PDA

View Full Version : Online car parts store?

Eagle
09-18-2008, 06:14 PM
I have a 2003 Grand Am and will need some new brake pads and rotors soon, I'm thinking of getting some slotted or drilled rotors. Anybody have a suggested brand or suggested online retailer?

Lohman446
09-18-2008, 06:27 PM
You don't have the braking power to take advantage of the properties of cross drilled and vented rotors. Its highly unlikely you have the driving habits to require it. Aside from spending money you are gaining nothing. That said Raybestos does make a performance line (as does Brembo) that will help lighten your wallet.

skife
09-18-2008, 06:45 PM
I've also read slotted and drilled rotors are more prone to cracking

why not just go down to NAPA and get the parts?

snoopay700
09-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Cross drilled rotors are a scam that make it look high performance, if you think about it a normal rotor would be better for reducing heat since there's more mass. There's more on this if you look around. Get the stock parts.

michbich
09-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Cross drilled rotors are a scam that make it look high performance, if you think about it a normal rotor would be better for reducing heat since there's more mass. There's more on this if you look around. Get the stock parts.

I'm not the car expert, but sloted or/and drilled rotors have little effet on cooling to my knowledge, (probably have a little more surface area, so cooling "should" be more efficient but not noticeable). It has to do with expanding gas created from the friction between brake pad material and rotor. Redussing the force exerted on the rotor if it's not vented properly. Is that right or i'm way off?

skife
09-19-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm not the car expert, but sloted or/and drilled rotors have little effet on cooling to my knowledge, (probably have a little more surface area, so cooling "should" be more efficient but not noticeable). It has to do with expanding gas created from the friction between brake pad material and rotor. Redussing the force exerted on the rotor if it's not vented properly. Is that right or i'm way off?

i think your right.

snoopay700
09-19-2008, 10:57 AM
But since there's less mass they get a lot hotter a lot quicker, and on a track with many consecutive turns they aren't that great of an idea. Plus if they're drilled instead of cast they can tear up your brake pads from the small amounts of metal sticking up from the drilling, not all drilled ones but i've heard of quite a few where that can happen.

michbich
09-19-2008, 03:03 PM
But since there's less mass they get a lot hotter a lot quicker, and on a track with many consecutive turns they aren't that great of an idea. Plus if they're drilled instead of cast they can tear up your brake pads from the small amounts of metal sticking up from the drilling, not all drilled ones but i've heard of quite a few where that can happen.

I think the same way. I was just pointing out that the slotted and/or drilled rotors did have some advantages over normal ones but also disadvantages.

I don't know wich is better. On one side, you have a bigger mass. On the other, you have a bit smaller mass but more surface area. Is the difference in mass more important than surface area? Granted, more mass means that it will take more time to heat, but it will also take more time to cool down. Depends on the application, personal preference I guess and size of wallet.

Lohman446
09-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Testing does show that cross drilled rotors actually absorb heat quicker than standard but also disipitate that heat MUCH faster. And yes, the idea of shoe out-gassing is there, but frankly thats been added recenty. There are other benefits theorized, including allowing a spot for water to go in wet braking.

REGARDLESS your Grand Am does not have the braking power to need any of the benefits, or even use them. In fact your ABS system likely prevents you from even coming close to needing them.

You will see no advantage over a HIGH QUALITY (not cheapest bidder) standard rotor.

snoopay700
09-19-2008, 03:18 PM
I think the same way. I was just pointing out that the slotted and/or drilled rotors did have some advantages over normal ones but also disadvantages.

I don't know wich is better. On one side, you have a bigger mass. On the other, you have a bit smaller mass but more surface area. Is the difference in mass more important than surface area? Granted, more mass means that it will take more time to heat, but it will also take more time to cool down. Depends on the application, personal preference I guess and size of wallet.
I've heard arguments for both sides, and frankly it doesn't seem worth the money unless you're a sponsored racer.

Lohman446
09-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Sure theres an argument for. With a TOTAL BRAKE SYTEM designed around the qualities that they bring there is an advantage, especially on a system designed to be pushed to the limits.

However the Grand Ams hydraulic brake system coupled with the ABS unit (not to mention the limiting factor of traction due to tire size and STREET TIRES) are not designed to be able to take advantage of them.

thecavemankevin
09-19-2008, 10:27 PM
great parts store here (www.ebay.com)

skife
09-19-2008, 10:50 PM
great parts store here (www.ebay.com)

just pay attention to your brands when buying from there.

there is ALOT of chinese junk

ManInBlack
09-20-2008, 07:06 AM
Seriously, just go to your local parts store. They'll offer you two kinds of rotors, ones made here and ones made in china. Get the ones made here, most of the time they have a lifetime guarantee against warping. They're a bit more expensive, it's worth it. Also, they will have at least 3 levels of brake pads. Don't choose the cheapest ones and you'll be fine.

Lohman446
09-20-2008, 07:13 AM
Seriously, just go to your local parts store. They'll offer you two kinds of rotors, ones made here and ones made in china. Get the ones made here, most of the time they have a lifetime guarantee against warping. They're a bit more expensive, it's worth it. Also, they will have at least 3 levels of brake pads. Don't choose the cheapest ones and you'll be fine.

Actually most of the major companies have even switched there premium lines to made in China (recently). That being said there is generally a healthy difference in quality between the cheapest ones and one step up. Funny thing about China, they build to the tolerances specs given to them, you can build quality in China, you just have to pay for it and most don't. Raybestos "professional grade" (blue box / sticker) has proven to be a decent mid grade line, Brembo offers a reasonable mid grade line as well. The cheapest lines (generally the private label ones offered by chain stores) have been, at best, problematic. There are other lines out there that are decent as well. I install a lot of the Raybestos professional grade without a lot of issues.

Hint, the Raybestos professional grade rotors part number ends with an R.