PDA

View Full Version : Direct Buy

thecavemankevin
09-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Well, my wife and i are looking at buying a house that needs lots of renovations. We've heard that Directbuy buying club is a good deal for this sort of thing. However, it also sounds a bit suspicious. Anyone here have any experience with them?

ManInBlack
10-01-2008, 08:37 AM
You have to pay money to be part of the club, and unless you're going to buy a hell of a lot of stuff, it's probably not worth it.

grEnAlEins
10-01-2008, 10:40 AM
They'll give you a tour if you make an appointment. I would look into it, but don't let them pressure you.

SCpoloRicker
10-01-2008, 12:08 PM
No experience with them, but I'm not planning on changing that.

Big'n slo
10-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Not worth your time.
I've dealt with them before when I worked in construction.
I could always fine a better price online.

Last I heard membership was around $4k-6k

Sundown
10-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Not worth your time.
I've dealt with them before when I worked in construction.
I could always fine a better price online.

Last I heard membership was around $4k-6k

Holly cow?? really?
you need to be a member to buy from direct buy and membership is around 4k$

Wow.. I was going to visit the place.. but if it costs that much.. I will never mind :) haha

Hilltop Customs
10-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Have any kids? encourage them to get a job at lowes, 10% off normally, 20% off for a few days around Christmas not to mention access to computers to see which items are discontinued and selling for literally 90% off. While working at lowes I saved thousands of dollars while working on a pole barn, and also got my mom carpet installed for less than 50% of the regular price...hard to beat that for a birthday present :D

IDK how anal they are about checking for people getting hired, buying stuff, and quitting.....but you can always plead the fif or just say "it was not my original intention to leave the position so quickly but I am not satisfied working here." :ninja:

If I ever have another big project, I will go back and work weekends there again just for the discount.

thecavemankevin
10-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Have any kids? encourage them to get a job at lowes, 10% off normally, 20% off for a few days around Christmas not to mention access to computers to see which items are discontinued and selling for literally 90% off. While working at lowes I saved thousands of dollars while working on a pole barn, and also got my mom carpet installed for less than 50% of the regular price...hard to beat that for a birthday present :D

IDK how anal they are about checking for people getting hired, buying stuff, and quitting.....but you can always plead the fif or just say "it was not my original intention to leave the position so quickly but I am not satisfied working here." :ninja:

If I ever have another big project, I will go back and work weekends there again just for the discount.

Thought about doing that, but really don't have the time considering I've got a full time job, part/full time business, family and now this project. I may be able to buy the stuff at discount, but would never have time to install the stuff.

And yes you do have to pay to be a member. It's different depending on where you live, but 4-6k is likely. We will be buying a TON of stuff. The house we are buying has been gutted, so it needs everything including flooring, cabinets, doors, windows, plus all the electrical, plumbing and hvac. So it may be worth it, but i wanted to see if any of yall had any personal experiance with them.

Oh and they say you only have one chance to become a member after the tour. If you don't sign up then, you're SOL. Not sure how they track it. I'm sure it can be fooled.

Hexis
10-02-2008, 09:12 AM
My parents are members (I still can't figure out why), so when my Wife and I were ready for a new range we looked at DirectBuy. We ended up buying via a local appliance vendor for $2k. I think we could have had the same range for $1750 via DirectBuy, but it would have not been delivered, limited to factory warranty (we got an extended) and it would have taken 6 to 8 weeks to be delivered (from the local vendor it was 4 days, because it was out of stock).

So the way I see it:
High startup costs.
Very long lead times for delivery.
Limited product availability.
Nahhhhhhh, no thanks.

I'll never buy into that scam. Minor savings at best, if you are furnishing a few houses, with a ton of headaches.