PDA

View Full Version : Need help: Tank reg stuck in asa

Speedballer666
09-23-2008, 03:03 AM
Ok, i got the new reg installed on my tank a week before this happend. I got my tank stuck in my asa, when i was screwing it in i felt alittle more resistance than usual but not much, i shot around with it alittle bit and went to unscrew it, it came out alittle bit with some force but its not budging anymore. While i was trying to unscrew it the tank started unscrewing from the reg! I got scared because the guage said it still had some pressure. I decided to just put it down and take it to an airsmith. The problem is, the only paintball store left in my city just closed down. Any advice?

bjyourk
09-23-2008, 05:41 AM
My guess..... it is cross-threaded. Only thing to do is maybe put a wrench on the reg. Or take the asa off and try it that way.

I know it's new, but sounds like something may have to be bought again :cry:

BiNumber3
09-23-2008, 06:39 AM
Is yer asa an on/off asa or no? either way, try to get the air out of the tank, safest way is to use the asa, but if thats not possible i'd suggest slightly unscrewing the lower pressure burst disk on the tank reg, just enough to let air leak. If that's too unsafe for you or other think its not then don't do it.

Once the tank is empty, try unscrewin again, if it still doesnt work, then just unscrew the tank, n set it aside. Take the asa off the gun, that way you're just working with the asa n the reg.

Once u do that, u can try usin a vice and a strap wrench.

If that still dun work, i personally would just take a dremel to the asa. Only if all other options are out tho.

georgeyew
09-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Or you can screw the burst disk to empty the tank. Then you can unscrew the tank to deal with the reg/ASA.

Spider-TW
09-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Put some Kroil, cutting fluid or other penetrating oil on it and let it soak a half hour or longer before you really crank on it. It may save a little of the threads and it should help save some of the other parts that are attached. If the connection looks straight, one of the sets of threads may not be cut right. Once the metal starts to gall, it can make a mess of what was a minor interference in the fit. Get some lube in it and work it slowly.

Ruler_Mark
09-23-2008, 09:32 AM
strap wrench

punkncat
09-23-2008, 09:44 AM
I am guessing that you have unscrewed it far enough that you can no longer dry fire all the air out?

I have had a similar situation on duckbill ASA's with HP output tanks, and found that firing while unscrewing helped a lot.

Hilltop Customs
09-23-2008, 10:01 AM
I cant see someone cross threading an asa and getting it screwed in far enough to actually work, so I'm guessing its just the friction of the threads thats making it hard.

emptying the tank would be the first thing to try....reducing the pressure in there will help immensely....its the first thing to try.

heating the asa section will help......if you remove the asa from the gun and the reg from the tank you could boil some water, and dunk the asa half into the boiling water. Or you could just use a torch being careful not to overheat the reg(melt o-rings) You have to be quick, the goal is get the asa hot while the reg remains at room temp.

Or you could throw the whole thing in the fridge/freezer, then do the boiling water/torch on the asa half. This increases the temp difference.

Strap wreches will help a lot if the reg/asa is round and not squared off.

Speedballer666
09-24-2008, 12:35 AM
The asa is an on/off, the reg is a Myth mini. I have already detached the asa so i know the pin isnt actually engaged, so its not the pressure keeping it on. I am assuming they used the wrong kind of Loctite on the tank reg (shouldn't it take mechanical force to unscrew?) so i still have to address that issue. Thanks for the help guys. At this point im thinkin i should just send it off somewhere to get it all worked out. Any suggestions?

questionful
09-24-2008, 01:00 AM
well with an on/off ASA, just vent all the pressure and try the stuff that's been posted, starting with the least destructive.

Nah, do it yourself, just be SAFE. Vent all that pressure.

trevorjk
09-24-2008, 02:10 AM
worst case scenerio, you should only get a blast of air from the tank if you unscrew the myth reg to much. as it has passages milled into the threads so that if it does unscrew from the bottle that it vents air before becoming a missle

Speedballer666
09-24-2008, 03:53 AM
Ok, i have vented the air. I have gotten alot of ideas on how to seperate the reg and ASA that i will try tomarrow after work. I want to just detach everything and start new. Im alittle worried about how the threads are going to come out, i dont really care about the asa but i dont want to have to buy another reg. Im actually thinking that taking a Dremel to it is the most realistic solution, but i will try a few of the methods u guys posted before that.

I dont access to a clamp, and i've heard using a strap wrench is not a good idea. how should i got about re attaching the reg to the tank safely?

trevorjk
09-24-2008, 04:01 AM
to attached the reg to the tank, its simple. a small small dab of medium strength loctite to keep the reg from not coming off the tank is all i would personally use. just put the reg on hand tight and use a strap wrench of some kind to torque it in ever so lightly, just enough to seal the top threads where that o-ring is at.

but thats what i would do