PDA

View Full Version : Older classic valve more collectable? And general rambling...

punkncat
09-24-2008, 11:27 PM
A fellow brought in an old Minimag today at the shop. It had an older classic valve, lazered Minimag, and was a really low MM#.

I am no expert on the older valve, but I would guess at this being a lvl5 valve. It had a nut on the back at the velocity adjuster. The bolt itself was recessed, rather than having the Lvl 7 "dome" inside. I did not actually take the powertube apart, but I noted than in the left over bits of his rebuild kit it had springs that I know were at one point found in there.

He had an old Nitroduck 3K/118 adjustable on a cradle, had an old rusted and worn out pro-connect. The bottle is near the 15 year mark, so IIRC it would not be worth rehydro. We took it off and kept all the cradle bits.

The marker itself was not particularly notable otherwise, with composite frame missing the safety, SP wood grips, Armson barrel and a polished mini body. Since the only Minimags I have seen stock came with a vert ASA setup, and this one didn't have a hole in the front of the rail, I was of the assumption that it was not the original. I also suspected that given the age of the valve, I would have expected to see a metal frame, rather than the composite.

So, am I correct on my assumptions, and is there anything particularly collectable about the lvl 5 version if that is what it is?

I actually worked on it for a moment and got it to fire. It will need a new bolt spring, and a rebuild wouldn't hurt it.
Is $50 too much or too little to offer for such a thing?

Dewok82
09-25-2008, 08:34 AM
I know Minimags were released shortly after the original Automags (1991ish), but I doubt they came out early enough for any to have a Level 5 valve. The recessed bolt and the velocity adjuster nut don't really matter - I've seen many Level 7s with the older style bolt and RVA.

Here's the easy way to tell:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/studley192/opentop.jpg

Level 5s are somewhat collectible within certain circles. I haven't seen one for sale in a while, but I'm sure it would command a premium over a Level 7 valve.

If you can get it for $50, Level 5 or not, that's a bargain.

Sanchito
09-25-2008, 10:25 AM
IMHO 50$ is an amazing price for a working mag regardless of how collectible it is.

warpfeedmod
09-25-2008, 03:39 PM
I know Minimags were released shortly after the original Automags (1991ish), but I doubt they came out early enough for any to have a Level 5 valve. The recessed bolt and the velocity adjuster nut don't really matter - I've seen many Level 7s with the older style bolt and RVA.

Here's the easy way to tell:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/studley192/opentop.jpg

Level 5s are somewhat collectible within certain circles. I haven't seen one for sale in a while, but I'm sure it would command a premium over a Level 7 valve.

If you can get it for $50, Level 5 or not, that's a bargain.

Top one is level 5?

I've got a mag with a valve like that (classic) and my friend I'm pretty sure has two classics with valves like that.

Only reason I say that is the indent where the bolt hits against the valve.