably still jam out to Joy Division ;)
Yeah, not doing it cause of the fad, doing it mainly cause they're fun as hell, i thought they were bunk until i actually rode one, it was amazing.

k.rollin
09-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Bicycles are top-heavy, have poor brakes, and provide no protection to their riders. Bicycles are also made up of many hard and sharp components which, in collision, can do grave damage to people and the paint finish on automobiles. Bicycles are dangerous things.

I'll have you know that my bicycle has massive disc brakes that probably perform better than whatever brakes that are installed on whatever you use for transportation. In addition, I have yet to see any vehicle that was incapable of causing damage to people or property. For your sake, I surely hope you are joking. If you're not please QFT. Also, I have been stopped for speeding on my bicycle, so don't complain about equality on the roadways; cops will stop you if you're speeding on a bike.

SCpoloRicker
09-19-2008, 12:06 AM

O'RLY?

CaptaiN_JacK
09-19-2008, 12:08 AM
I lived in Amsterdam for 5 months this past spring and you wouldn't believe how much their society depends on the bicycle to get around. They don't have parking lots in Amsterdam; they have bike lots. You don't take your suv to the grocery store once a week; you ride your bike there every other day. You don't get a DD to drive you to the bars; everyone rides their bikes in a caravan of drunk singing people. You don't ride shotgun; you ride on the back of your friends bike (straddle or off to one side, whichever you prefer).

I miss Amsterdam :(

But...I bought a bike over here at a garage sale that reminds me of A'dam, a 1970's Free Spirit, complete with a sturdy back rack (for carrying the ladies), wheel generator with front and back lights, and fenders to prevent back spray when it's wet. All this for $20!

snoopay700
09-19-2008, 12:11 AM
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/1739/aorlyiz1.jpg
Fixed.

k.rollin
09-19-2008, 04:30 AM
The asterisk was their so that my post would be at least one character in length, since a quote, no matter what modification you make to it, does not count as an original post.

SCpoloRicker
09-19-2008, 01:17 PM
snoopay700:

Well done. :)

k.rollin:

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/6/3/whysoserious128569788451068586.jpg

Pneumagger
09-19-2008, 01:56 PM
O'RLY?
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/jrm33/ORLYhamster.gif

snoopay700
09-19-2008, 02:18 PM
snoopay700:

Well done. :)

k.rollin:

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/6/3/whysoserious128569788451068586.jpg
Haha, i need to modify that picture and post it back up here, i'll be back.

Edit:

Done, wish i had photoshop still, would have looked 100 times better:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/rebelsk8r700/whysoserious2.jpg

BiNumber3
09-19-2008, 02:34 PM
I assumed the first post was there for humor with some truth:D

I love biking, but bikin on roads n wat not can be scary, drivers are freaking scary. (4year old girl got run over in a neighborhood right near where i go for paintball needs)

But yea, nowadays, in most american cities, it'd be impossible to bike everywhere unless yer fit n have the time to get from place to place.

Phaelynar
09-19-2008, 03:26 PM

I'm gonna say nope. There's too many individuals that won't be able to afford a "completely redesigned" car that runs on an alternative fuel source. As is stands now there's tons of people driving cars 10-30 years old on the road. Why? Because either they're classic cars and hold a monetary value, or the individual cannot afford something newer even though it may net him better mileage.

I'm sure there exists designs for engines that get 100 miles to the gallon, and cars that run on no gasoline that would be cheaper or as cheap as current vehicles but the oil industry will not allow them to be produced. These people have nearly unlimited supplies of money, and would instantly try to quash something with a dollar sign that could potentially harm their business.

snoopay700
09-19-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm gonna say nope. There's too many individuals that won't be able to afford a "completely redesigned" car that runs on an alternative fuel source. As is stands now there's tons of people driving cars 10-30 years old on the road. Why? Because either they're classic cars and hold a monetary value, or the individual cannot afford something newer even though it may net him better mileage.

I'm sure there exists designs for engines that get 100 miles to the gallon, and cars that run on no gasoline that would be cheaper or as cheap as current vehicles but the oil industry will not allow them to be produced. These people have nearly unlimited supplies of money, and would instantly try to quash something with a dollar sign that could potentially harm their business.
Cellulosic Ethanol. Can be cheaper and much much cleaner, and all you would have to do is spend 100 to replace fuel lines made of rubber.

That's in the future of course right now it's a bit more expensive than gas.

questionful
09-19-2008, 03:51 PM
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION

BiNumber3
09-19-2008, 04:20 PM
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION

wat's that?

SCpoloRicker
09-19-2008, 07:45 PM
wat's that?

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u231/cheezeguy/n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

grEnAlEins
09-19-2008, 07:48 PM
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6942/frostedbuttsvw4.jpg

MANN
09-19-2008, 08:04 PM

I will guarantee you that as long as I am alive there will be cars. Actually I would dare to guess I will still have the car that I own today in 10 years.

Coralis
09-20-2008, 08:33 PM
To the OP :tard: Ive been commuting to work via a bicycle now for 4 years and I can assure you there far more idiots in cars then there are on bicycles.

Bolter
09-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Biking is great! Ive just been to Scotland for a week and probably racked up 80 miles through wonderful Scottish woodland.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/Bolter77/Scotland08031.jpg

this is my "Blue Steel" look :)