PDA

View Full Version : Marker for my wife. What to get?

smoke63b
09-20-2008, 01:00 PM
I would like to get a marker for my wife so she can go play with me without renting equipment. We already have masks, tanks etc...
I'm looking for something extremely cheap but not cheaply made if that makes sense. Something simple, light, not made out of plastic like a wal-mart gun. I was contemplating a blowback like a spyder or clone of some kind. Been out of paintball long enough that I don't know what all is out there right now.
I know she doesn't really want electric. It needs to be light or I'd get her a classic mag. (She's only 5'3" and a small person) She likes blue :D

Ok. Any suggestions? Under 50 bucks would be awesome and she hates the MR1 (it's big too).

Ninjeff
09-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Try digging up an Autococker trilogy. those can be had for cheap and are pretty reliable

bryceeden
09-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Look at the Spyder Extra or Pilot, they're both smaller and inexpensive.

cyclic
09-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Keep an eye on ebay, last week a got a Spyder with tank, hopper, and electronic trigger for $17 can't beat that for a wifes gun.

grEnAlEins
09-20-2008, 01:30 PM
here (http://cgi.ebay.com/WGP-Select-Fire-Trilogy-Competition-Blue-Black_W0QQitemZ250295519756QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m250295519756&_trkparms=72%3A1163|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A13 18&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)
or
here ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyder-Victor-Paintball-Gun-Blue-Used-w-Hopper_W0QQitemZ270275838815QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em270275838815&_trkparms=72%3A1163|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A13 18&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

Those fit the bill as of now.

:cheers:

EDIT: That guy is gouging on the shipping price of that cocker though...

snoopay700
09-20-2008, 01:44 PM
I'll vouch for the victor, i love that gun, i've got the one with a foregrip.

sffudapparel
09-20-2008, 01:55 PM
I'll vouch for the victor, i love that gun, i've got the one with a foregrip.

ditto. My buddy has one and swears by it. It's sooo dang on light too

esperto96
09-20-2008, 02:02 PM
How into the game is she? If she really loves it a lot, then you might want to invest a little more than $50 into a gun that she will actually like. My wife swears by her A-5 that used to be my A-5. Its a bit hefty but it is sturdy and reliable, just the way she likes it. She would be upset with me if I gave her a crap gun while I shot my nice ones.

For the dirt cheap shooters & loaners we picked up a pair of used Spyder Classics for about $40 each. We haven't used them more than once yet though. We've got better guns and haven't had to loan them out.

For decent low cost markers I'd recommend:
Spyders or Piranhas
Autocockers (Pro Stock or Trilogy)
Tippmanns (especially if you can get an older Pro-Lite or Pro-Carbine)

ThePixelGuru
09-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Classic 'mags aren't that heavy. Sounds like your wife is about the same size as my girlfriend, and I got her a classic 'mag. You just have to show her how to shoulder it right so she doesn't tire herself out too much carrying it. Besides, if she's anything like my girlfriend she'll want something pretty, and that's a great excuse to buy a spiffy splash kit. Also, if she's 5'3" she'll definitely appreciate the compactness of a classic 'mag - holding a Tippmann or the like can be kind of a stretch for someone of that frame.

http://i37.tinypic.com/kbwvoy.jpg

Just remember to install all the newbie-friendly features, like an on/off and a CO2 setup that makes it tough to dump liquid into the line. She'll enjoy paintballing that much more if she doesn't have to keep replacing o-rings or bringing it to you to figure out why it stopped working or why the valve got all frosty.

BiNumber3
09-20-2008, 03:14 PM
well u could always try to find a micromag:) a silver micro with blue accents would be nice imo

Ruler_Mark
09-20-2008, 03:22 PM
http://akaog.org/forums/gallery/1_20_09_08_2_05_19.PNG

snoopay700
09-20-2008, 03:45 PM
While we're posting expensive markers. :rolleyes:
http://www.docsmachine.com/galleries/xmag2.jpg

grEnAlEins
09-20-2008, 04:46 PM
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8696/i226050sq01yb4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
:p

Seriously though, you may want to invest a bit more, as others have said. On thing to do would be to get her a plain jane mag and let her accessorize it the way she wants. It will be a bit pricier, but then she will have a degree of understanding when you decide you want upgrades, even if only cosmetic. Kill two birds with on paintball bud ;)

MANN
09-20-2008, 05:38 PM
She wont play unless she enjoys it. Get her a decent marker. My wife is small 5'3" and I got her a mini (and sold her xmag) she loves it. I know its 250 more than what you want to pay, but it will be worth it.

Xmagterror
09-20-2008, 06:00 PM
The girls always go for the Ripper mags...LOL
Find her one of those.

Ruler_Mark
09-20-2008, 06:12 PM
The girls always go for the Ripper mags...LOL
Find her one of those.

Yea so while on the field if all the sweaty teenagers or overweight middle-agers get her groove on she can go hide behind a dorito and get some friction on. :clap:

smoke63b
09-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Great advice guys thanks for all of the info.

To begin with 50 dollars is plenty. If she decides she wants to keep playing we can get something nicer later on and keep the under 50 gun for a loaner as I have a few friends that will play with us from time to time and don't have guns.

My number 1 preference would be to get her a ULE'd mag that's light and set up just like the one pixelguru posted. That is a beautiful mag btw. I'd love to have that mag for myself!!

SHE doesn't want to spend more than 50 dollars right now and getting her into paintball needs to be on her terms and not mine. I'm sure she'll love it but her biggest complaint is the amount of money I like to spend on a gun and going to scenario games and the like. So one thing that gets her interested is when I tell her she doesn't NEED to spend much money at all except to buy paint. I do it as a hobby for her it will be more of a do something with me kind of thing. Over time she'll probably get more into it.

So until I piece together another mag that's full ULE and lighter than mine I just want something cheap that's comfortable and compact.

I had actually thought about one of those Trilogy cockers. The price tag being that low on something that's considered an autococker kinda scared me away from it though. My main gun back in the day was a very nice autococker and I absolutely loved it. I know the Trilogy's are quite a bit different than a standard cocker which is a good thing for someone like my wife who would be completely turned off by all the tweaking involved on an oldschool cocker. I may check out the trilogy's if they're considered decent markers for the price.

I loved my Spyders back in the day as well and thought about picking up some sort of Spyder for this as well.

Ruler_Mark
09-20-2008, 06:42 PM
you want a reliable back-up just say no to the piss poor cockers that wgp has been making recently.

Thotograph
09-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Yea so while on the field if all the sweaty teenagers or overweight middle-agers get her groove on she can go hide behind a dorito and get some friction on. :clap:

You're so refined Mark... where do you summer? The Hamptons? No it must be Martha's Vineyard...

If I had a girlfriend she'd probably shoot either a mini or mech mag. Weight and size wise its hard to beat the mini but if she insists on a mech the only sound choice is a mag. You can build one decently light. Even with a classic valve you can swap you can get ULE for everything besides the valve. Go for quality that will last.

You never mentioned what you shoot. You can save a little dough by getting something that takes the same barrels etc.

smoke63b
09-20-2008, 06:45 PM
I shoot a classic mag. It's pretty much bone stock internally with classic rail and a right powerfeed body. I love it. I carry a 68/45 tank on it with a little drop forward and a gas through bike grip on the front. Still my favorite gun I've ever owned. We don't do any speedball kind of stuff. Mostly woodsball and scenario games here and there.

behemoth
09-20-2008, 07:03 PM
You're so refined Mark... where do you summer? The Hamptons? No it must be Martha's Vineyard...

I thought it was damn hilarious.

MANN
09-20-2008, 07:14 PM
So until I piece together another mag that's full ULE and lighter than mine I just want something cheap that's comfortable and compact.

No one has fun getting schooled while playing paintball. While the marker is not going to make a difference in yours or my hands in a rookie you want them to have a marker that is dependable, and is not going to break balls/ shoot horrible.

Pick up a 50 dollar gun. YOU use it, and let her use yours. Then it is a win win. she doesnt have to spend money. She enjoys herself. You profit. :dance:

garbageman705
09-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Just pick up another classic mag for about 120 or so.

Thotograph
09-20-2008, 07:28 PM
I thought it was funny too but I had to poke fun at the man. You should see him eat BBQ. It gets pretty fierce.

Ruler_Mark
09-20-2008, 07:31 PM
The slogan for the body should be "ribbed for extreme pleasure, we mean visual"

oh yes BBQ mmmmm. back doo--err yard bbq is great next to the field by here. and there are some fina ladys with niiiice juggs when it comes evening time. they were training this new girl, I just stared right at them.. she didnt come back to the table :mad:

Thotograph
09-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Remember when we caught pre shift change?? That was rough.

(Says with a struggling voice) Must not OT... trying to stay... on topic.

So a gun for the misses... of the suggestions you've mentioned to her what does she like? Maybe try building a classic mag with a Y frame. Might help her shoulder the weight easier. Just make sure you use some thin panels. Those frames were pretty fat as I remember (I had wood panels which were also pretty wide on my Y).

Ruler_Mark
09-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Remember when we caught pre shift change?? That was rough.

(Says with a struggling voice) Must not OT... trying to stay... on topic.

So a gun for the misses... of the suggestions you've mentioned to her what does she like? Maybe try building a classic mag with a Y frame. Might help her shoulder the weight easier. Just make sure you use some thin panels. Those frames were pretty fat as I remember (I had wood panels which were also pretty wide on my Y).

duuuuude were you there for the chain smoking crack whore? she was soooo raspy and bon-ey jesus..

on topic:
ever thing of getting yourself a viking? let her use the mechmag

smoke63b
09-20-2008, 07:53 PM
No one has fun getting schooled while playing paintball. While the marker is not going to make a difference in yours or my hands in a rookie you want them to have a marker that is dependable, and is not going to break balls/ shoot horrible.

Pick up a 50 dollar gun. YOU use it, and let her use yours. Then it is a win win. she doesnt have to spend money. She enjoys herself. You profit. :dance:

I don't think we need to worry about her getting "schooled" because she's using a mech spyder or something. I used a classic spyder for YEARS and probably only broke about 4 to 6 balls in it ever. Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to spend more than 50 dollars to get a paintball gun that works reliably. Now wearing out faster than another or something maybe. I'm talking mechanical too. When you get into electro guns obviously cheap can have a whole new meaning. As far as simple blowbacks and the like go, there are quality guns to be had under 50 bucks. Also, she doesn't like my mag. It's too heavy for her to be comfortable with in its current state. That's the only reason I'm not buying a second mag right away. I would need to ULE it to make it light enough for her to enjoy.

Storminnorman
09-20-2008, 08:04 PM
My old lady loves her mini and shes only 4'8(which makes her extremely lethal in speedball because she is smaller than every bunker) :eek: . I did make her play with a rainmaker to start out and not a stock one either. It made her appreciate her mini a lot more when she got it. Hey that Xmag is my xmags twin PURPLE IS THE NEW MAN COLOR
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3230/2529320445_aff74d6f3f.jpg?v=0

Ruler_Mark
09-20-2008, 08:15 PM
another mini for the wifey person, sounds liek a consensus to me.

that xmag is a distant relative of my viking

http://akaog.org/forums/gallery/1_20_09_08_12_45_16.PNG

smoke63b
09-20-2008, 08:20 PM
I think a mini is overkill at this point for my wife. She'd refuse to play with it cause it cost too much :D

going_home
09-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Do just what your gut told you to do, get a good used (but inexpensive) marker for her and...
1) if she keeps playing then get her a better marker , or....
2) if she quits playing fairly quickly (like most ladies tend to do) you didnt spend a bunch

By the way, this thread went over the cliff 15 posts ago :tard:

:ninja:

Storminnorman
09-20-2008, 09:28 PM
I would say Tippmann pro carbine. You can find them from $60 to $100. Might need some cleaning but they always work and pretty balanced.
I just found one on the pbnation for $60 I will pm you the link.

k.rollin
09-20-2008, 11:59 PM
SS bodied mags aren't to heavy, unless you play with a big steel HPA tank like I've been doing for a little while. I'd just get a mag for her if I were you. I just picked up minimag, with a 20 oz co2 tank, hopper, expansion chamber, flame drop, and a hybrid push button on/off for $75 on ebay a few weeks ago.

BiNumber3
09-21-2008, 02:48 AM
id prolly stay away from cockers for her, all my cockers weigh more than any of my mags, despite my mags bein stainless with huge drops, hell one has a steel boomstick.
I don't recall how heavy a spyder or similar is tho, but at least those are crazy cheap (well, they can be), pretty easy to maintain/repair.

Also how is your mag setup? maybe set it up with bare minimum n see how she likes it then (assumin there'll be that much of a difference)?

trevorjk
09-21-2008, 12:41 PM

this. play with a spyder or what ever you want for a while. then when your wife grows to love your gun, you then have all the reason in the world to go out and make the fantasy mag for your self :cheers: