PDA

View Full Version : Electric Lawnmowers

Eagle
09-19-2008, 07:22 PM
My moms old lawnmower has died and she is looking for a new one. She has inquired about an electric lawnmower. What can you guys tell me about them? Are they reliable?What else can you tell me?

Sumthinwicked
09-19-2008, 07:34 PM
you should so mod one to battery that would be cool.... 4 emag batteries powered lawmower good for 120000 shots or 4 hours of cutting LOL

MANN
09-19-2008, 07:49 PM
I know a guy down the street mows with one. He has a tiny yard tho. He uses what appear to be ~6 10' extension cords. He has used it for over 2 years. I dont know him, but laugh every time I see him mowing/weed eating with all of his cords stretching across the yard.

As for a woman. its not a bad idea. especially with the way gas is going these days.

TwilightG
09-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Never used one myself but I gotta think that it's less maintenance than gas powered.

I do admit that it looks kind of funny to have an extension cord trailing behind but probably because it's out of the norm. (Although, I use an electric trimmer/edger and no one laughs at me :argh: )

michbich
09-19-2008, 08:55 PM
My grandmother had one about 10 years ago and never let us down till the day we got rid of it.

mtaylor
09-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Get cordless if you can, cords are a huge pain to deal with.

Eagle
09-20-2008, 07:24 PM
ok well scratch the electric, the one I found is $400, and she doesn't want to spend more than $200. Anyone know anything about Craftsman lawnmowers? I love their hand tools, but hate their power tools. I know my parents had one of their mowers about 20 years ago and it sucked, any new news concerning them?

TwilightG
09-20-2008, 08:41 PM
I have a Craftsman right now. No complaints yet but have only had it for a little over a year.

.. has a Briggs and Stratton engine.

Unlike the hand tools, the mowers do not have the same lifetime warranty :(

MANN
09-21-2008, 12:25 PM
I have one.. had it for ~ 4 years. has a honda engine. Never had any problems.

bornl33t
09-22-2008, 12:39 AM
craigslist

The brand of the mower is irrelevant. Briggs, honda, tecumseh, kuboda, kohler are all good engines to name a few. The price is for the steel on the deck and a name. If you correctly maintenance the engine it will last a lifetime. For the price of a new mower you can buy 4-8 off craigslist. I bought a used grasshopper out of the 80s with a briggs and it's still running strong!!!

E-mowers are ridiculous. A couple of trees will ruin your day...and a misstep will ruin your cord, with the price of copper those cords are not to be toyed with....

sffudapparel
09-22-2008, 05:23 PM
what's up with these cords??? I have never seen a corded one??

I know my boss at work has a e-mower and My dad is looking at one. Kinda like a plug in hybrid thing, plug it in, charge, and go